The Student Room Group

AQA AS BIO Unit 2 OLD SPEC RESIT Tue 7th June (pm) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Amellia123
Yes I am aware of that. What I'm trying to say is that every single teacher I've spoken too (across all science subjects)
has said that because this is the last paper on the old spec, so AQA are bound to throw in all of the really hard questions. Tbh when you've been an examiner you end up seeing every style od exam question known to man. We have all struggled on this paper, so I hope you are just pointing out my poor English and not having a go

I think they should put all the nice questions in so that everyone gets good marks and all the schools pick them so that they get more money. 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 421
Ahh I see, tbh grade boundaries for Biol5 are so low (even tho I cant seem to get past a C). I think if we write good essays they'll be a good chance of an A! I managed B unit 1 and B unit 2, but retook unit 2 to try to increase UMS (as I doubt ill do well un unit 5)

I seem to do much better in A2 exams than AS. (I got an A* in unit 5 mock)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kwaks
I think they should put all the nice questions in so that everyone gets good marks and all the schools pick them so that they get more money. 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha and I would agree :lol:

A sample question 1 of the paper I would write if I was head of AQA;
Q1a) what is diffusion?
b) describe how pressure is maintained in an artery
c) what colour is this cat? *see image*
d) count the number of stomata on this leaf
e) what is the taxonomy?

Also would improve schools league tables no end (instead my school just kicks them out if they fail, so keep themselves high up in the tables)
Do you have the answer for 9c
The scientists followed strick safety guidelines when collecting samples of faeces. Apart from the risk of contamination from e.coli this was especially important when collecting
Explain why
Can anyone remember what they put for the phylogenetic question which had the nucleotide sequences?
Original post by Kwaks
I seem to do much better in A2 exams than AS. (I got an A* in unit 5 mock)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's great! I scraped an E lol. I think now we are A2 we tend to over complicate the answers a bit too much
Original post by Anialookhan
Do you have the answer for 9c
The scientists followed strick safety guidelines when collecting samples of faeces. Apart from the risk of contamination from e.coli this was especially important when collecting
Explain why

I think someone has done an answer for this further back (sorry I cant remember!). I put something along the lines of 'bacteria in human faeces more likely to spread and infect other humans than bacteria in animal faeces as strains may be different'

I think it specified for humans?

I highly doubt that is right, all I did was waffle on for too long :lol:
Reply 427
Wow that's great! I scraped an E lol. I think now we are A2 we tend to over complicate the answers a bit too much

Yeah TRUEEEEEE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 428
please QUOTE ME IN AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS and please help me to put all answers together so everyone can see unofficial mark scheme on first page thanks :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
No, they asked for both the tiger and the clouded leopard. So inside of the circle there should have been 2 circles (the 2 genus names), inside of these should have been another circle (the species name).
Reply 430
Good luck guys for your other exams. I guess I'll see you when we do unit 4. Hopefully it's much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The unofficial mark scheme is very inaccurate just saying don't rely on it too much because the mark scheme usually more than 3 options for a 2 mark HSW Q.
oh no:angry: I didn't read the question properly and described the route from the heart->renal artery->renal vein->back to the heart
will I be awarded any marks :s-smilie:
For the question about insects, will it matter that I put trachea/trachae/ however its spelt (plural) rather than trachiole (singular)?

Trachea and tracheoles are not the same thing.

The question asked about supplying cells, so it's the tracheoles.

It was a confusing question!
Original post by Saldudsjen123
Can anyone remember what they put for the phylogenetic question which had the nucleotide sequences?

I can't remember the name of the species but:

Two species had the same nucleotide sequence so they are more closely related
The other species had a different nucleotide sequence to the other species, so that species is less closely related to the other two species.
Original post by Suits101
I can't remember the name of the species but:

Two species had the same nucleotide sequence so they are more closely related
The other species had a different nucleotide sequence to the other species, so that species is less closely related to the other two species.

I put almost the same but because it was talking about phylogenetic I said that the two species which had the same nucleotide sequence had a more recent common ancestor and the other had a more distant common ancestor?:/
the last question was a hsw, so you talk about animal suffering joint pains, quality of life, unethical, lower genetic diversity, although produces cheap food its of lower quality, resistance spreading to other organisms/species by horizontal gene transmission ...
I put almost the same but because it was talking about phylogenetic I said that the two species which had the same nucleotide sequence had a more recent common ancestor and the other had a more distant common ancestor?:/

I don't think common ancestor thing is on the spec?

It's not wrong though!

yeah phylogeny is explained by common ancestors and evolutionary relationships, i talked about both like you
Original post by Suits101
I don't think common ancestor thing is on the spec?

It's not wrong though!

its in the book

Quick Reply

Latest