The Student Room Group

factor formulas

Hi Guys,
in the question below I'm ok using one of the factor formulas using A and B below but struggling to realise the sign of B . is B(-5pi/12) or (5pi/12) either way i still don't get the way the text book dealt with this question which i've attached it blow as well. A good explanation would be much appreciated . thanks guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi Guys,
in the question below I'm ok using one of the factor formulas using A and B below but struggling to realise the sign of B . is B(-5pi/12) or (5pi/12) either way i still don't get the way the text book dealt with this question which i've attached it blow as well. A good explanation would be much appreciated . thanks guys.

DSC_1009.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by anujsr
DSC_1009.jpg

Does it make any difference if you switch around the value of A and B?
Reply 3
Original post by Alen.m
Does it make any difference if you switch around the value of A and B?

YES. But look at the question properly. The bottom part is different from the top. Remember the values of A and B should match the one in the question. Please give me a rep if this helped! Good luck for your exam
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by anujsr
YES. But look at the question properly. The bottom part is different from the top. Remember the values of A and B should match the one in the question. Please give me a rep if this helped! Good luck for your exam

So for the bottom part you take A=5pi/12 and B= pi/12?
Reply 5
Original post by Alen.m
So for the bottom part you take A=5pi/12 and B= pi/12?

Yeah
Reply 6
Original post by anujsr
Yeah

So basically the leading angle will always be A and the second one will always be B?
Reply 7
Original post by Alen.m
So basically the leading angle will always be A and the second one will always be B?

Yes
Reply 8
Original post by Alen.m

You need to be careful sometimes they may say -CosA + Cos B so you must rearrange and make it Cos B - Cos A. I doubt they are going to be that worse at setting. But what you are saying is right. the leading angle is A and the second one is B.

Quick Reply

Latest