The Student Room Group

AQA AS BIO Unit 2 OLD SPEC RESIT Tue 7th June (pm) 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
I just knew insect gas exchange was going to come up :biggrin:
Reply 441
Original post by NervousBoy
The unofficial mark scheme is very inaccurate just saying don't rely on it too much because the mark scheme usually more than 3 options for a 2 mark HSW Q.

Thats why im asking everyone to post their answers so i can put it all together.
If you think you have more answers - tell me im happy to put to next to answers :h:
Original post by Sniperdon227
its in the book

Surely it would make sense to relate it to how closely related they are?
yeah phylogeny is explained by common ancestors and evolutionary relationships, i talked about both like you

Oh okay good thought it was just me!
Original post by StrugglingPupil
image.png
If they said "define tissue", i wouldve said something like "group of similar cells working together"

Which is why I wrote tissue when they phrased the question something like "a leaf is made up of a group of similar cells, what's this called"

Cos like the definition of an organ is "group of similar tissues", it's so annoying that was such a mean question hahah

I wrote ultrastructure :| Did anyone else put the same?
one of the answers was loci
and it wasn't organ it was tissue
Did anyone put for the plant one about the temporary whatever:

Collect a thin layer of cells so light can pass through
Original post by jamessmith15
one of the answers was loci
and it wasn't organ it was tissue

Google leaves; they're organs.
Original post by Suits101
Google leaves; they're organs.

groups of cells working together is tissue
groups of tissue working together is organ
groups of cells working together is tissue
groups of tissue working together is organ

Correct, and I put tissue.

However, the question asked what a leaf was - and it's an organ.
Correct, and I put tissue.

However, the question asked what a leaf was - and it's an organ.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
for the one where it asked why some DNA were between 1 and 2, it stated that the cells were in mitosis, not interphase so their DNA has already replicated?? I put something along the lines of different cells have different amounts of DNA to perform different functions
the last question was a hsw, so you talk about animal suffering joint pains, quality of life, unethical, lower genetic diversity, although produces cheap food its of lower quality, resistance spreading to other organisms/species by horizontal gene transmission ...

Was it though? thought it was more like antibiotic food increases resistance, antibiotic food is much more expensive so not viable for farmers trying to make profits etc.
If you end up having to retake again, will it be the new spec or old spec?
Reply 454
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I too turn into a pirate when I'm stressed
I think Haemoglobin one was 141 amino acids so 141 x 3 =423
Trachea and tracheoles are not the same thing.

The question asked about supplying cells, so it's the tracheoles.

It was a confusing question!

Ahhh I see, I just couldn't think of the word tracheoles in the exam! cheers! :smile:
Original post by philo-jitsu
The mean number of cholorplasts....i wrote out to work out the amount in a whole leaf....then i reread the question and crossed it out because it says the mean number of chloroplasts in a palisade cell of a leaf....which i would assume means per cell...not per leaf...surely it means per cell not leaf!?!?!

Otherwise you would have to workout the average chloroplasts per micrometer....and then find the average chloroplasts per micro for each leaf....then alply to volume of a leaf....seems like alot for 3 marks....but the alternative seems like too little for three....damn i dont know now!!

whichever it means your wrong. You have to measure the number in that stupid mound sample **** and then measure the area of that sample, and then the area of the whole leaf. Then divide area of the leaf by the sample and times that answer by the number of chloroplasts to get the estimate.
Original post by ItsRizzY
If you end up having to retake again, will it be the new spec or old spec?

I'm afraid this is the last retake of the old spec, therefore if you did want to have another go you would have to do both years (y12 and y13) of new spec, as the 'AS' doesn't really exist anymore.

Having said that, there is no reason why you couldn't be an 'external applicant' and do both years in one

Hope this helps!
I'm pretty sure the alpha haemoglobin question was 141*3 = 423, it said 144 in the beta.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending