The Student Room Group

I failed my English exam :(

I only finished questions 6 and 4, the others I half answered and question 3 I left in blank completely.

I get extra time but I couldn't finish the exam :frown:

I'm a mature student. Can I retake??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sherlockfan
I only finished questions 6 and 4, the others I half answered and question 3 I left in blank completely.

why would you spend an awful lot of time on questions? STICK TO THE TIME SCALE :redface:
well its done now, you can retake in november if you didn't get the grade :/
Retake in November (I think)
Original post by chordband
why would you spend an awful lot of time on questions? STICK TO THE TIME SCALE :redface:
well its done now, you can retake in november if you didn't get the grade :/

Cos I have mental problems and my brain is slow.
Reply 4

you need to discuss dis with your teachers... this means that u cannot complete any of the exams?
Reply 5

You can re-take it in November. Like others have said, if you're having problems completing the exam you need to speak to someone about it.

Good luck! :smile:

Retake and see if you can get extra time?

Yes you can retake. Annoying, but dont panic, just take it again. This time practice doing exams so you spend the appropriate amount of time on each question.
Reply 8
A lot of people are able to retake in college. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by chordband
you need to discuss dis with your teachers... this means that u cannot complete any of the exams?

I only have 1 exam, I'm a mature student.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes you can retake. Annoying, but dont panic, just take it again. This time practice doing exams so you spend the appropriate amount of time on each question.

I did practice. It didn't help, I couldn't concentrate.
I did practice. It didn't help, I couldn't concentrate.

You didnt practice properly then. or you can use your mental health issues.
Practice is the only way to learn how to deal with it.

It's okay. Of course you can retake and next time you'll have a better idea what it feels like to take the exam. Try to pinpoint why you couldn't focus so you can work on improving that for next time.

In the exam, give yourself less timings than you think. That way, when you run over on questions, you'll have some 'spare' time that you can use.

Plenty of people have to retake; you aren't alone. Try doing a few times practice papers too and replicate the conditions of the exam as best as you can to get used to the situation.

Good luck if you do it again! You can get that C! :smile:
You didnt practice properly then. or you can use your mental health issues.
Practice is the only way to learn how to deal with it.

Of course I practised, and who are you to say that I didn't? My brain works more slowly than other people's and that's not something I can improve on, it's an illness.
Original post by Ara8311a
It's okay. Of course you can retake and next time you'll have a better idea what it feels like to take the exam. Try to pinpoint why you couldn't focus so you can work on improving that for next time.

In the exam, give yourself less timings than you think. That way, when you run over on questions, you'll have some 'spare' time that you can use.

Plenty of people have to retake; you aren't alone. Try doing a few times practice papers too and replicate the conditions of the exam as best as you can to get used to the situation.

Good luck if you do it again! You can get that C! :smile:

Thanks but having a slow brain due to illness isn't something I can work on. Its not going to improve.
I just hope the examiners are sympathetic. I'd have to pay a fortune to retake.
Reply 15
If you've already been given extra time and still didn't finish they won't be able to take that into account I'm afraid. It will be an overall mark based on what you did. Unfortunately missing out an 8 mark question and not finishing others means you probably won't be getting a high mark. Not to worry you, I'm just telling you from a marker's perspective. They are sent questions without student names to mark.

I assume you discussed your issues in order to get the extra time - what judgement did they make about it?

Some of my students in my mock exams really struggled with time and it's always better to at least attempt and gain 2 or 3 marks than just leave questions blank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course I practised, and who are you to say that I didn't? My brain works more slowly than other people's and that's not something I can improve on, it's an illness.

I said you didnt practice properly, which is not saying you didnt practice at all. Whatever you did, didnt work. If you are not answering questions, its because you don't know the answer (lack of prep) or you have not spread your time evenly in answering the questions. If you have 4 questions and 2hrs then its basic exam technique that you should spend 25% if your time on each question.

Presumably they gave you the extra time to compensate for your illness. If you feel the problem wasnt enough time, then you should reapply for your special consideration and ask for more time.
I said you didnt practice properly, which is not saying you didnt practice at all. Whatever you did, didnt work. If you are not answering questions, its because you don't know the answer (lack of prep) or you have not spread your time evenly in answering the questions. If you have 4 questions and 2hrs then its basic exam technique that you should spend 25% if your time on each question.

Presumably they gave you the extra time to compensate for your illness. If you feel the problem wasnt enough time, then you should reapply for your special consideration and ask for more time.

It's neither of those. I am slow to think and come up with ideas to write. When I got stuck on something I did move on, or else I wouldn't have got anything done at all. In English there isn't one set answer.
I did practice properly, tried to do past papers like everyone else. I didn't revise as much as I should have because of lack of concentration.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JustJen
If you've already been given extra time and still didn't finish they won't be able to take that into account I'm afraid. It will be an overall mark based on what you did. Unfortunately missing out an 8 mark question and not finishing others means you probably won't be getting a high mark. Not to worry you, I'm just telling you from a marker's perspective. They are sent questions without student names to mark.

I assume you discussed your issues in order to get the extra time - what judgement did they make about it?

Some of my students in my mock exams really struggled with time and it's always better to at least attempt and gain 2 or 3 marks than just leave questions blank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did get extra time. I know I won't pass let alone get a high mark . What's ironic is my tutor thought I'd get an A based on my coursework.
Reply 19
You will have one chance to repeat with that controlled assessment folder. After that I assume you'd have to take the new spec for AQA which is much more difficult.

All I can say is that, while I understand it asks you to do a lot in a short amount of time, unfortunately because you've already been given extra time over other students and still did not complete the paper it is unlikely you will be given more.

I agree with other posters that to practise makes perfect. It takes training and you need to know how to approach each question. They are formulaic and the same every year - the only the thing that changes are the sources. Keep doing practice papers as much as you can, time yourself very strictly and over time you will find you improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending