The Student Room Group

Should I meet somebody in real life after talking online?

So I've been posting and browsing on a forum for a few months now, and I've talked a fair amount with somebody on that forum (we'll call him Tim to make it easy). Now I like Tim - we have shared interests, I really like the content he produces for the forum, and I just think he's cool

I'm visiting Tim's area in a few months (for other reasons) and when I mentioned this to him, he asked if we'd like to meet up. Now I'm certain he's not a paedophile or anything (there are pictures on the forum proving his identity) so that's not a concern for me. I do want to meet up with Tim, but I am aware that he is essentially a stranger on the internet that I can't fully trust. Also, I am a very shy, introverted and awkward person, and I'm worried that it will be very awkward hanging out and I will ruin whatever friendship we do have. If we were to hang out, it would be in a public place and doing an activity, but I'm still not sure

Any advice would be appreciated! :smile:
Original post by A2Psychology
So I've been posting and browsing on a forum for a few months now, and I've talked a fair amount with somebody on that forum (we'll call him Tim to make it easy). Now I like Tim - we have shared interests, I really like the content he produces for the forum, and I just think he's cool

I'm visiting Tim's area in a few months (for other reasons) and when I mentioned this to him, he asked if we'd like to meet up. Now I'm certain he's not a paedophile or anything (there are pictures on the forum proving his identity) so that's not a concern for me. I do want to meet up with Tim, but I am aware that he is essentially a stranger on the internet that I can't fully trust. Also, I am a very shy, introverted and awkward person, and I'm worried that it will be very awkward hanging out and I will ruin whatever friendship we do have. If we were to hang out, it would be in a public place and doing an activity, but I'm still not sure

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

i think if you do meet up, do so in a public place.
i think it will be awkward at first but it will soon be normal,
ive met someone ive spoken to on twitter in person and it was only awkward for like 30 seconds, then it was the best thing ever.
Reply 3

Is it possible you could meet him with another friend of yours? Might make things less awkward, and also would make sure you're totally safe!:smile:
I would never do it
Be cautious and keep your wits about you. Maybe take someone with you, a friend or something so you're not alone.
Public place and talk to him on skype a bit before..
go for it! Just make sure it's a public place so you can't get into any sort of trouble.
Have fun and go somewhere you both like with good atmosphere so it's less awkward
Tbh.

> Ask for a picture before you meet
> Make Tim go somewhere public
> Tell Tim to lift his hand in the air and wave alone
> and hide somewhere so you can identify him unnoticed
> If he is not who he says he is you can leg it and text him saying 'everyday is april fools, I didn't come'.

Quick Reply

Latest