The Student Room Group

Withdrawing from an A level

Hello!

Having experienced serious headaches for the past couple of days, and having two extremely important exams one after the others (Geography 9th and History 10th at 9AM), I think it would be far more beneficial for me to try and withdraw from the Geography A level and simply remain with my AS level exam which is not too bad by itself.

If I were to sit the A level as well, my grade would likely drop even more, most likely being extremely displeasing to the eye if an employer were to ever ask me for my A levels. My school has told me that employers will always ask for my A levels and that I will be forced to show them all the exams I have ever sat.

As some extra information, I'm in a bottom ranking school in the country, moved from abroad last year, we lost our history teacher half way through the year and the geography teachers didn't even finish this year's (or the last's) theory before the exam.

I sit 5 A levels in total, with an extra Mathematics AS-level equivalent qualification. I do not need Geography; I only need three grades.

Is there any point in withdrawing if withdrawing is even an option? I really would not like having a D or an E polluting my academic record. Having to pay for the entry would, I think, not be an issue.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time.
It's too late to withdraw, you'd just have to not turn up
Reply 2
Since you've been entered, if you don't show up then you'll still get the full A-Level which will obviously be lower than if you sat the exam. Better to get 20 UMS than 0, even if 20 UMS is embarrassing.
So there is no way to simply keep my AS level grade instead, I suppose?
Original post by Caius Filimon
Hello!

Having experienced serious headaches for the past couple of days, and having two extremely important exams one after the others (Geography 9th and History 10th at 9AM), I think it would be far more beneficial for me to try and withdraw from the Geography A level and simply remain with my AS level exam which is not too bad by itself.

If I were to sit the A level as well, my grade would likely drop even more, most likely being extremely displeasing to the eye if an employer were to ever ask me for my A levels. My school has told me that employers will always ask for my A levels and that I will be forced to show them all the exams I have ever sat.

As some extra information, I'm in a bottom ranking school in the country, moved from abroad last year, we lost our history teacher half way through the year and the geography teachers didn't even finish this year's (or the last's) theory before the exam.

I sit 5 A levels in total, with an extra Mathematics AS-level equivalent qualification. I do not need Geography; I only need three grades.

Is there any point in withdrawing if withdrawing is even an option? I really would not like having a D or an E polluting my academic record. Having to pay for the entry would, I think, not be an issue.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Mate, I've had a fever for the past few days. Fainting, throwing up, shivering. I'm still sick now and not getting much better. I have my A2 philosophy exam on the afternoon of the 9th and my history on the morning of the 10th. But, life goes on. I'm hoping to be better by then. If not, I'll buckle up and give it my best shot. Don't pull out as without a really good excuse and doctor's note you are unlikely to get any grade.
Original post by Platopus
Mate, I've had a fever for the past few days. Fainting, throwing up, shivering. I'm still sick now and not getting much better. I have my A2 philosophy exam on the afternoon of the 9th and my history on the morning of the 10th. But, life goes on. I'm hoping to be better by then. If not, I'll buckle up and give it my best shot. Don't pull out as without a really good excuse and doctor's note you are unlikely to get any grade.

I wish you all the best man!

And I won't pull out if health allows and if I can't just use my AS level grade instead. It's a pity I went through with Geography though; should've known better from my teachers from last year.

Hope you get well fast; it's impossible to study while ill. It's hard enough as it is.
Original post by Caius Filimon
I wish you all the best man!

And I won't pull out if health allows and if I can't just use my AS level grade instead. It's a pity I went through with Geography though; should've known better from my teachers from last year.

Hope you get well fast; it's impossible to study while ill. It's hard enough as it is.

Good luck to you to. Sorry if I came across as a little harsh. I just feel so awful myself. But the horrible truth is that "the powers that be" of the exam boards just don't care.
Original post by Platopus
Good luck to you to. Sorry if I came across as a little harsh. I just feel so awful myself. But the horrible truth is that "the powers that be" of the exam boards just don't care.

Indeed they don't. Let us hope our universities will in the case that we miss the grades. Hope for the best; at least we have the summer vacation to look forward to, even if perhaps not stellar results.

Quick Reply

Latest