The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Language - 23rd May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how to structure Part A on Paper 2???

Also I don't really understand the opinionated article and just wondered if anyone has some good vocabulary to use in it or advice on how to gain top band marks in both Part A and B of paper 2?

Does anyone know how to structure Part A on Paper 2???

Also I don't really understand the opinionated article and just wondered if anyone has some good vocabulary to use in it or advice on how to gain top band marks in both Part A and B of paper 2?

I'm the best at the opinion article schlock -- all you really need to do is write an articulate essay that states your opinion while backing it up with language theories.

Meanwhile for Part A, I'm not entirely sure if there is any inherent paragraph structure, but you're meant to talk about...

- Your argument
- Your quote
- What the quote means
- Relate it to language theories
- Relate it to the question
Reply 143
predictions??
Any predictions ?
What do you think is likely to come up for Question 2 on paper 2 (age, gender, occupation, power, accent???)
Original post by poppy_riley
What do you think is likely to come up for Question 2 on paper 2 (age, gender, occupation, power, accent???)

If it's occupation, then I'm guaranteed an A lol
I've made a thread for a discussion about paper 2 if you guys want to check it out. No replies yet :redface:
Reply 148
predictions??????????????????????????
If the question is about occupation, can you link in other factors such as gender and power??
Original post by poppy_riley
If the question is about occupation, can you link in other factors such as gender and power??

You can link in political power as well depending on the conversation, or accent if the transcript calls for it.
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
You can link in political power as well depending on the conversation, or accent if the transcript calls for it.

Okay thankyou! It's just i don't have many theorists for occupation
Original post by TheTakers
I can't say for sure! I'm doing the new spec, so if there's any overlap between the new and old spec, I could help with that?

AQA merged their A and B English Language for the new spec. There is just "English Language" rather than "English Language A" or "English Language B"!
Original post by EugeneMcollum123
Anybody know when they'll put the paper/mark scheme online?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The paper is usually released January-March the following year. Teachers have it on a secure AQA site a few days after students have done their exams. So you could ask your teacher to go through it with you.

Mark scheme will be released either just before Results Day or after.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
AQA merged their A and B English Language for the new spec. There is just "English Language" rather than "English Language A" or "English Language B"!

Oh, cool! Thanks for the info! I won't be doing English next year, though, but hopefully this can help others next year!
Did anyone answer question 1 on the paper and if so what generally did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone answer question 1 on the paper and if so what generally did you write about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I talked about how its language appealed more to emotions and mental states as opposed to practical action, but encouraged confidence and independence which meant it would deviate from my data which came from the Kim Kardashian interview on Question 3.

To be honest, I had no idea how to answer the question. Our teacher always told us it will be either a transcript question or a data question and it was neither, so a bunch of people in my class are quite unhappy about the outcome of the exam...
I talked about how its language appealed more to emotions and mental states as opposed to practical action, but encouraged confidence and independence which meant it would deviate from my data which came from the Kim Kardashian interview on Question 3.

To be honest, I had no idea how to answer the question. Our teacher always told us it will be either a transcript question or a data question and it was neither, so a bunch of people in my class are quite unhappy about the outcome of the exam...

Yeah everyone's a little angry at our teacher too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah everyone's a little angry at our teacher too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed my English department and they're blaming the students for some dumb reason... This is sad. I suggest you email your department, and everybody else in this thread should do the same. AQA have ****ed up the exams this year, even with GCSE Biology and the GCSE paper - we are the most tested youth in the world and these exams determine so much in your life, including what quality of education you will get in the future. Therefore, people should be more pissed off when an exam board is actively screwing them over...
I emailed my English department and they're blaming the students for some dumb reason... This is sad. I suggest you email your department, and everybody else in this thread should do the same. AQA have ****ed up the exams this year, even with GCSE Biology and the GCSE paper - we are the most tested youth in the world and these exams determine so much in your life, including what quality of education you will get in the future. Therefore, people should be more pissed off when an exam board is actively screwing them over...

The grade boundaries reflect how everyone who took the exam did so although AQA may have made the exam harder, your grade will not be different unless it was only you who found it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending