The Student Room Group

Batwing Abaya?

Ok so I want to wear an abaya bc it's so much less hassle and I'll feel the most comfortable in it. However, they're so expensive so being the creative and driven person that I am, I decided to make on myself! I'm thinking of making a batwing abaya bc super easy and quick but idk if it'll be functional to wear so anyone wants to give advice? Yay or nay? If anyone has done something like this before, mind giving me some tips :smile:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=batwing+abaya&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB622GB622&biw=1517&bih=741&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLu467x5bNAhXpKsAKHWSADE0Q_AUI8wIoAQ&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=batwing+black+abaya&imgdii=voIiwHDCek6XzM%3A%3BvoIiwHDCek6XzM%3A%3BkrclRzwVGnuQnM%3A&imgrc=voIiwHDCek6XzM%3A

[spoiler] Be kind and respectful or get reported

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah go for it! :biggrin:

Do you know what material and colour you want to use?
It's beautiful!
[QUOTE="Mrs.Grey;65538425"]Ok so I want to wear an abaya bc it's so much less hassle and I'll feel the most comfortable in it. However, they're so expensive so being the creative and driven person that I am, I decided to make on myself! I'm thinking of making a batwing abaya bc super easy and quick but idk if it'll be functional to wear so anyone wants to give advice? Yay or nay? If anyone has done something like this before, mind giving me some tips :smile:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=batwing+abaya&rlz=1C1TEUA_enGB622GB622&biw=1517&bih=741&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLu467x5bNAhXpKsAKHWSADE0Q_AUI8wIoAQ&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=batwing+black+abaya&imgdii=voIiwHDCek6XzM%3A%3BvoIiwHDCek6XzM%3A%3BkrclRzwVGnuQnM%3A&imgrc=voIiwHDCek6XzM%3A

Spoiler

I'm not a woman and I can assure you that I've never wore an abaya before, but wear what you wan't I guess.:smile:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by aamirac
Yeah go for it! :biggrin:

Do you know what material and colour you want to use?

Thanks! I want to use black and most likely jersey bc it's so beautiful and comfortable :smile:
Reply 5
they aren't really u can get a nice plain one for under £20. If ur looking online they can be expensive.
Sorry i don't know anything about DIY abayas lol
Reply 6
Thank you! :smile:
[QUOTE="Mrs.Grey;65538425"]Ok so I want to wear an abaya bc it's so much less hassle and I'll feel the most comfortable in it. However, they're so expensive so being the creative and driven person that I am, I decided to make on myself! I'm thinking of making a batwing abaya bc super easy and quick but idk if it'll be functional to wear so anyone wants to give advice? Yay or nay? If anyone has done something like this before, mind giving me some tips :smile:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTZN8z2Yvk

Dina Tokio posted a video on this ages ago- hope it helps! =D
Reply 8
Original post by IRoranth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTZN8z2Yvk

Dina Tokio posted a video on this ages ago- hope it helps! =D

Thanks!...but that's how I got the inspiration from :laugh:
Reply 9
Looks awesome, but i swear some Pakistanis get annoyed when Pakistani girls wear an Abaya.
Original post by saeed9746
Looks awesome, but i swear some Pakistanis get annoyed when Pakistani girls wear an Abaya.

lol why?
Original post by Anonymous
lol why?

I guess they feel insulted that some copy others in terms of clothes.
I guess they feel insulted that some copy others in terms of clothes.

It's a religious piece of clothing. Loads of muslim women wear abaya's.
Reply 13

Spoiler

Looool i read "Be kind and respectful or get deported" 😂😂😂😂 anyway id say go for it. I love to wear a gallabiyyah/kamees bc of the comfortability but unfortunately where I live I get a lot of looks....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
It's a religious piece of clothing. Loads of muslim women wear abaya's.

What someone replied to me regarding the Abaya with other desis agreeing with this:
"I actually dislike this. I don't understand why people insist upon adopting a more middle eastern way of dressing when in Islam you are only required to cover up and not dress in a certain style. I mean you can wear a salwar kameez and still be dressing in accordance with what's required in Islam. I feel like they are letting go of a bit of their cultural identity when there really is no need to."
They look nice and I am sure they will suit you:smile: .
Although I will need some pics of you in one to confirm :colone:.
What someone replied to me regarding the Abaya with other desis agreeing with this:
"I actually dislike this. I don't understand why people insist upon adopting a more middle eastern way of dressing when in Islam you are only required to cover up and not dress in a certain style. I mean you can wear a salwar kameez and still be dressing in accordance with what's required in Islam. I feel like they are letting go of a bit of their cultural identity when there really is no need to."

You can have a mix of both. Salwar kameez is just too bright to be wearing it outside every day. There's occasions where I would wear it eg. events, guests houses etc. But tbh I coudnt walk out the house wearing salwar kameez. I don't currently wear the abaya but I want too. So yeah I wear western clothes in that sense - jeans, shirts etc.

Oh I don't find saree's to be modest.. But hey that's a different point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
They look nice and I am sure they will suit you:smile: .
Although I will need some pics of you in one to confirm :colone:.

calm down buddy
Original post by Hibzish

Why delete the insulting comment ?
First of all,I am only joking,she is in a abaya, not lingerie.Since an abaya is meant not to reveal a girl`s shape,its pointless to even attempt to sexualise it like your doing.
No need for the insults,what happened to muslims being nice during Ramadan ?
Oh Im sorry ,it seems you mix and choose what rules you follow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending