The Student Room Group

How hard is AS-Level psychology?

Hi guys,

I wanted to take up psychology as one of my AS-Levels, I wanna persue my studies in Science (Medicine or biomedical) my other subjects are (Bio,chem and eco)
i read through the book and i really did like all of the topics. But i'm not really good in maths (i'm not taking maths for my AS) do you think that would affect me if i pick psychology if i'm bad at math? How much math is there in AS-Level psychology (topic vise) my exam board is Edexcel.
* I've got only 4 months for my exams (is this enough time to learn the whole content?
* Will i be able teach myself few of the chapters in psychology?

Please help !
(edited 7 years ago)
Hardly any- percentage change, increase, decrease, mean, median, mode, simple graphs etc. The hardest maths questions you could ever get would be to draw a histogram or use binomial sign test (very unlikely it will come up in exam).

So no hard core maths (this is AQA btw)
You'll be fine 😊
Reply 2
Oh alright tysm ! would 4 months be enough to learn the whole content for psychology? I'm doing the Edexcel board and the topics are : Social approach, Cognitive approach, Psychodynamic approach , Biological approach and learning approach. (Also i would need to teach myself half of the topics as i'm doing psychology privately)
Original post by Hanna423
Oh alright tysm ! would 4 months be enough to learn the whole content for psychology? I'm doing the Edexcel board and the topics are : Social approach, Cognitive approach, Psychodynamic approach , Biological approach and learning approach. (Also i would need to teach myself half of the topics as i'm doing psychology privately)

You'll have enough time if you put in the effort everyday but takes breaks too! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ihonestlydk
You'll have enough time if you put in the effort everyday but takes breaks too! :smile:

Aw thank you ! i'm just a bit worried about that math content in it. Is there much? :smile:
Aw thank you ! i'm just a bit worried about that math content in it. Is there much? :smile:

Barely any maths questions in it, the 2015 paper I did for PSYA2 only had one question relating to maths.. and it was picking the right correlation graph which was like 2 marks (didn't even need maths).

No I doubt there is alot of math based questions, there might just ask research methods questions more than solving any maths questions.

Besides, if you gain all the other marks that aren't math based then you still have an advantage of getting a high grade, than worrying about a 2-4 marker on a math question. Don't stress yourself.
Reply 7
You have enough time and it's not that hard
Also there is little maths included
I did Edexcel Psychology 3 years ago, and there was next to no maths in AS (other than means and percentages, so nothing too difficult) :smile: I think you can learn the content in 4 months if you apply yourself, and I highly suggest you do because Psychology is a fascinating subject! :biggrin:

If the Edexcel course is the same now as it was when I did it, there's a lot of crossovers between the modules, making it easier to understand and make connections. Plus, there's multiple choice questions in the exams - a rarity for A-Level! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending