The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language

Good evening all,

I've done a question 1 from the June 2014 paper, if anyone would be kind enough to mark it for me, please? I'll put it in a second post below.

As well as this, is there any general advice you could give me for the Language paper tomorrow, please? I tend to struggle with this paper and I do really want to get an A*. I got a mid-A in my controlled assessment, so how well do I need to do in this paper in order to achieve an A*?

If there is any advice you could give on any questions (but specifically 4, 5 and 6), that would be most appreciated.

Good luck to all who are sitting the exam tomorrow.
Banana :h::h:
Reply 1
AQA ENGLISH LANGUAGE PAPER - JUNE 2014
‘With friends likethese…’
1) From reading the article, what do you understand from the article about the issues the writer has with Facebook? (8)

It is immediately evident that the writer dislikes Facebook, ‘I despise Facebook’, which makes it instantly clear that the article is going to be a development of this point and will elaborate on the reasons as to why he feels this way. He then describes Facebook as ‘enormously successful’, thus inferring that he is rather alone in his viewpoint as many others do like Facebook.

The writer goes on to point out a major flaw in social media sites such as Facebook; ‘it actually isolates us at our workstations’, which expresses his view that he finds the idea of Facebook to be illogical and hypocritical.

Next, the writer criticises the people who use Facebook in addition to the site itself, ‘Facebook appeals to a kind of vanity and self-importance in us’, which shows that he dislikes the fact that people use Facebook in order to indulge in their self-admiration. In fact, the writer displays great disdain for those who choose to portray themselves via an online profile.

The writer also talks about the epically increasing number of Facebook users, ‘2 million new people join each week,’ and he calls those with Facebook profiles ‘59 million suckers’. This reveals the writer’s sense of self-pride and superiority, which is perhaps rather hypocritical of him as earlier in the article he expressed his dislike for the ‘vanity and self-importance’ that Facebook encourages.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Bump! :h::h:
Reply 3
Original post by Banana00
AQA ENGLISH LANGUAGE PAPER - JUNE 2014
‘With friends likethese…’
1) From reading the article, what do you understand from the article about the issues the writer has with Facebook? (8)

It is immediately evident that the writer dislikes Facebook, ‘I despise Facebook’, which makes it instantly clear that the article is going to be a development of this point and will elaborate on the reasons as to why he feels this way. He then describes Facebook as ‘enormously successful’, thus inferring that he is rather alone in his viewpoint as many others do like Facebook.

The writer goes on to point out a major flaw in social media sites such as Facebook; ‘it actually isolates us at our workstations’, which expresses his view that he finds the idea of Facebook to be illogical and hypocritical.

Next, the writer criticises the people who use Facebook in addition to the site itself, ‘Facebook appeals to a kind of vanity and self-importance in us’, which shows that he dislikes the fact that people use Facebook in order to indulge in their self-admiration. In fact, the writer displays great disdain for those who choose to portray themselves via an online profile.

The writer also talks about the epically increasing number of Facebook users, ‘2 million new people join each week,’ and he calls those with Facebook profiles ‘59 million suckers’. This reveals the writer’s sense of self-pride and superiority, which is perhaps rather hypocritical of him as earlier in the article he expressed his dislike for the ‘vanity and self-importance’ that Facebook encourages.

Please make sure you use 'infer' correctly. The text doesn't infer, it implies whereas you can infer from the text. Ensure that you always make these more perceptive points and don't go over time too! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thomas-cowley
Please make sure you use 'infer' correctly. The text doesn't infer, it implies whereas you can infer from the text. Ensure that you always make these more perceptive points and don't go over time too! :smile:

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately I have seen it a little late but at least I didn't use the word infer in the exam - phew! :h::h:
Reply 5
Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately I have seen it a little late but at least I didn't use the word infer in the exam - phew! :h::h:

Ahh great! and no problem. How was the exam for you?
Reply 6
Original post by thomas-cowley
Ahh great! and no problem. How was the exam for you?

It was okay - I'm not too sure how well I did, but I don't think (or at least I hope!) that I did terribly. I only managed to write two paragraphs for question 4 because of time constraints and I don't think that my answer for question 6 was very good, but oh well. I'm just glad that it's all done now! :h::h:

How did you find the exam?
It was okay - I'm not too sure how well I did, but I don't think (or at least I hope!) that I did terribly. I only managed to write two paragraphs for question 4 because of time constraints and I don't think that my answer for question 6 was very good, but oh well. I'm just glad that it's all done now! :h::h:

How did you find the exam?

It was awful I missed question 3 which is a 8 marker I started at the back as the teacher told me too I felt that I spent too long on the address which resulted me into rushing the artcile. I pray to god I achieve a c grade because in the controlled assesments I got band 4 two high band 3 and band2. I felt that I failed this one :frown:
its okay, but its too repetitive' the writer' also you can try analyse it in depth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending