The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popcornjpg
you misread my post, evidence to suggest it is NOT independent

i'm pretty sure there is none tbh

Oh sorry :tongue: yeah it's hard...only 1 woman in senior judiciary, heavily Oxbridge/establishment? all I can think of..
Original post by alevelpain
I don't think the Supreme Court is pooling sovereignty no, I wouldn't mention it just to be sure:tongue:

I think that's best, too. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Would you say that the UK constitution is becoming more federal because of the shared sovereignty with other EU members, though? I'm confused as to whether federal would mean within national borders. So becoming more federal becomes of multiple governments within the UK. :s-smilie:
Original post by kayemma
just thought could you talk about the supreme court and how the judges can check against the HRA

then along with popular sovereignity eg referendums elections pressure groupsetc, HRA, devolution then that might be enough to talk about? idk if HRA counts as an international treaty though idkkkk

For sure that can be a point, not even about international treaty but just about being a member of the eu, could argue even though we have pooled sovereignty we get the echr but then again that might be leading a little into judiciary when talking about the judges so probs not go into too much depth about it but it could probs work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh sorry :tongue: yeah it's hard...only 1 woman in senior judiciary, heavily Oxbridge/establishment? all I can think of..

thats neutrality - yeah i dont think there is any evidence, this isnt communist russia after all
Original post by UKStudent17
I think that's best, too. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Would you say that the UK constitution is becoming more federal because of the shared sovereignty with other EU members, though? I'm confused as to whether federal would mean within national borders. So becoming more federal becomes of multiple governments within the UK. :s-smilie:

You could say we're becoming more federal due to further legislative powers to devolved authorities. I'm just not sure us being apart of the EU makes us a federal state, it's tough
Original post by mollyadtr
For sure that can be a point, not even about international treaty but just about being a member of the eu, could argue even though we have pooled sovereignty we get the echr but then again that might be leading a little into judiciary when talking about the judges so probs not go into too much depth about it but it could probs work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

plus we were in the european convention of HR before we were in the EU anyway...it's all been a conspiracy to wipe away our nationalism since 1953
Reply 486
On the unit 1 thread, someone posted an Excel document with all the past questions dating back to '09. Does anyone have this for unit 2?!?!?!?
plus we were in the european convention of HR before we were in the EU anyway...it's all been a conspiracy to wipe away our nationalism since 1953

Oh **** were we? I thought it all happened when major was in gov and he had the whole situation with the eu and when we joined we had to implement the echr, are you sure you can have the echr without being a member of the eu I thought that was a perk of being a member

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could say we're becoming more federal due to further legislative powers to devolved authorities. I'm just not sure us being apart of the EU makes us a federal state, it's tough

Good point. I'm unsure myself. Best to just avoid it and hope it doesn't come up at all!

Thanks again :smile:
Oh **** were we? I thought it all happened when major was in gov and he had the whole situation with the eu and when we joined we had to implement the echr, are you sure you can have the echr without being a member of the eu I thought that was a perk of being a member

Posted from TSR Mobile

oops didn't read this message properly. part of joining the EU is signing up to the convention, but we had the convention beforehand and we helped write it..a british MP guided the process
(edited 7 years ago)
ucles sending.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by guppal21
How would people answer To what extent is there conflict in the UK between judgesand government ministers?

Hope this helped, not sure if it sent properly I'm bad with technology
Any plans or ideas?
oops didn't read this message properly. part of joining the EU is signing up to the convention, but we had the convention beforehand and we helped write it..a british MP guided the process

Wait what if we helped to write it in the first what is the point of writing a British bill of rights....it's almost like they're trying to fool us

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is quasi federalism?
Does anyone have a list of all past paper question ?
You know 'assess constitutional reforms since 1997'

how do you structure to it? Do you just mention 3 reforms and say if they have been good or not?
Wait what if we helped to write it in the first what is the point of writing a British bill of rights....it's almost like they're trying to fool us

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :tongue: Conservatives believe that the original interpretation has now been perverted since they can't deport criminals who have a family, so now they want a bill of rights (the deportation is just one reason, but 'perversion of meaning' is why)
angel <3
Original post by Mfp3343
what is quasi federalism?

That power still remains with parliament however we distribute some sovereign/power to the devolved nations...think of it as we're half a federal constitution but not fully as parliament is still in charge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
You know 'assess constitutional reforms since 1997'

how do you structure to it? Do you just mention 3 reforms and say if they have been good or not?

Yeah I don't think it matters how many you choose as long as you include a post 2010 one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending