The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Geography exam 2016 - revision

Hi everyone, I am currently trying to revise for tomorrows exam and thought that everyone should pull info together for some extra cramming! Feel free to leave questions or revision sources or whatever you want really.

So I found that OCR doesn't use case studies from previous years but I can't find the 2015 paper anywhere, does anyone know what the case studies and theme/topics were last year?
Reply 1
there was international migration, MEDC tectonic hazard and an industry location I think
Reply 2
Original post by ojmorgs
there was international migration, MEDC tectonic hazard and an industry location I think

Please don't speak you peasant, you don't even know what your talking about dizzy man. Rivers and coasts was last year in the key themes exam so you already flopped. Last year was population management, LEDC Climatic hazard and something on rivers and coasts.
Reply 3
Original post by Ads.m
Please don't speak you peasant, you don't even know what your talking about dizzy man. Rivers and coasts was last year in the key themes exam so you already flopped. Last year was population management, LEDC Climatic hazard and something on rivers and coasts.

Don't be rude, but thanks! I was hoping for population management :frown:
OCR does use case studies from previous years but won't ask exactly the same question - e.g. they might ask for success of an aid project instead of sustainability, etc. They might ask for an LEDC tectonic hazard, effects of overpopulation/retail provision change, and industry in an LEDC/management of environmental impacts. That is only guessed from recent past papers, so don't take my word for it! Good luck
Reply 5
Here's a list of case studies (at least the ones that I've learnt) and I've included 2 facts for each. Hope you find this useful :biggrin: :

Population

1. Population management: China's one child policy
- It was introduced in 1979 to slow the population growth and prevent another famine
- According to the Chinese government, 400 million births have been prevented

2. International Migration: Poland to UK
- Since Poland joined the EU in 2004 over 500,000 have have come to live in the UK
- About £4 billion is sent back to Poland a year

3. Internal Migration: UK North to South, London to rural
- There were an estimated 2.8 million internal migration moves into local authorities in England and Wales in 2012
- London has the biggest net loss (more people moving out than in)

Settlement

1. A redevelopment,regeneration: London Docklands
- By 1980 most of the old docks had closed due to containerisation
- 100,000 new jobs have been created due to the regeneration

2. Retail change: Meadow hall shopping centre, Sheffield
- Meadowhall is an indoor shopping centre in Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- There are more than 200 stores and 50 restaurants in Meadowhall

Economic development

1. An aid project in an LEDC: WaterAid, Mali
- WaterAid operates in the landlocked country of Mali, West Africa
- 12 million people don't have access to adequate sanitation and 4 million don't have access to a safe water supply

2. Location of industry in an LEDC: Southeast Brazil
- Fait opened a plant in Belo Horizente in 1976 which employs 12,000 workers and produces 650,000 cars each year
- The south-east region of Brazil is the most developed

3. Location of industry in an MEDC: M4 corridor, UK
- The M4 corridor attracts many footloose companies; Microsoft, Honda, Oracle etc
- Links with universities and research organizations e.g. Oxford, Reading, Bath

4. A Multi-national corporation (MNC): Coca cola in India
- There are 70 Coca cola factories in India
- Each bottle of 0.33 litre coke takes 1 litre of water to produce and many regions in India suffer from droughts and water shortages

5. Environmental concerns with economic development: Pearl River Delta, China
- The Pearl River Delta, Guangdong province, surrounds the Peal River estuary where is flows into the South China sea
- Water pollution is a severe problem in China and affects as muh as 70% of the country's rivers, lakes and reservoirs

Natural disasters and Climatic hazards

1. A natural disaster in an LEDC: Haiti earthquake 2010
- Haiti lies right on the boundary of the Caribbean and North American plates
- On 12th January 2010 a magnitude 7 earthquake hit Haiti, the epicentre was 25km west of Port-au-Prince, the capital. Over 230,000 deaths

2. A natural disaster in an MEDC: Mt Etna volcanic eruption 2002
- Mt Etna is located in Sicily, Italy
- No one died but over 100 houses were damaged from the resulting earthquakes

3. MEDC Climatic hazard: Hurricane Katrina 2005
- Hurricane Katrina hit the states of Louisiana and Mississippi as a category 4 storm
- 1 million people were made homeless, 1,836 people died and the damage cost over $10 billion, the most costly hurricane recorded

4. LEDC Climatic hazard: Cyclone Nargis 2008
- Hit Myanmar (Burma), southeast Asia, and went directly over the low-lying Irrawaddy delta
- 138,000 people died (2nd deadliest cyclone of all time) and 75% of buildings collapsed in Burma

Let me know if anything is wrong or I missed something :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rocco123
OCR does use case studies from previous years but won't ask exactly the same question - e.g. they might ask for success of an aid project instead of sustainability, etc. They might ask for an LEDC tectonic hazard, effects of overpopulation/retail provision change, and industry in an LEDC/management of environmental impacts. That is only guessed from recent past papers, so don't take my word for it! Good luck

ok thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Does anyone have tips for the map skills? how do you read the grid points, for some reason you end up with 6 numbers e.g. 789,567??
Original post by Marzfox
Does anyone have tips for the map skills? how do you read the grid points, for some reason you end up with 6 numbers e.g. 789,567??

You use the first two numbers on the map grid, to get the third number for both up and along, mentally divide the grid squares into 10 smaller squares, and then the third number in the grid reference comes from this mental smaller division of the grid squares. If you type 'how to do six figure grid references' into google I'm sure someone will give a much better explaination than I have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending