The Student Room Group

Good enough grades to do A level science?

If you get an A in core science but a B in additional is this good enough to go on to do A level biology and Chemisty. I have my GCSEs for sciences on Friday onwards but have crammed and therefore feel I will get a lower grade than I could have if I prepared more. I also made silly mistakes on my ISA which meant I got a B, two marks off and A whereas last year I got an A*.
It depends on the requirements of your college/sixth form :smile:
I got BB and have really struggled with biology and chemistry A level. My school has upped the requirements to BA now, but I think the main jump isn't in terms of knowledge it's just grade boundaries. Being used to getting around the 20/60 mark for a B at GCSE, whearas thats a solid U at A level :angry:
Reply 3
It's dependant on your sixth form/college.

I got those grades for core and additional and do Physics so it's possible. :yep:
I'd say so, I got a B in GCSE biology and carried it on to A level. I think everyone regardless of the grade they got at GCSE will find A level science subjects tricky at some point, including myself. If you think you will be able to deal with the workload, go ahead! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Leviathan1741
It depends on the requirements of your college/sixth form :smile:

The requirement is a B in all three sciences but I'm thinking more of being able to cope?
Reply 6
Original post by aamirac
It's dependant on your sixth form/college.

I got those grades for core ad additional and do Physics so it's possible. :yep:

How hard was it? Like the jump?
Reply 7
Original post by ImagineCats
I got BB and have really struggled with biology and chemistry A level. My school has upped the requirements to BA now, but I think the main jump isn't in terms of knowledge it's just grade boundaries. Being used to getting around the 20/60 mark for a B at GCSE, whearas thats a solid U at A level :angry:

Oh my god 😭😭😭😭
Original post by Lea170
The requirement is a B in all three sciences but I'm thinking more of being able to cope?

You'll be able to cope IF you work hard and effectively, I got Cs in the sciences and maths at gcse but got ABB at a-level (I think may of been higher can't remember aha) in the sciences and now I'm going into second year theoretical physics at a Russell group after the summer (only mention rg as a lot of people seen to care about it on tsr)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Lea170
How hard was it? Like the jump?

It was quite a big jump. At first I was like "woaaahh", but then you get into your routine and it eases throughout the year.
Reply 10
Original post by jayokay
I'd say so, I got a B in GCSE biology and carried it on to A level. I think everyone regardless of the grade they got at GCSE will find A level science subjects tricky at some point, including myself. If you think you will be able to deal with the workload, go ahead! :smile:

How different is it from GCSE? And do you think there's any chance of being able to achieve an A by working really hard despite only being able to achieve a B at GCSE?
Reply 11
Original post by madmadmax321
You'll be able to cope IF you work hard and effectively, I got Cs in the sciences and maths at gcse but got ABB at a-level (I think may of been higher can't remember aha) in the sciences and now I'm going into second year theoretical physics at a Russell group after the summer (only mention rg as a lot of people seen to care about it on tsr)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think that by putting in lots of hard work you can achieve better grades despite getting lower at GCSE? Sorry, I feel I'm having a moment of Crisis and I'm getting extremely stressed as I keep thinking if I achieve a B at GCSE I'll struggle so much at A level that I'll end up failing 😭
Original post by Lea170
How different is it from GCSE? And do you think there's any chance of being able to achieve an A by working really hard despite only being able to achieve a B at GCSE?

well there is a lot more detailed information to remember, which was expected. I do think you can achieve an A, it just depends on your work ethic and how much work you put in to get there :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by aamirac
It was quite a big jump. At first I was like "woaaahh", but then you get into your routine and it eases throughout the year.

Did you find it any easier doing fewer subjects than at GCSE even though the subjects at A level contain a lot more content and are alot harder?
Original post by Lea170
Did you find it any easier doing fewer subjects than at GCSE even though the subjects at A level contain a lot more content and are alot harder?

A Levels will always be hard. :redface:
In all honesty, I haven't really ever though about my GCSE years compared to now. There's no time for that. :redface:
Original post by Lea170
So you think that by putting in lots of hard work you can achieve better grades despite getting lower at GCSE? Sorry, I feel I'm having a moment of Crisis and I'm getting extremely stressed as I keep thinking if I achieve a B at GCSE I'll struggle so much at A level that I'll end up failing 😭

Not hard work but effective work, you need to find the best way of revising for you (I didn't know this at gcse but started to develop it at a-level and it really helped)

It doesn't matter how much time you put in if it's the wrong way to study for you (though you still need to put in a fair amount of time for science and maths alevels anyway as the more questions you do the more you can learn where your weak areas are and fix them)

You can do it if you find the right way to work and put in the right amount of time for you in, clearly something is going wrong at gcse as you are only getting B grades but if you're willing to invest the time in to find out where the problems lie you (and anyone) can do science alevels. Im a great example of this, I was told by my sixform I'd never study anything mathematical at uni but now I've found the way to work that works for me I get solid firsts this semester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by madmadmax321
Not hard work but effective work, you need to find the best way of revising for you (I didn't know this at gcse but started to develop it at a-level and it really helped)

It doesn't matter how much time you put in if it's the wrong way to study for you (though you still need to put in a fair amount of time for science and maths alevels anyway as the more questions you do the more you can learn where your weak areas are and fix them)

You can do it if you find the right way to work and put in the right amount of time for you in, clearly something is going wrong at gcse as you are only getting B grades but if you're willing to invest the time in to find out where the problems lie you (and anyone) can do science alevels. Im a great example of this, I was told by my sixform I'd never study anything mathematical at uni but now I've found the way to work that works for me I get solid firsts this semester

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely understand what you're saying as I need to find the right way to revise for myself. I think my problem is cramming for this year that's one reason I believe I'm going to get a B. With more time I believe if I spaced it out I could of got an A like I did in core so over the summer I want to find out what type of learner I am so I can revise effectively and to the best of my ability at a level. Thank you ☺️
Reply 17
Original post by aamirac
A Levels will always be hard. :redface:
In all honesty, I haven't really ever though about my GCSE years compared to now. There's no time for that. :redface:

I have lots of extremely hard work to look forward to I guess 😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest