The Student Room Group

AQA english language exam 7/6/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keepyourapology
For Question 2, I don't particularly think it's too much of a problem, mainly because the usual question is linking Picture, Heading & Text. So I think it's fine, but worst case scenario, maybe 2 marks?
Question 3, it doesn't matter that you referred to him as a girl.
Question 6, as long as you stuck to whatever you view was, and used public views to support your argument and negated opposing views, I think you'd be good to go! Shows a well rounded argument! Good luck!

Thank you so much!!
Do you know what Question 6 asked for? Was it an article or a letter? Please help me out! I wrote that as a letter too, without a headline!
Original post by Jimbobbybryan
On question 5, I didn't write 'Dear...' at the start and I didn't end with 'Yours Faithfully' or whatever. It was meant to be a letter though. So does anyone know if this is a problem?

Nah, I didn't either, our teacher has talked about it once or twice but never made a big deal out of it - it doesn't specify that you have to include it in the mark scheme so you won't lose marks for it, the only reason to do it is to make your letter feel more "official", but honestly I doubt it would gain you any marks whatsoever.
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Nah, I didn't either, our teacher has talked about it once or twice but never made a big deal out of it - it doesn't specify that you have to include it in the mark scheme so you won't lose marks for it, the only reason to do it is to make your letter feel more "official", but honestly I doubt it would gain you any marks whatsoever.

Cheers, I hope your right :smile:

This.
Original post by babymarima
How did everyone find it?

I found that my time keeping f*cked up completely
I had enough time to finish question 6, but I found that I still didn't write enough (one side and a paragraph)
Also question 4 I accidentally analysed 'shoots' in the Bear Grylls source, which I'm not sure is allowed because it was in the sub-headline? (QUESTION 4 GUYS, THE LANGUAGE COMPARISON ONE, NOT QUESTION 2)

And question 3 is always a misery :'(

For question 3 i picked out: Emotive language, Imperatives, Noun Phrases, Statistics
Original post by booklover13

No, they change every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For question 2, apparently you needed to talk about the language in the subheadline as well? Is this true? Any idea if you'll lose marks for not doing so?

I didn't realize that you ever needed to talk about the subheadline, so I just talked about the headline and picture, and linked them to the text.
Wow, that was my original idea :O

I kind of did the same thing though but talked about my drama exam so it was a mixture and phsyical and... Yeah not physical lol.
Original post by Dragon5555
It wasnt a letter...it said write an article for a newspaper who the heck worked out letter lol

Wait, which one wasn't a letter?

Because I remember Q5 to be the letter and Q6 to be the article...?
Do you think the examiners actually use the mark scheme in deciding marks for every answer, or is it likely that the marks are awarded subjectively?
[video="youtube;Q3x89ISO9NA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3x89ISO9NA[/video]

Nice one Bruff you failed us all. Unsubbed and refunding all my books that I purchased from you.

Spoiler

Original post by blueribbons99
No, they change every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think so, by around 1 or 2 marks... I heard that this year, the grade boundaries are going to be around 40 for a C and 45 for a B. I'm not really sure about the A and A*..

But do you know the grade boundaries for the Language and Literature coursework this year??
I got 73/80 in control assessment and u need 72 for a*. If I got 56 in the exam ( 1 off a*)would I still get a* overall?
question 5 isn't a letter, it's an article; they ask you to write something to feature in the newspaper so it wouldn't be a letter that they ask for

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for bursting your Bubble, but If you don't write a letter you're not answering part of the question, thus losing part of the marks. The question asked to Write a letter for your article or something like that

Original post by surina16
Lmao the examiner's report for November 2015 said that only 2% of students got above band 2 for question 4 :lol:

It'll probably be the same this year, that question was hard asf.
Original post by fayecrystalsmith
Did anyone else write that the Bear Grylls article was humorous?
I really think I've screwed up. For the headline I wrote that "Grylls grilled" is a play on words? and I wrote that its humorous, like the issue the article is referring to.
Then I said that the sub heading was a long sentence, and was sort of unnecessary -.-, therefore being effective as it links in with the whole unnecessary long winded issue the article is referring to.

I mentioned that the article was humorous too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hollie.jones1825
question 5 isn't a letter, it's an article; they ask you to write something to feature in the newspaper so it wouldn't be a letter that they ask for

I'm no examiner, but they would never ask you to write 2 articles of the same format. They're testing your language skills.
Original post by Bulletzone
Sorry for bursting your Bubble, but If you don't write a letter you're not answering part of the question, thus losing part of the marks. The question asked to Write a letter for your article or something like that

It'll probably be the same this year, that question was hard asf.

Lol I didn't do the Dear Sir/Madam bit either because even though I knew it was a letter, I got confused because I thought I would have to do a letter intro and all that (like explaining it was my entry for the newspaper) and just thought it would all get messy :biggrin:

Strangely enough, I think I did better in questions 2, 3 and 4 than the other questions which seems to be the opposite of what everyone else felt :s-smilie: :lol:
Reply 279
Which Anthology text came in the english paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending