The Student Room Group

dont want to go a levels but parents are forcing me

so i dont want to do alevels, cant handle exams and the stress, i want to do something practical because thats the sort of person i am but my parents are forcing me to do it. how can i persuade them ?

Scroll to see replies

Perhaps try to see things from their perspective? Try the exams (I know they're stressful, believe me) because you might need them in the future, this is the only time you can do them! Then you can persuade your parents that, after exams, you can do some practical work experience in your own time during summer?

But if you do feel as if the practical root is the way for you, you just have to sit them down and tell them honestly. Say how you're now an adult (or close to being an adult) and you are therefore mature enough to make up your own decisions! If you have a particular job in mind, then tell them all about that job and what you need to accomplish your goals. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by King_ajk
so i dont want to do alevels, cant handle exams and the stress, i want to do something practical because thats the sort of person i am but my parents are forcing me to do it. how can i persuade them ?
Reply 2
Have you done any research to see if there are any apprenticeships or courses related to practical jobs in your area?

Perhaps if you spoke to your parents with some feasible alternatives to A-Levels in mind, it would show them that you're serious about doing something more practical, and that there is a clear route you can go down. They could just be worried that if you don't do A-Levels, you won't have as many options in the future- but apprenticeships/BTECs etc are a good alternative to A-Levels and would probably suit you better if you're a more practical person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Go and do BTECS ro fina a college course thats more along the lines you want to go. Your parents probably wnat you to go to Uni.
Reply 4
Maybe you feel this way because of your current GCSE exams? All the stress you're experiencing at GCSE is making you reconsider your career path, remember to keep a clear head. A-Level is more in-depth and broader in terms of subject choices so maybe consider what your strengths are and look at the course spec for each subject you would do. Tell your parents you're looking at subjects and if it definitely isn't the path for you tell them straight that you wouldn't be able to handle the workload. Doing a BTEC level at college is much better than failing all your A-Levels and tell them this if you seriously don't want to do it. If it's practical work you want to do you have to tell your parents that's what you want and it's your career choice at the end of the day.

First you need to make sure your parents understand how you feel about exams, so they can see it from your perspective.

Then consider other options for example you could study a BTEC Level 3 course, its 100% coursework and is worth the equivalent of two A-Levels, and you can study them within a sixth form and they cover a range of subjects. That way you don't have to stress for an exam and doing the assignments takes place during lessons and your teachers will make sure you are prepared.

If that's not for you most apprenticeships also give you an NVQ which is another good qualification to have (I don't know quite as much about that one.)
Reply 6
Original post by twhiddy
Maybe you feel this way because of your current GCSE exams? All the stress you're experiencing at GCSE is making you reconsider your career path, remember to keep a clear head. A-Level is more in-depth and broader in terms of subject choices so maybe consider what your strengths are and look at the course spec for each subject you would do. Tell your parents you're looking at subjects and if it definitely isn't the path for you tell them straight that you wouldn't be able to handle the workload. Doing a BTEC level at college is much better than failing all your A-Levels and tell them this if you seriously don't want to do it. If it's practical work you want to do you have to tell your parents that's what you want and it's your career choice at the end of the day.

thats whats happening, i personally dont think i got the b grades in english lang and maths whereas i know i got the As in my sciences but it wont be enough for me to do an alevel without Bs in maths and eng
There's actually exams in BTECs now. From September 2016 level 3 BTEC will haves exams, I know for health and social care there will be at least 2 exams
I mean you appear to be quoting two different problems here - you say you don't want to do A levels, then you say that you don't think you'll get good enough grades to do A levels.

Are you actually dead set against continuing to study at A level or are you trying to preempt poor results which will prevent you from studying A levels?

Ultimately I would suggest if you are getting B's/A's you are capable of continuing to A level, but ultimately it is your life and if you would prefer to do something vocational then I suggest you find an alternative (such as BTEC) and present it to your parents as something you want to do. If you can show it has potential and can lead to a career then I'm sure they'll support you.
thats whats happening, i personally dont think i got the b grades in english lang and maths whereas i know i got the As in my sciences but it wont be enough for me to do an alevel without Bs in maths and eng

get a grip, I know someone who is doing A-Levels after getting straight D's at GCSE. If you chose to do A - Levels I can guarantee that you will do fine.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
There's actually exams in BTECs now. From September 2016 level 3 BTEC will haves exams, I know for health and social care there will be at least 2 exams

Maybe it depends on what your school offer then. All the BTEC's on offer at my school including Health and Social Care don't have any exams and are all coursework

For which units?

Also, is it for every single BTEC level 3?
Original post by Ellie419
Maybe it depends on what your school offer then. All the BTEC's on offer at my school including Health and Social Care don't have any exams and are all coursework

Current students don't but my teacher said all students that are starting level 3 BTEC in September 2016 will be on the new spec so they will have to do exams

Original post by Blackstarr
For which units?

Unit 5 and unit 8, not sure what other units.

Also, is it for every single BTEC level 3?

I think so but those (including us) who is doing the old spec will carry on with it next year meaning we don't have to worry about exams.
Current students don't but my teacher said all students that are starting level 3 BTEC in September 2016 will be on the new spec so they will have to do exams

Unit 5 and unit 8, not sure what other units.

I think so but those (including us) who is doing the old spec will carry on with it next year meaning we don't have to worry about exams.

Ohhh ok, that's good news for us then.:smile:

I really hope i do good enough this year.
Ohhh ok, that's good news for us then.:smile:

I really hope i do good enough this year.

I'm sure you will but good luck!

Also I didn't know they were changing all the BTEC's but then not all schools change their specifications, I know my school tend not to change straight away and wait to see how results go first.
I agree that it would be a good idea to look into the alternatives -- BTECs, apprenticeships, etc -- and perhaps your parents will be more open to the idea of you not doing A levels if you have another solid plan. I did A levels, but I did so at a college mostly focused on vocational courses and know many people who did alternative courses with no regrets. A levels are most certainly not the only option. :smile:

It's also not true that this is the only point in your life at which you can do A levels. At my college there were a number of older people coming back to do them after having spent some years working (you do, however, have to pay after a certain age.) There are also plenty of alternative qualifications and pathways to access Uni if you want to go in the future.

If you truly don't want to do A levels (and it's not solely worries about not doing well enough) I hope you can find the right alternative for you and that your parents come round to it. Spending two years studying or working hard on something that you have chosen yourself will surely be more productive than spending those same two years doing something you were forced into.
Original post by Ellie419
I'm sure you will but good luck!

Also I didn't know they were changing all the BTEC's but then not all schools change their specifications, I know my school tend not to change straight away and wait to see how results go first.

AS of September 2016, all colleges or schools teaching HSC level 3, will have to by law follow the new procedure aka the new specification.

I think the reason for changing BTEC level 3 is because they are not rigorous and challenging enough for university study as most BTEC students have apparently dropped out/are more likely to drop out of university than their A-level counterparts.

Edit: if you get used to coursework a lot, you will forget how to do well in exams/ time management.
(edited 7 years ago)
AS of September 2016, all colleges or schools teaching HSC level 3, will have to by law follow the new procedure aka the new specification.

I think the reason for changing BTEC level 3 is because they are not rigorous and challenging enough for university study as most BTEC students have apparently dropped out/are more likely to drop out of university than their A-level counterparts.

Edit: if you get used to coursework a lot, you will forget how to do well in exams/ time management.

They are changing BTECS, just like the A levels have been revamped.
The majority of the course will still be internally assessed and only some units will include exams.
Original post by 999tigger
They are changing BTECS, just like the A levels have been revamped.
The majority of the course will still be internally assessed and only some units will include exams.

Does this mean that coursework will account for a higher percentage than exams since it is BTEC ?

Quick Reply

Latest