The Student Room Group

Dissertation grade lower than expected

Not sure if the right forum but I needed some advice.

I normally get 70-90% on my university coursework but for my dissertation which I worked really hard on I got a 2.1 grade, meaning my average is pulled right down and I might miss out on a first by less than 1%.

It doesn't add up though cos I have so many firsts that id qualify for a distinction (you need 4 at 70 or above and I have 6..) so how can I get a 2.1 overall but a distinction first?

I'm hoping my degree is rounded up but I feel sick because I don't understand how I could've bombed so hard on my dissertation.

Scroll to see replies

Read what the rules are for your university.
Look into getting a rmark or an explanation.
Id you are hitting 90% then you must know how to figure this out.
What university are you at? Every university classification system is different, but many have a clause whereby if a student has performed well over the course of their degree and is only brought down by one assignment, then they are awarded the upper classification.
Many other universities have a system whereby they award you the upper classification if you are within 1% of achieving it.

However, I fail to see how someone who has achieved 80%+ in some things can have had their average reduced so much by one 2:1 grade. A 2:1 is still a good mark on a piece of work, it seems bizarre that someone who has achieved firsts on everything else can get a 2:1 on their dissertation and then be awarded a 2:1 overall.
Was your dissertation a low 2:1?
Or is it weighted significantly higher than the rest of the degree elements?
Or was your average actually just over the first class boundary (70-75%)?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure if the right forum but I needed some advice.

I normally get 70-90% on my university coursework but for my dissertation which I worked really hard on I got a 2.1 grade, meaning my average is pulled right down and I might miss out on a first by less than 1%.

It doesn't add up though cos I have so many firsts that id qualify for a distinction (you need 4 at 70 or above and I have 6..) so how can I get a 2.1 overall but a distinction first?

I'm hoping my degree is rounded up but I feel sick because I don't understand how I could've bombed so hard on my dissertation.

If you don't automatically get detailed feedback with your dissertation, ask your diss supervisor if they can give you some.
Gets a 2.1 and thinks they've 'bombed so hard'. This would only happen on TSR.

Op you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieBlogger
Gets a 2.1 and thinks they've 'bombed so hard'. This would only happen on TSR.

Op you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you had been getting consistent first class grades and were predicted a first class degree, you would be gutted if you thought you'd come out with a 2:1 too. I know I certainly would be. There isn't anything wrong with getting a 2:1, but if you've been on track for a first consistently and then fall at the last hurdle, it's hardly a happy moment.
Original post by GoingToBurst
If you had been getting consistent first class grades and were predicted a first class degree, you would be gutted if you thought you'd come out with a 2:1 too. I know I certainly would be. There isn't anything wrong with getting a 2:1, but if you've been on track for a first consistently and then fall at the last hurdle, it's hardly a happy moment.

No I wouldn't since I got a 2.1.
No I wouldn't since I got a 2.1.

Fair enough, but most people on track for a first would be gutted if they actually got a 2:1. Not because a 2:1 is bad, but because it isn't what they had been on track for for the rest of their degree.
Fair enough, but most people on track for a first would be gutted if they actually got a 2:1. Not because a 2:1 is bad, but because it isn't what they had been on track for for the rest of their degree.

There's more important things in life to be concerned about. A 1st won't drastically change anyone's life more than a 2.1 would.
There's more important things in life to be concerned about. A 1st won't drastically change anyone's life more than a 2.1 would.

It's a personal goal though, and anyone who sets goals will know how disheartening it is to miss out on those goals. People will have their own reasons for aiming for a first, and missing out on that will naturally be upsetting.
It's a personal goal though, and anyone who sets goals will know how disheartening it is to miss out on those goals. People will have their own reasons for aiming for a first, and missing out on that will naturally be upsetting.

Well they're in for a big shock when they enter the real world and actual upsetting and distressing things start happening in their lives. One major thing they'll learn is that most people don't get what they deserve - good or bad - that's just life and rather than complaining and worrying, you grow a pair and deal with it and move forward. There is literally no point in beating yourself up over a university grade or wallowing in self pity. You move on. A 2.1 ain't gonna destroy your life for God's sake - it's not as though you're suddenly paraplegic.
Well they're in for a big shock when they enter the real world and actual upsetting and distressing things start happening in their lives. One major thing they'll learn is that most people don't get what they deserve - good or bad - that's just life and rather than complaining and worrying, you grow a pair and deal with it and move forward. There is literally no point in beating yourself up over a university grade or wallowing in self pity. You move on. A 2.1 ain't gonna destroy your life for God's sake - it's not as though you're suddenly paraplegic.

Christ, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? People have every right to be upset about whatever the hell they want to be upset about. People don't only get upset about things that are life destroying, people get disappointed about plenty of things.

You aren't any more of an adult because you got a 2:1 and decided not to care that you didn't get a first. For some people, "actual" (whatever you mean by that, given that you have no right to say what can and cannot upset or distress other people) distressing things have occurred in their lives already and missing an important goal they set for themselves may just be more bad news they don't need at that time. No one is saying the world has ended or anyone's life is over, all I'm saying is that if someone has put their all into something, has been on track for it consistently and falls at the last hurdle, they have every right to disappointed. You don't have to lose a limb to be sad.
Christ, who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? People have every right to be upset about whatever the hell they want to be upset about. People don't only get upset about things that are life destroying, people get disappointed about plenty of things.

You aren't any more of an adult because you got a 2:1 and decided not to care that you didn't get a first. For some people, "actual" (whatever you mean by that, given that you have no right to say what can and cannot upset or distress other people) distressing things have occurred in their lives already and missing an important goal they set for themselves may just be more bad news they don't need at that time. No one is saying the world has ended or anyone's life is over, all I'm saying is that if someone has put their all into something, has been on track for it consistently and falls at the last hurdle, they have every right to disappointed. You don't have to lose a limb to be sad.

I think y'all need to take a step back and chill.

It wont let me post anon but I'm not too fussed.

I am bummed about my fall in grade because of several reasons:

mentally ill parent, meaning I've had a really stressful time growing up in an unpredictable environment, causing low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, etc. Going to uni and achieving something for me wouldve made me feel good about myself, it would be something to be proud of despite my *****y life at home (I couldnt move out for uni).

Spending every weekend working as a cleaner, cleaning up ****, piss, vomit, blood, etc. whilst everyone else at uni partied hard at the weekends. I had a poor social life and began to feel resentful, but thought hey im working hard, earning money, and itll all pay off cos at least ill get a first and i can be proud of myself.

also was in an abusive relationship with a guy who constantly put me down everyday and even said he didnt want me to go to uni. i went anyway. but the way he treated me still effects me to this day, ie low self-esteem, dont believe in my ability, get 100% on an essay but cant feel good about it because I have no sense of self worth. But yeah, getting a first overall and being able to give two fingers to that guy and prove i am worth something and im awesome at academia, thats not a big deal to you.

i am in the real world and Ive dealt with a lot of crap, really hard crap, half of it i havent even mentioned yet. i dont want pity or sympathy, id be happy with a 2.1 cos its still a degree, but yeah i had goals and wanted to do this for me, to make me feel good, to make me believe in myself, and maybe i put too much pressure on myself to achieve a first or nothing, but maybe achieving that life goal wouldve turned things around for me.

so maybe in the future you should get some context of the persons life before you think im being all "boo hoo i could get a 2.1" when thats not what im being like at all.
Original post by Chocolatesoup

mentally ill parent, meaning I've had a really stressful time growing up in an unpredictable environment, causing low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, etc. Going to uni and achieving something for me wouldve made me feel good about myself, it would be something to be proud of despite my *****y life at home (I couldnt move out for uni).

Spending every weekend working as a cleaner, cleaning up ****, piss, vomit, blood, etc. whilst everyone else at uni partied hard at the weekends. I had a poor social life and began to feel resentful, but thought hey im working hard, earning money, and itll all pay off cos at least ill get a first and i can be proud of myself.

also was in an abusive relationship with a guy who constantly put me down everyday and even said he didnt want me to go to uni. i went anyway. but the way he treated me still effects me to this day, ie low self-esteem, dont believe in my ability, get 100% on an essay but cant feel good about it because I have no sense of self worth. But yeah, getting a first overall and being able to give two fingers to that guy and prove i am worth something and im awesome at academia, thats not a big deal to you.

i am in the real world and Ive dealt with a lot of crap, really hard crap, half of it i havent even mentioned yet. i dont want pity or sympathy, id be happy with a 2.1 cos its still a degree, but yeah i had goals and wanted to do this for me, to make me feel good, to make me believe in myself, and maybe i put too much pressure on myself to achieve a first or nothing, but maybe achieving that life goal wouldve turned things around for me.

so maybe in the future you should get some context of the persons life before you think im being all "boo hoo i could get a 2.1" when thats not what im being like at all.

I don't know you but I'm proud of you for getting through uni with all of that going on in your life, you're a trooper!
Reply 15

We had absolutely no way of knowing any of that unless you told us. There's no point posting 5% of the situation and then moaning when you get what you consider to be an inappropriate response. You didn't give us the context. Nobody here is psychic.

I'm sorry - but welcome to adult life! We all have crap to deal with that other people don't know about. You wouldn't even believe what I had to go through to get my degree and I'm not about to tell you since 1. It doesn't matter 2. I got through it and 3. No one cares what anyone's dealt with anyway - sounds harsh but it's someone you learn the older you get.

Your job as a cleaner? I worked as a HCA cleaning up bodily functions and you know what, I looked on the bright side and got to know my patients and really enjoyed the job - it's all about attitude and gratitude. We all have a cross to bear and getting stuck on one thing and hinging your happiness on it will not help. What happens if you don't get that one thing? You can't do that to yourself. You've got to look on the positive side and live in the 'now'. Your past is irrelevant and so it the future - you are here, focus on that. And if you get a 2.1 - celebrate it.
I'm sorry - but welcome to adult life! We all have crap to deal with that other people don't know about. You wouldn't even believe what I had to go through to get my degree and I'm not about to tell you since 1. It doesn't matter 2. I got through it and 3. No one cares what anyone's dealt with anyway - sounds harsh but it's someone you learn the older you get.

Your job as a cleaner? I worked as a HCA cleaning up bodily functions and you know what, I looked on the bright side and got to know my patients and really enjoyed the job - it's all about attitude and gratitude. We all have a cross to bear and getting stuck on one thing and hinging your happiness on it will not help. What happens if you don't get that one thing? You can't do that to yourself. You've got to look on the positive side and live in the 'now'. Your past is irrelevant and so it the future - you are here, focus on that. And if you get a 2.1 - celebrate it.

I dont know why its so hard for you to understand that I set myself a goal, something to aim for, and I missed it, by less than 1%, so im going to feel how I feel, disappointed, gutted etc. thats natural. i know people who aimed for a 2.1 and are getting a 2.2, or thought theyd get a 2.2 and are getting a 3rd. they will feel the same way as me, theyre gutted things didnt turn out how they thought they would. yeah some people dont care what they get in their degree, or are happy to just get one, but for anyone whos set a goal and aimed for something, when its anything in life, going for a promotion, passing your driving test etc., if you dont achieve what you set out to its normal to feel gutted.

and yeah thats adult life, sometimes things dont work out the way you wanted, but my post wasnt about that, i just simply asked for advice on whether people thought id manage to get rounded up to a first afterall. i didnt say wah wah boo hoo its not fair! im accepting that i mustve done something wrong or couldve done things better in my diss, which i will learn from and itll be a positive experience to grow as a person and an academic.

this is one part of my life and ill face many other disappointments or even huge failures, yeah thats part of adult life. but it doesnt mean i cant feel gutted about those things happening! its only human.
Original post by Klix88
We had absolutely no way of knowing any of that unless you told us. There's no point posting 5% of the situation and then moaning when you get what you consider to be an inappropriate response. You didn't give us the context. Nobody here is psychic.

but this response makes sense in this post?

Im not wallowing in self pity or beating myself up, i was initially shocked and disappointed, anyone who goes from getting up to 90% on essays getting less than 70% will feel a bit gutted and disappointed in themselves. i know a lot of people on my course who got their first bad marks in essays last year and they were devastated, because theyd always done well and to suddenly do badly it came as a shock, its hard for people to go from the top to the bottom. and yeah life could worse, i could be "suddenly paraplegic", but you cant compare life situations on some scale of badness and misfortune. some life experiences effect some people worse than others, your pet cat dying could make you depressed whilst someone else sees it as no big deal. its about just being empathetic. yes my life isnt over, i never thought it was (although it does actually effect a part of my future but i dont see the point in mentioning that now).
I dont know why its so hard for you to understand that I set myself a goal, something to aim for, and I missed it, by less than 1%, so im going to feel how I feel, disappointed, gutted etc. thats natural. i know people who aimed for a 2.1 and are getting a 2.2, or thought theyd get a 2.2 and are getting a 3rd. they will feel the same way as me, theyre gutted things didnt turn out how they thought they would. yeah some people dont care what they get in their degree, or are happy to just get one, but for anyone whos set a goal and aimed for something, when its anything in life, going for a promotion, passing your driving test etc., if you dont achieve what you set out to its normal to feel gutted.

and yeah thats adult life, sometimes things dont work out the way you wanted, but my post wasnt about that, i just simply asked for advice on whether people thought id manage to get rounded up to a first afterall. i didnt say wah wah boo hoo its not fair! im accepting that i mustve done something wrong or couldve done things better in my diss, which i will learn from and itll be a positive experience to grow as a person and an academic.

this is one part of my life and ill face many other disappointments or even huge failures, yeah thats part of adult life. but it doesnt mean i cant feel gutted about those things happening! its only human.

Check your uni regulations. They'll usually round you up or take a view that a certain percentage of your degree is at the first so your whole degree will be a first.

What uni do you study at?

Quick Reply

Latest