The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevelpain
Really? where is the input? we weren't taught this and I'm scared in case this comes up

The PM (on the advice of the LC) has a final veto over appointments. However you could counter it and say that although this is legally true, it's unlikely to happen.

I dug out my textbook to answer this and also found other points that can threaten independence:

> the gov still retains control of the legal system through the Justice Ministry. It's not direct control but suggests a good deal of influence.
> in recent years there's been an increasing tendency for politicians to enter into open political dialogue wth judges over such issues as sentencing policy and the protection of rights. Though this isn't direct interference, it may result in indirect pressure being place on the judiciary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toniyasminn
not very safe, know someone who is resisting cause the two he studied for came up in the same section. judiciary is quite long so i advice to ignore that and study the other 3 :smile:

How on earth is judiciary long? It's the shortest chapter in the textbook and prechewed politics (which covers both Edexcel and aqa) has just 3 videos on it - half the amount than parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toniyasminn
i doubt that because that was the 25 marker in the 2015 paper..

yeah that's what I said :tongue:
Reply 523
Original post by Louise12307
How on earth is judiciary long? It's the shortest chapter in the textbook and prechewed politics (which covers both Edexcel and aqa) has just 3 videos on it - half the amount than parliament.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's videos? Mind linking me to some?
The PM (on the advice of the LC) has a final veto over appointments. However you could counter it and say that although this is legally true, it's unlikely to happen.

I dug out my textbook to answer this and also found other points that can threaten independence:

> the gov still retains control of the legal system through the Justice Ministry. It's not direct control but suggests a good deal of influence.
> in recent years there's been an increasing tendency for politicians to enter into open political dialogue wth judges over such issues as sentencing policy and the protection of rights. Though this isn't direct interference, it may result in indirect pressure being place on the judiciary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you appreciate this
This is sooo risky but I've noticed is that since 2009, the topics have always been in sets (Constitution and Parliament / Judiciary and Pm&Cabinet). So: if Constitution is a source then Parliament is an essay question and vice versa. Same applies to Judiciary and Pm&Cabinet It hasn't changed since the 2009 but from the way they screwed us over for Unit 1, I wouldn't be shocked if they changed the layout of Unit 2 completely. Don't rely on this pattern as it is best to revise at least 3 topics but its something to keep in the back of your mind :smile: hope this helped xx
Original post by Shad4w
There's videos? Mind linking me to some?

It all depends whether your school has paid for the resources? Prechewed Politics is amazing and I would recommend it to any school and it's done wonders for my exams. Goes super in depth so if you haven't got it then bring it up to your teachers! I think my teacher said it was pretty cheap and really good value because you get videos which cover the whole spec, plus reports that go over the for and against and topics with current examples. There's also quizzes and stuff for keywords - really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student 1305
This is sooo risky but I've noticed is that since 2009, the topics have always been in sets (Constitution and Parliament / Judiciary and Pm&Cabinet). So: if Constitution is a source then Parliament is an essay question and vice versa. Same applies to Judiciary and Pm&Cabinet It hasn't changed since the 2009 but from the way they screwed us over for Unit 1, I wouldn't be shocked if they changed the layout of Unit 2 completely. Don't rely on this pattern as it is best to revise at least 3 topics but its something to keep in the back of your mind :smile: hope this helped xx

I doubt they do it but you never know as its the last year of the spec
Original post by Student 1305

What about before 2009
Did they appear in the same section?
Yeah exactly, they might just switch things around
Original post by afrosenju
I doubt they do it but you never know as its the last year of the spec
This spec only came out in 2008 so the first examination was 2009 - so its been the pattern since the start :smile:
Original post by xxvine
What about before 2009
Did they appear in the same section?
Hi, i wasn't reading the thread for unit 1 but am happy to see so many people also had a nightmare with the democ&participation essay lol, i felt a bit stupid for not assuming they'd mention the EU somewhere but really? That question was awful was probably the most vague essay answer I've ever done :frown: good the pressure groups questions were nice though.
Anyway,
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I thought because of the upcoming presidential election they'd definitely ask the classic 'Is the UK PM now effectively a president/to what extent have PM's become presidential' but i saw today that that was a 40 marker last year?
Does anyone think theres a high chance they'll ask a variation of that question or no?
Original post by ssmith17
Hi, i wasn't reading the thread for unit 1 but am happy to see so many people also had a nightmare with the democ&participation essay lol, i felt a bit stupid for not assuming they'd mention the EU somewhere but really? That question was awful was probably the most vague essay answer I've ever done :frown: good the pressure groups questions were nice though.
Anyway,
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I thought because of the upcoming presidential election they'd definitely ask the classic 'Is the UK PM now effectively a president/to what extent have PM's become presidential' but i saw today that that was a 40 marker last year?
Does anyone think theres a high chance they'll ask a variation of that question or no?

highly doubt tbh
Does anyone here give themselves any time to read the source, or do you just go straight into it and read as you're writing?
Anyway,

Doubtful....the not other variation would be about power which is a prediction my teacher suggested but someone else suggested it might be how relevant is the cabinet today which would be a **** question cause you'd need to know Cameron's cabinet in some form of detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite a vague question, but how do people think they'll put the EU into any unit 2 essay questions/what other current events MUST we know about incase theres whole essays on them? The VERY specific past essay q's on the coalition government scare me, i would've done so badly in those

Posted from TSR Mobile

source about final veto? AFAIK LC can only veto first recommendation, no powers whatsoever to veto second

and with supreme court justices afaik he has no power at all in the process
Original post by mollyadtr
Doubtful....the not other variation would be about power which is a prediction my teacher suggested but someone else suggested it might be how relevant is the cabinet today which would be a **** question cause you'd need to know Cameron's cabinet in some form of detail

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you, that also kind of answers my question i just posted
Quite a vague question, but how do people think they'll put the EU into any unit 2 essay questions/what other current events MUST we know about incase theres whole essays on them? The VERY specific past essay q's on the coalition government scare me, i would've done so badly in those

Yeah I'm worried where they'll put it, where has sovereignty gone which includes the eu was asked last year so it's doubtful...we were thinking an essay question on federal constitution but we're unsure if it could actually be an essay....
The eu might simplest just be mentioned in the source and you have to answer questions about it but I don't think there's a way to tell anymore...
I thought for judiciary they might ask something about echr/ a British bill of rights as that's what Cameron wants and it's part of the argument about the right referendum

Posted from TSR Mobile

the only way they can put in the EU is in the constitution IMO with a sovereignty question

as ive said multiple times its highly unlikely and I think you should focus on other things if you're short on time to revise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending