The Student Room Group

German exam

Ive done a few practice papers on higher and have got A and A* but my teacher wants to put me down on a foundation paper where I will get a C grade or below. What shall I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by snk321
Ive done a few practice papers on higher and have got A and A* but my teacher wants to put me down on a foundation paper where I will get a C grade or below. What shall I do?

Dont limit yourself, I would do German higher because its not too big of a step from Foundation.
Reply 2
Original post by Obnox
Dont limit yourself, I would do German higher because its not too big of a step from Foundation.

This is what my teacher said"I will be putting you in the foundation as previously discussed as I am still worried that there is too much risk on the higher paper even though you have done well at home. You will still get a B overall if your coursework does come up to scratch as we hope and you do well in the foundation papers and only drop a few marks,"

The thing is my coursework is not up to scratch and i really want to do the higher but i feel like he is constricting me.
I used to get E's in both of my German mocks however, on the real thing, i got a C(reading paper) and a B(listening paper)

Prior to this, i wanted to do the foundation papers badly but my teacher still put me on the higher.

I guess she still had faith in me?

So, don't limit yourself, you can do it.
Reply 4
Original post by snk321
This is what my teacher said"I will be putting you in the foundation as previously discussed as I am still worried that there is too much risk on the higher paper even though you have done well at home. You will still get a B overall if your coursework does come up to scratch as we hope and you do well in the foundation papers and only drop a few marks,"

The thing is my coursework is not up to scratch and i really want to do the higher but i feel like he is constricting me.

What did you get out of 120 overall for coursework?
Reply 5
Original post by Obnox
What did you get out of 120 overall for coursework?

I dont know the exact mark out of 120, our schools crap and dont tell us this stuff. All I know is that I got a C, a B another C and an F (coursework i didn't do). I feel overall the grade might be a C but it wont do anything to improve say a D grade. I feel the school are lowering our self esteem and the teacher is making it out that he doesnt understand where im coming from. How hard is it to put me on a higher paper, I mean the lowest I can get on it will hopefully be a B,if he lets me do it.
Original post by snk321

Hmmm.....my teacher was the exact opposite.

My coursework was never up to scratch until i had to re-sit it and got a B overall.

Also, in All my mocks since year 10 to year 11, i was always getting E's on the Higher, however, after speaking to my teacher about switching to do foundation she was still adamant that i do the higher paper despite being predicted and targeted a D as an overall end of year grade.

I think(judging by what you said) you should do the higher.

But what strikes me is how come you have been getting A's/A* at home and underperforming in class? is it time management?
Reply 7
Original post by snk321
I dont know the exact mark out of 120, our schools crap and dont tell us this stuff. All I know is that I got a C, a B another C and an F (coursework i didn't do). I feel overall the grade might be a C but it wont do anything to improve say a D grade. I feel the school are lowering our self esteem and the teacher is making it out that he doesnt understand where im coming from. How hard is it to put me on a higher paper, I mean the lowest I can get on it will hopefully be a B,if he lets me do it.

Seems like a tough situation :frown:, just tell your teacher that you are confident to do the Higher Paper but if he still says no then there is not much you can do, unless you speak to someone higher up idk.
Reply 8
Original post by Blackstarr
Hmmm.....my teacher was the exact opposite.

My coursework was never up to scratch until i had to re-sit it and got a B overall.

Also, in All my mocks since year 10 to year 11, i was always getting E's on the Higher, however, after speaking to my teacher about switching to do foundation she was still adamant that i do the higher paper despite being predicted and targeted a D as an overall end of year grade.

I think(judging by what you said) you should do the higher.

But what strikes me is how come you have been getting A's/A* at home and underperforming in class? is it time management?

To be honest in Year 10 we had a lot of cover teachers and I felt this contributed in myself under achieving as we were just using sites such as Linguascope and This Is Language to play games and let the lesson go by. I blame myself as well as I didnt take an interest in German and felt that it was an opportunity to chill and relax to pay off the hard work I did in core subjects such as Science. I feel more goal driven and motivated to do the higher paper and I just dont take the foundation paper seriously. I NEED As and A* to get into the sixth form Ive been wanting to go to for sooo long. :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Obnox
Seems like a tough situation :frown:, just tell your teacher that you are confident to do the Higher Paper but if he still says no then there is not much you can do, unless you speak to someone higher up idk.

Thanks for the idea, I tagged another, higher teacher in the email but he hasnt replied yet, ive also responded to what he said giving a reasonable arguement :frown: ill just have to wait and see
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Leyak;65536727"]
Original post by snk321
Ive done a few practice papers on higher and have got A and A* but my teacher wants to put me down on a foundation paper where I will get a C grade or below. What shall I do?[/QUOTE
Well your clearly capable of achieving higher than a C grade therefore your teacher should allow you to sit the higher paper. I know in my school at least we can choose what paper to sit.

Wow your lucky! He keeps repeating how we 'discussed' that he'll place me on the foundation paper but I cant refer to any discussions. That's what is annoying me the most.
Reply 11
Original post by snk321
Thanks for the idea, I tagged another, higher teacher in the email but he hasnt replied yet, ive also responded to what he said giving a reasonable arguement :frown: ill just have to wait and see

Well I hope it goes well and good luck tomorrow:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Obnox
Well I hope it goes well and good luck tomorrow:biggrin:

Thankyou :smile:
Original post by snk321
To be honest in Year 10 we had a lot of cover teachers and I felt this contributed in myself under achieving as we were just using sites such as Linguascope and This Is Language to play games and let the lesson go by. I blame myself as well as I didnt take an interest in German and felt that it was an opportunity to chill and relax to pay off the hard work I did in core subjects such as Science. I feel more goal driven and motivated to do the higher paper and I just dont take the foundation paper seriously. I NEED As and A* to get into the sixth form Ive been wanting to go to for sooo long. :frown:

I used linguascope too and agree that its just for fun/games and not really for learning German.

Its never too late do well regardless of whether you will be doing higher or foundation.

Its better to get a C which is a pass than to fail.
Reply 14
I used linguascope too and agree that its just for fun/games and not really for learning German.

Its never too late do well regardless of whether you will be doing higher or foundation.

Its better to get a C which is a pass than to fail.

Yeaa...linguascope is just for fun and games and an excuse for teachers to relax themselves by giving us the computers or laptops. Hopefully everyone doing this paper is successful in reaching their target grades and beyond. :smile: it just really hurts knowing no one is there to support you in terms of staff. Thanks you guys.
Original post by snk321
Yeaa...linguascope is just for fun and games and an excuse for teachers to relax themselves by giving us the computers or laptops. Hopefully everyone doing this paper is successful in reaching their target grades and beyond. :smile: it just really hurts knowing no one is there to support you in terms of staff. Thanks you guys.

Aww, i have definitely been there, don't give up now, you are almost there

i hope you do well.:smile:
Reply 16
Aww, i have definitely been there, don't give up now, you are almost there

i hope you do well.:smile:

Thanks so much, this is why I appreciate the existence of TSR :smile:
Original post by snk321
Thanks so much, this is why I appreciate the existence of TSR :smile:

Same here

:smile:
How did it go in the end?