The Student Room Group

Shingles...?

Hello!
I caught shingles back when I was 15, is it possible that it can come back again 3 years later?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!
I caught shingles back when I was 15, is it possible that it can come back again 3 years later?

If you've had shingles once, you probably won't get it again. That doesn't mean it can't happen, it's just unlikely.
You don't catch shingles, shingles is the reactivation of the virus that causes chicken pox, so to have shingles you must have had chicken pox in the past. The rash is more localised than with chicken pox though. You can have shingles more than once.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Oh...here I was thinking it was a play on the word "single"...
Reply 4
Yeah, I thought it wouldn't happen again which is why I'm so confused.. Yesterday I woke up in agony with burning/stabbing pains in my back, neck and down my arm. It sucked because I had an exam and I could barely stand up straight :/. The pain has mostly gone now but it's replaced with tingling, aching and numbness, at most a prickling sensation. I do feel really run down and a bit fluey, but there's no rash or anything? I feel like I should go to the doctors just in case it could be early shingles since I kind of felt like this when I had it 3 years ago, but at the same time I'm not sure... I don't want to waste their time if it's nothing.

Original post by Someboady
Oh...here I was thinking it was a play on the word "single"...

Haha... :')

Quick Reply

Latest