The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student 1305
a recent one is the 'Riot Compensation Act 2016

Is it on the road to success? Or has it been passed or beaten down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Not that I know of...the only one we need to know is Westminster model and what bicameralism is in case they use that wording in the question or a source

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are the argument that parliament does carry out its functions?
Is it on the road to success? Or has it been passed or beaten down

Posted from TSR Mobile

fyi if its an Act it's already passed and received royal assent :P

if its a Bill its still in Parliament
Original post by popcornjpg
fyi if its an Act it's already passed and received royal assent :P

if its a Bill its still in Parliament

Oh **** I didn't even realise it said act my bad, it's funny how it hasn't been mentioned much on politics news accounts,..private member bills don't seem to get much attention 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
What are the argument that parliament does carry out its functions?

Yo just look at my parliament PowerPoint if you've got it it's got it all on there id send pictures but I ain't on my laptop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh **** I didn't even realise it said act my bad, it's funny how it hasn't been mentioned much on politics news accounts,..private member bills don't seem to get much attention 😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. It's one of the limitations of backbench MPs, really. These bills get very little time to debate, and are almost entirely dependent on government support, linking to how much attention they get, which is pretty limited. Most don't get past the first reading, if I'm correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh the referendum is covering up most of the bills going through Parliament, get much more views I imagine

like the snooper's charter is going through and no one seems to care, which pisses me off. wrote to my MP about it three times, just been ignored.

****ing theresa may can eat ****
I wonder if there paper will be easier than Monday's
tbh the referendum is covering up most of the bills going through Parliament, get much more views I imagine

like the snooper's charter is going through and no one seems to care, which pisses me off. wrote to my MP about it three times, just been ignored.

****ing theresa may can eat ****

When is it going through?
Original post by King Geedorah
Anyone have a recent example of a Private Members' Bill?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2012 Live Music Act which made it easier for smaller venues to become licensed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
When is it going through?

it already passed committee stage, so report stage. ****ing ******** really. Labour is of course supporting it, because they're just as authoritarian as the Tories.

pisses me off that besides the Lib Dems and SNP, there is no party in the Commons that values civil liberties.

I hope the Lords make some decent amendments and maybe even delay the Bill
Original post by UKStudent17
Yeah. It's one of the limitations of backbench MPs, really. These bills get very little time to debate, and are almost entirely dependent on government support, linking to how much attention they get, which is pretty limited. Most don't get past the first reading, if I'm correct.

I didn't think of it as adding it to back bench MPs argument so cheers for that 😁and you are most certainly right

Posted from TSR Mobile
it already passed committee stage, so report stage. ****ing ******** really. Labour is of course supporting it, because they're just as authoritarian as the Tories.

pisses me off that besides the Lib Dems and SNP, there is no party in the Commons that values civil liberties.

Wait s this the thing they're talking about looking at everyone's internet history for a year for 'terror reasons' or am I thinking about the wrong thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies if its already been said but, has anyone got any advice on structuring the 40 mark/25 mark questions?
Original post by Foji
Guys how would you answer 'how important is cabinet today' fml

I would say on the one hand, there is the growth in the 'downing street machine' which is basically the growth in political advisors, thinktanks an other recourses that basically make the function of the cabinet which is to decide on policy less important. Also, the idea that the use of 'inner cabinets' eg Blair only consulting a minority of the cabinet on certain policies such as iraq have made the cabinet more useless as a whole and defeated the idea of collective responsibility.
Also the PM has extensive control over it eg deciding what they are going to talk about and appointing certain ministers for their own benefit highlights its mere use for increasing authority rather than decision making.

However you could then argue firstly its important in representing all ideas eg the influence or pro europe and euroskeptics eg gove and johnson. Also the fact that it was helpful in consensus building and solving disputes for the recent coalition so that function is important.

But overall i would probs argue that it has recently become more important as cameron has a smaller majoriry and the prev coalition, therefore the cabinet was important in solving disputes, however previously blair and thatcher did not approach it as important eg the inner cabinets and their large majoirties meant the cabinet wasnt as representative. so therefore yes it has become more important as the years have gone on
Wait s this the thing they're talking about looking at everyone's internet history for a year for 'terror reasons' or am I thinking about the wrong thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, but it covers all communications data.

the Bill itself isn't particularly concerning, what the Bill does however do is set a precedent. from 2000 onwards both Labour and the Tories have consistently encroached civil liberties further and further. if they continue the possibility of authoritarian government is really not so impossible.
I didn't think of it as adding it to back bench MPs argument so cheers for that 😁and you are most certainly right

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! I'm sort of hoping it might come up now. I'm crossing my fingers that we get some damn good questions.
To clarify Blair went to Iraq without consenting parliament?
yes, but it covers all communications data.

the Bill itself isn't particularly concerning, what the Bill does however do is set a precedent. from 2000 onwards both Labour and the Tories have consistently encroached civil liberties further and further. if they continue the possibility of authoritarian government is really not so impossible.

That honestly reminds me of big brother, it's scary to think they're trying to control us and keep tabs on us even more, one day I hope society will rise up and take a stand on issues such as this as it can't lead to anything good for our rights. It's a complete breach on personal data/information
Yeah the foi act was introduced but this is beyond that

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I've just accepted the reality that this will be passed at some point. I live under the impression that intelligence services and the government do this already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending