The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zkhan31
Its tough, i'm a single mum of 4 and i'm also studying a fulltime access course at college, doing my best but its obviously not good enough I need 30 distinctions for college and so far i've got 23 getting close but its been a tough ride. I hope I can fulfil my dream but right now I feel knocked down. Thanks for replying xx

Oh right! Most of us are only 16 so it's our first time doing this paper. Have you redone this several times then?
Original post by zkhan31
It didn't say letter though did it?
I've just read on here it was a formal letter to the editor. I came out quite confident but not so sure now...
Original post by babymarima
How did everyone find it?

I found that my time keeping f*cked up completely
I had enough time to finish question 6, but I found that I still didn't write enough (one side and a paragraph)
Also question 4 I accidentally analysed 'shoots' in the Bear Grylls source, which I'm not sure is allowed because it was in the sub-headline?

And question 3 is always a misery :'(

Don't worry, it asked you to analyse the sub headline!
Hey i am new to this forum and i was just wondering what I need to get a b if my coursework was 69-80

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 224
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Oh right! Most of us are only 16 so it's our first time doing this paper. Have you redone this several times then?

No first time since i was 16. Im double that now lol
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I'm also an older student and full time Mum. These are my first exams for many years..it's been a steep learning curve the past 8 months
Reply 226
For question six I agreed with the statement that you should stay for holiday in Britain.
I talked about how
- Why would you go if there are so many places to visit in the UK
- Why waste your money on a place where you will get verbally abused in different languages (kind of harsh)
- Stop complaining and realise that people would do anything to come to the UK to have a holiday
- Counter argument that some people may go for the different cultures. But I said that we have that here therefore it is not necessary to go.

Do you think this is okay.
I also used statistics, lots of direct address, rhetoric, short sentences?

For question 5
I described me climbing up a cliff. Then when I got up I beat my fear of heights. Then I explained that it has now helped me to climb the Eiffel tower. Ended it off with "J'adore la vie" - dunno why I did that.

I am rubbish at writing and failed part A.
I need an A in this exam in order to get into my Sixth Form.
I also got a low A in CA.
Reply 227
Original post by IshaanJayJolly
I tried to include some humour in question 6 and this is what I opened with:
"Britain must have a lot too offer, our soggy beaches and moist natural parks make for the best of experiences. There is also a lot to do, for example getting drenched in the rain, at least that is what people like Nigel Farrage want us to think."
I'm just hoping that the examiner isn't a UKIP supporter and this starter gets me a decent mark in question 6

My friends whole question 6 was about UKIP
Original post by Undec
For question six I agreed with the statement that you should stay for holiday in Britain.
I talked about how
- Why waste your money on a place where you will get verbally abused in different languages (kind of harsh)
- Stop complaining and realise that people would do anything to come to the UK to have a holiday
- Counter argument that some people may go for the different cultures. But I said that we have that here therefore it is not necessary to go.

For question 5
I described me climbing up a cliff. Then when I got up I beat my fear of heights. Then I explained that it has now helped me to climb the Eiffel tower. Ended it off with "J'adore la vie" - dunno why I did that.

Yes, that is fine. I actually argued to travel and experience the world but it doesn't matter what you write about, it is how. So as long as you argued your point well then it is fine.
As for question 5, it sounds like you got some good stuff in there that you could have described.
You should stop worrying about the exam as there is nothing you can do now (what i keep telling myself and so fretting won't help.
The examiners are usually quite kind and will look for places to give you marks so honestly don't worry about it. It sounds great what you've told me.
I don't know about your school but at ours, for the mock they gave us higher grade boundaries than the actual grade boundaries to encourage us but I'm sure you did great.
Original post by Undec
I talked about how

For question 5

I did almost the same...although mine was rock climbing. I argued loads of points for staying in the Uk. Feel slightly better now as I thought I'd read the question wrong.
I thought this was harder than last year's exam though so hopefully the grade boundaries will come down
Original post by tallulahlou
I did almost the same...although mine was rock climbing. I argued loads of points for staying in the Uk. Feel slightly better now as I thought I'd read the question wrong.

What was the question? Was it about whether you should stay in Britain for your holidays or not?

I wrote about how there are so many more places to visit outside of our small region and talked about holidays outside Britain. Is that right?
Reply 232
For q4 does first person vs third person count as language analysis?
Reply 233

Thats what I did and I know i've failed
Original post by alexdt300
What was the question? Was it about whether you should stay in Britain for your holidays or not?

I wrote about how there are so many more places to visit outside of our small region and talked about holidays outside Britain. Is that right?
I read it that you could could argue either way, depending on your own opinion. A few people like myself have argued to holiday here but the majority seem to have argued to holiday abroad....so I'm not clear tbh.
Question one - went quite well I thought. Embedded quotations seamlessly in my answer and commented on them all.
Question two - alright, but time wise was only able to comment on alliteration for heading, word 'shoots' in sub-heading and then the unsafe looking cliffs and slide.
Question three - Super, always do well on question three, so I'm pleased with that.
Question four - atrocious. Could hardly find any language devices to compare. (Ended up only doing verbs and emotive vocabulary because I ran out of time.)
Question five - brilliant, although I completely made up my experience haha!
Question six - Alright, although I didn't exactly give a strong opinion arguing for or against, I gave both sides of the argument and then my opinion embedded and at the end.

Timings fell to the ground though - didn't even know what time the exam started haha! (I didn't pay attention to the invigilator and when she said 'The time is... you have 2 hours 15 minutes, so if there are any queries? You may begin.' I just opened and started writing.)
(edited 7 years ago)
What would I need in the exam if I got a very low A* in my coursework for this?
I read it that you could could argue either way, depending on your own opinion. A few people like myself have argued to holiday here but the majority seem to have argued to holiday abroad....so I'm not clear tbh.

I thought you could argue either way :redface: Did I do it wrong?
Reply 238
Original post by alexdt300
I thought you could argue either way :redface: Did I do it wrong?

No, you can argue either way
Of course you can choose either side, that's the point. There's no point in worrying about the exam once it's done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending