The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL 6BIO2 - OLD SPEC - 7th JUNE 2016

Couldn't find a thread for this exam anywhere, so i thought i'd make one. Discussion for anyone that sat todays biology resit for edexcel!

Scroll to see replies

What did you guys get for the question asking about the country with the highest biodiversity? It had options like Croatia Bulgaria Greece etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
was it not bulgaria?

i thought the exam went well. a few questions i know i got a couple of marks wrong so far, which were silly mistakes, but generally it was good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im starting to worry if Ive missed any questions out and its worrying me! I remember question 1 on plants, Question 2 on sperm cell structure, a question on the antimicrobial core practical, the himalayan rabbit question being question 7 and the eel biodiversity being question 8. Someone help please
Reply 4
Original post by jwalker141
Im starting to worry if Ive missed any questions out and its worrying me! I remember question 1 on plants, Question 2 on sperm cell structure, a question on the antimicrobial core practical, the himalayan rabbit question being question 7 and the eel biodiversity being question 8. Someone help please

Your talking about the new spec? I did this one too today and the 6 marker on the lead concentratiom affecting tomato plants?
Original post by Luke_BD
was it not bulgaria?

i thought the exam went well. a few questions i know i got a couple of marks wrong so far, which were silly mistakes, but generally it was good.

Yeah I found it overall good also. I put Croatia :/ Bulgaria had the highest abundance overall but it had a lower species evenness to Croatia so I thought it'd be more 'diverse'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jwalker141

sounds like you've listed everything!
Reply 7
What did you guys put down for the core practical section about changes to be made? for the first part I said use a control disc soaked in a solvent? and then for the second part about safety precaution I said to incubate at 25 degrees not 37 degrees?
also I thought the paper was alright but they asked a few annoying questions tbh.
Original post by Pingu7
What did you guys put down for the core practical section about changes to be made? for the first part I said use a control disc soaked in a solvent? and then for the second part about safety precaution I said to incubate at 25 degrees not 37 degrees?
also I thought the paper was alright but they asked a few annoying questions tbh.

I said use a control disc soaked in distilled water and compare to that. To make it safer I said you bacteria that are not disease causing in humans, and use aseptic techniques.
Original post by Luke_BD
was it not bulgaria?

I put Bulgaria. Because it had the highest of both so more biodiversity
Original post by miss deviant
I said use a control disc soaked in distilled water and compare to that. To make it safer I said you bacteria that are not disease causing in humans, and use aseptic techniques.

@Pingu7

I said that they should have used the same part of the plant for the extract for every sample as they used the flower bud for one and the leaves and stem for the rest.

Could that be right?

Control group definetly sounds like it would be correct.
Original post by Excuse Me!
@Pingu7

I said that they should have used the same part of the plant for the extract for every sample as they used the flower bud for one and the leaves and stem for the rest.

Could that be right?

Control group definetly sounds like it would be correct.

yeh I wrote that
Fairly straightforward paper imo but for some reason question 1 ****ed me up a bit. Was staring at that cross section of the stem for a good 10 minutes. In the end I put B and D ???

Grade boundaries are gonna be highhh, seeing as its a resit paper as well and only yr 13s are doing it :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pingu7

yeh saw a pretty much identical question to that on a previous past paper so im certain thats correct
Reply 14
What did people write for the Himalayan rabbit question about why the environment caused the fur to grow back black for 4 marks?
Original post by PK927
What did people write for the Himalayan rabbit question about why the environment caused the fur to grow back black for 4 marks?

the question wasn't why, it was give evidence that the environment affects the change in fur colour using the experiment results. I think you just had to talk about the experiment and how the change in temperature ( the ice pack ) caused a change in colour to black while the rest of the rabbit temperature remained unchanged and therefore no change in environment and there was no change in colour etc
Reply 16
The highest it's been for an A is 64, doubt it will be higher tbh
Reply 17
Did anyone else get thrown off by the "why do the cells get smaller" question? I didn't have a clue!
Original post by evegeom
Did anyone else get thrown off by the "why do the cells get smaller" question? I didn't have a clue!

Yeh that was a weird question I just put that G1 and G2 is needed for the growth of the cell and its organelles, as these stages are missed out the cell gets smaller as the cell becomes less developed.
who knows lol
Reply 19
What did you put for the control for the rabbit? put use no ice pack...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending