The Student Room Group

Do I really need my AS grades to apply to Uni?

Like.. what if you're predicted grade B's but that prevents you from getting onto the course you want however... in reality, you get grade A's instead and manage to reach the requirements of the degree? Do you have to take a gap year to apply again with those grades? Do predictions play that much of a big role that your actual grades dont matter as much to get in?
Reply 1
What did you get in AS?
Original post by Seytonic
What did you get in AS?

I haven't gotten my results yet.. it was just a general question as I know I have done so much worse than needed. And for this year, these AS grades dont even count, like.. they dont get added up to our whole A-level and are just used for predictions. I will have to redo them with A2.
Reply 3
Original post by Kittyholicrimmy
I haven't gotten my results yet.. it was just a general question as I know I have done so much worse than needed. And for this year, these AS grades dont even count, like.. they dont get added up to our whole A-level and are just used for predictions. I will have to redo them with A2.

AS grades are seen as a guideline to what you'll get next year, I got AAB last year, but I've got offers ranging up to A*A*A, so if you only get marginally worse than the required grades then its no big deal, however if I got ABB then I probably wouldn't have got that offer. Though you could take a gap year and re-apply if they are very bad.
AS grades are seen as a guideline to what you'll get next year, I got AAB last year, but I've got offers ranging up to A*A*A, so if you only get marginally worse than the required grades then its no big deal, however if I got ABB then I probably wouldn't have got that offer. Though you could take a gap year and re-apply if they are very bad.

A gap year is necessary to re-apply?
Reply 5
Does anyone have an idea, how the admission tutors might consider my offer? I am applying for course, where the condition was to get 70% on Maths and 70% overall (Polish Matura). I took two maths exams, one on the basic level, where the lowest mark I received is 80%, but the advanced level was super hard this year and I am expecting around 40-50%... I am not scared about the overall score, because I did pretty good in other written exams, and received two 100% marks from the oral exams (I had 8 exams in total). Could I still be accepted? And do they consider how I did in comparison with other students, as we get the percentage of how many students had the same or lower mark?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes you need AS as an indicator of your potential. For example if you get BBC, AAA/A* unis are very unlikely to give you an offer as most people who apply to them have AAA, unless you have lost of extracurricular stuff then some may still accept you. For example I gpt BBB at AS and Durham gave me an offer of AAA, and after speaking to them the main reason was because I did 2 summer schools, had an internship at UCL and I used to play netball internationally
Reply 7
Original post by Julia987
Does anyone have an idea, how the admission tutors might consider my offer? I am applying for course, where the condition was to get 70% on Maths and 70% overall (Polish Matura). I took two maths exams, one on the basic level, where the lowest mark I received is 80%, but the advanced level was super hard this year and I am expecting around 40-50%... I am not scared about the overall score, because I did pretty good in other written exams, and received two 100% marks from the oral exams (I had 8 exams in total). Could I still be accepted? And do they consider how I did in comparison with other students, as we get the percentage of how many students had the same or lower mark?

It depends on the university, for higher tier unis you could be in trouble. For lower or mid tier unis if you miss the offer by a grade they'll usually still let you in.

A gap year is necessary to re-apply?

If you're going to wait till you get your full A level results before you re-apply then you'll be re-applying next September, so you'll have a year off.
It depends on the university, for higher tier unis you could be in trouble. For lower or mid tier unis if you miss the offer by a grade they'll usually still let you in.

If you're going to wait till you get your full A level results before you re-apply then you'll be re-applying next September, so you'll have a year off.

so do I just chill and do nothing lol or would they want to know how productive I have been within the one year off? Sorry about so many questions btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
so do I just chill and do nothing lol or would they want to know how productive I have been within the one year off?

I'm assuming you're applying for medicine. From what I hear from friends applying for medicine is that experience in health care environments is very useful, eg: volunteering. So you may want to look into that. If you're applying to one of the better unis then they would definitely frown upon taking a gap year just to chill.
I'm assuming you're applying for medicine. From what I hear from friends applying for medicine is that experience in health care environments is very useful, eg: volunteering. So you may want to look into that. If you're applying to one of the better unis then they would definitely frown upon taking a gap year just to chill.

Indeed I am! I guess I wouldn't mind volunteering and making good use of the gap year to improve myself as an applicant :smile: Thanks!
Hey Kittyholicrimmy, if you do better than your offer, then you might be able to go into what is known as adjustment as part of the normal UCAS process, so you will not need to take a year off... details of adjustment are on the UCAS website here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

This process may well open up more doors for you, so it is worth a read!

Dave (Enquiries, Glyndwr University)
Reply 12
Original post by Glyndŵr University
Hey Kittyholicrimmy, if you do better than your offer, then you might be able to go into what is known as adjustment as part of the normal UCAS process, so you will not need to take a year off... details of adjustment are on the UCAS website here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/adjustment-%E2%80%93-if-you%E2%80%99ve-done-better-expected

Just a point medicine isn't usually in clearing or adjustment as its so oversubscribed. OP. It's best to take a year out and reapply with achieved grades. If your school won't predict you the grades you need to get in there's very little chance you will get in first time around.
Original post by Glyndŵr University

I just read about it and saw their clip on the website, it seems like a great idea and quite fair too tbh; however.. As someone has mentioned before, does this still work for those applying for medicine?
Reply 14
I just read about it and saw their clip on the website, it seems like a great idea and quite fair too tbh; however.. As someone has mentioned before, does this still work for those applying for medicine?

You have to remember getting into medical school is a lot more complicated. You have to do things like ukcat, BMAT and interviews. All of which are taken into account. They won't give an offer without an interview (except for Edinburgh). Instead of adjustment medical schools just give the extra offers to people on their waiting list. Who just missed the cutoff after interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending