The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology B AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June 8BI0 01

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rigby16
Was that the one on how nitrate ions are transported?

I put active transport from soil to plant then through xylem vessels via the transpiration stream?

Think we sat a different paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christina1999H
Think we sat a different paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you have the 6 marker on lead concentration and making your own investigation for testing the effects on a tomato plant?
the question about phloem was interesting? don't know whether I got it right
Original post by Rigby16
Was that the one on how nitrate ions are transported?

I put active transport from soil to plant then through xylem vessels via the transpiration stream?

I was going to put that, but then again the question read how are they transported from the roots to the leaves. I presume the active transport takes place before the bit the question is asking about. I may be incorrect though.
Original post by Marvin16
I was going to put that, but then again the question read how are they transported from the roots to the leaves. I presume the active transport takes place before the bit the question is asking about. I may be incorrect though.

Yeah i thought this but you never know with edexcel :/ some Qs they ask you to explain and give detail for 2 marks others you have to give 2 different reasons its weird. Maybe 1 mark for stating xylem vessels and another for saying transpiration?
Original post by Rigby16
Yeah i thought this but you never know with edexcel :/ some Qs they ask you to explain and give detail for 2 marks others you have to give 2 different reasons its weird. Maybe 1 mark for stating xylem vessels and another for saying transpiration?

Yeah, they can be odd. I think you should get 1 mark for your answer, although they do sometimes add in the 'allow' part of the mark scheme things like this, the question was a bit ambiguous as the exact same thing ran through my mind about active transport. I know i only got one mark for it as i only talked about it being moved by the xylem. Anything else from the paper you remember?
Yeah, they can be odd. I think you should get 1 mark for your answer, although they do sometimes add in the 'allow' part of the mark scheme things like this, the question was a bit ambiguous as the exact same thing ran through my mind about active transport. I know i only got one mark for it as i only talked about it being moved by the xylem. Anything else from the paper you remember?

The 6 Marker on creating an experiment to test the lead concentration on tomato plants :smile:

what did you put?
Original post by Rigby16
The 6 Marker on creating an experiment to test the lead concentration on tomato plants :smile:

what did you put?

This question confused me alot, But i remember listing the equipment, saying to grow them for a set time. Naming the controls, CO2,light,H2O etc... and then i waffled about a method and said the mass should be used to see weather the plant has grown well or not and then you should see which plants grew well in the higher concentrations of lead, if they grew well in for example 500PPM but not any higher, than they could be classified as having medium tolerance.
This question confused me alot, But i remember listing the equipment, saying to grow them for a set time. Naming the controls, CO2,light,H2O etc... and then i waffled about a method and said the mass should be used to see weather the plant has grown well or not and then you should see which plants grew well in the higher concentrations of lead, if they grew well in for example 500PPM but not any higher, than they could be classified as having medium tolerance.

Woops i didn't list any equipment.

I said to control the PH of 4 tomato plants to ensure they are all grown in the same soil environment. Sterilise equipment. Place them in a growth medium with the same nutrients to ensure its the lead having an effect and not a lack of nutrients. after 7 days weigh them and record their colour. place them into a catagory (the ones in the table based on their weight). Replicate and repeat to ensure reliable results.
Original post by Rigby16
Woops i didn't list any equipment.

I said to control the PH of 4 tomato plants to ensure they are all grown in the same soil environment. Sterilise equipment. Place them in a growth medium with the same nutrients to ensure its the lead having an effect and not a lack of nutrients. after 7 days weigh them and record their colour. place them into a catagory (the ones in the table based on their weight). Replicate and repeat to ensure reliable results.

Sounds great, i also said to repeat, forgot about that. And i just realised the question was asking about already grown tomato plants :frown: I need to read the question better i presumed it was talking about growing them from scratch in different concs of lead rip. i think i should still get 3 marks or so hopefully. But yeah yours sounds great!
Sounds great, i also said to repeat, forgot about that. And i just realised the question was asking about already grown tomato plants :frown: I need to read the question better i presumed it was talking about growing them from scratch in different concs of lead rip. i think i should still get 3 marks or so hopefully. But yeah yours sounds great!

What did you put for the 4 marker on the anti freeze protein, how is the polypeptide processed ?
Original post by Rigby16
Did you have the 6 marker on lead concentration and making your own investigation for testing the effects on a tomato plant?

Nooo haha, glad this paper didn't have any make your own experiment questions 😂 hope yours went well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Anyone remember the anti-freezing protein question?
I can't remember exactly but it is about why the anti-freezing protein is not necessary to evolve or something, I think I misunderstand the question so what is the question ask you about?

I put down an era and something like global warming but i think that sounds not relevant
Original post by JZ0120
Anyone remember the anti-freezing protein question?
I can't remember exactly but it is about why the anti-freezing protein is not necessary to evolve or something, I think I misunderstand the question so what is the question ask you about?

I put down an era and something like global warming but i think that sounds not relevant

What did you write when it asked how the polypeptide is processed (the questions was like mrna attacthes to the ribosome...how is the polypeptide processed?)
Reply 74
Original post by Rigby16
What did you write when it asked how the polypeptide is processed (the questions was like mrna attacthes to the ribosome...how is the polypeptide processed?)

I put down the process of protein synthesis
Such as it attach to ribosome and then enters rER where it is being folded into a 3d shape. It then pinch off as vesicles and then i mention golgi apparatus and exocytosis. :smile:

Do you remember the anti-freezing protein question? the one beside a graph and they ask you to find at which point it doesn't need to evolve anti-freezing protein... ( i can't remember the question so if you could remind me what the question is )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending