The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
You mean like Cameron wanted to and couldn't get even under threat of leaving?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, if more people want uk to leave then that gives Cameron power. Everyone knew that Cameron's threats back then were empty cause he didn't (and still doesn't) want to leave the EU.
Original post by plstudent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702493/Romanian-family-17-lied-house-live-three-bedroom-London-semi-home-55-000-year-benefits.html

If a deal could be negotiated to cut migration, why didn't Cameron do so? It was supposed to be the main part of the renegotiations. They are never going to give in there if the vote is remain because they wouldn't even give in with the threat of withdrawing support in a referendum.

But to answer your question, I would still favor leave, because I dislike big states made up of very different people and handing over power to a foreign entity. Better to have your representatives close to have more accountability. I do not want to make the UK irrelevant as a country, which is the inevitable consequence of the ever expanding number of EU laws and the legal principle that they are supreme..

Fair enough. My only question is, how would all the EU population move out? I'm sure that they may claim that they "don't have enough money to move out" or they "can't afford it".
Original post by thelegend99
Thing is, if more people want uk to leave then that gives Cameron power. Everyone knew that Cameron's threats back then were empty cause he didn't (and still doesn't) want to leave the EU.

It doesn't really give Cameron power with the EU, and even then it's too late, we will be on the way out and Cameron won't be involved in further negotiations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. My only question is, how would all the EU population move out? I'm sure that they may claim that they "don't have enough money to move out" or they "can't afford it".

What do you mean by the question? Out of the country?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by the question? Out of the country?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, how would you move them out of the country if they claim they "can't afford to"? The government would have to pay huge fees to get them to their home country.
Yeah, how would you move them out of the country if they claim they "can't afford to"? The government would have to pay huge fees to get them to their home country.

If we leave? No they wouldn't, those already here would be protected by long standing convention in the exact same way Britons abroad would, it makes no sense to force them back, but if we did want to it would be a simple enough deportation and the problem will be dumped on the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we leave? No they wouldn't, those already here would be protected by long standing convention in the exact same way Britons abroad would, it makes no sense to force them back, but if we did want to it would be a simple enough deportation and the problem will be dumped on the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough
If any of you are having trouble making up your mind, I highly recommend this app:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/eu-referendum-guide/id1118653306?mt=8

It stacks up the arguments side by side in an unbiased way, shows the latest referendum news and also has a poll that you can vote on.

Might be useful for some?!
You know were finished if we remain in the EU, stop this foolishness and vote out :/
Original post by Jack1066
Our net contribution is £8.5 billion, which is quite a small percentage of the UK's budget. The other benefits are what is hard to work out, i.e. jobs indirectly created by EU and increased exports due to the single market.

Its these other benefits that are what will be the most important factor when considering to leave or stay, and how much we would be damaged if we left the single market. Spouting about the Norway model is all well and good, but there is no guarantee that we will get a deal that good. We'll obviously get some sort of deal in place but I am skeptical on the whole process tbh. I just think its better to not rock the boat.

It's 20 billion actually.

How does it feel that we give enough a week to fund a NHS hospital? to a government that we have under 10% influence in? and that generally rule us as an incompetent country?

It's not racist to help CONTROL borders, you need to get rid of this meme that controlling borders is racist because do you class Australia racist for their immigration system? no you don't. thats the immigration system WE want.

Everyone here is too much of a left wing bigot to see the positives, we dont lose trade, we make MORE money, we are independent if we leave. In 10 years time, the EU will have control of our TAXES, our TAXES people. How does it feel that when 2020 elections come up, you won't be voting for someone because they will lower taxes because its impossible for them to be lowered. The UK never had a say in Europe, every law against us, every 40 EU law against us, has been put forward despite disapproveful. Disgrace to the UK, we are british not European. If Iceland can stand on its own, making trade agreements with China and other big nations with drawback, a country 20x its size can do better!
Unfortunately, most teachers are lefties because it's best for their certain job. This means children at school get told that left wing views are right, I've even noticed little remarks in lessons and assemblies etc from teachers.

For example we are taught things as fact that are actually opinion, it's ridiculous.

I hate to sound like an idiot, but TSR really is full of liberal students who try to be so PC and airy...I hate that aspect so much.
Original post by xJARSx
Unfortunately, most teachers are lefties because it's best for their certain job. This means children at school get told that left wing views are right, I've even noticed little remarks in lessons and assemblies etc from teachers.

For example we are taught things as fact that are actually opinion, it's ridiculous.

I hate to sound like an idiot, but TSR really is full of liberal students who try to be so PC and airy...I hate that aspect so much.

I totally agree. I remember several years back when my dad along with many, others walked out during the Lindsey Oil Refinery strikes of 2009. We even have a meeting about it at my school The teacher who was leading this class meeting were calling the strikers racists and biggots. I was utterly shocked and shouted at the teacher I was that angry. I ended up calling the teacher a disgrace and said "you'd be doing the same if that was happening in your industry and you'd most likely be taking the teachers board to a tribunal. Do you honestly think that they're going to stand back and watch their jobs disappear to cheap EU labour? The teacher didn't know what to say. He ended up leaving teaching not long after this whole thing as well, doubtful it was for this reason, but who knows.
Like the biased headline. The poll I looked at on here, the other one, was pretty much neck and neck. Any tinkering going on here? If not, why is the other poll showing something so different?
Oh, this started ages ago. So clearly the other one is more representative anyhow.
i cant vote as im too young, but i would vote to remain. if we left i think we could possibly go into recession.
Original post by emxrgency
i cant vote as im too young, but i would vote to remain. if we left i think we could possibly go into recession.

When even the doom mongers say that will only happen if the government and BoE literally do nothing to try to prevent it it kinda says it's not going to happen. And as an analogy used I believe even in this thread: would you encourage a heroin addict to keep doing heroin because quitting will be nasty in the short term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesRowe_1993
I totally agree. I remember several years back when my dad along with many, others walked out during the Lindsey Oil Refinery strikes of 2009. We even have a meeting about it at my school The teacher who was leading this class meeting were calling the strikers racists and biggots. I was utterly shocked and shouted at the teacher I was that angry. I ended up calling the teacher a disgrace and said "you'd be doing the same if that was happening in your industry and you'd most likely be taking the teachers board to a tribunal. Do you honestly think that they're going to stand back and watch their jobs disappear to cheap EU labour? The teacher didn't know what to say. He ended up leaving teaching not long after this whole thing as well, doubtful it was for this reason, but who knows.

Hahah full ratings for that
Original post by emxrgency

12% of our gdp is eu exports tell me this, how much of it is covered by WTO rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by wolvesS
It's 20 billion actually.

How does it feel that we give enough a week to fund a NHS hospital? to a government that we have under 10% influence in? and that generally rule us as an incompetent country?

It's not racist to help CONTROL borders, you need to get rid of this meme that controlling borders is racist because do you class Australia racist for their immigration system? no you don't. thats the immigration system WE want.

Everyone here is too much of a left wing bigot to see the positives, we dont lose trade, we make MORE money, we are independent if we leave. In 10 years time, the EU will have control of our TAXES, our TAXES people. How does it feel that when 2020 elections come up, you won't be voting for someone because they will lower taxes because its impossible for them to be lowered. The UK never had a say in Europe, every law against us, every 40 EU law against us, has been put forward despite disapproveful. Disgrace to the UK, we are british not European. If Iceland can stand on its own, making trade agreements with China and other big nations with drawback, a country 20x its size can do better!

I would suggest you do some fact checking - our net contribution to the EU is about £8.5bn (in 2015) - we paid £18bn into the EU, and then we get about £5bn back in rebate, and the the EU spent approx £4.5bn in the UK - so overall, the net contribution was £8.5bn.

Also, while a country like Iceland is free to make trade agreements with China, or whichever country they like, they also pay money into the EU to be part of the single market, and as thus still have to be part of the freedom of movement, but don't get any of the EU budget spent on themselves. Undoubtedly, if the the UK were to leave the EU, we would still want to be part of the single market (given such a high proportion of our exports go into the EU) and as such, the EU would probably still make us participate in the freedom of movement act to be part of the single market, and as such, we still would not be 'controlling our borders'.

Also, how come you say that the EU will have control over our taxes in 10 years? I've never seen anyone claim this so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
I would suggest you do some fact checking - our net contribution to the EU is about £8.5bn (in 2015) - we paid £18bn into the EU, and then we get about £5bn back in rebate, and the the EU spent approx £4.5bn in the UK - so overall, the net contribution was £8.5bn.

Also, while a country like Iceland is free to make trade agreements with China, or whichever country they like, they also pay money into the EU to be part of the single market, and as thus still have to be part of the freedom of movement, but don't get any of the EU budget spent on themselves. Undoubtedly, if the the UK were to leave the EU, we would still want to be part of the single market (given such a high proportion of our exports go into the EU) and as such, the EU would probably still make us participate in the freedom of movement act to be part of the single market, and as such, we still would not be 'controlling our borders'.

Also, how come you say that the EU will have control over our taxes in 10 years? I've never seen anyone claim this so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the same time, we are the biggest export market of the rest of the eu with a large trade deficit, so it is very much in their interests to make a trade deal even if it means no free movement (doesn't have to be part of the single market, the customs union also extends outside of the free travel area) and we have to remember that the realistic absolute worst case scenario is WTO rules, which is still arguably better than what we have now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BasicMistake
Would it be a fair assessment to say that Leave voters are hoping for the collapse of the EU whether or not we are in it?

Not me.

But I will certainly be hoping for crisis after crisis if we vote to stay in.

Quick Reply

Latest