The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

if f(x)=f(2a-x) symmetry in line x=a. is pretty useful
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I said the start of the question! Thanks for trying to help but please avoid spoiling the rest of the Q.

Note that cos(θ)=cos(4θ)cos(\theta)=cos(4\theta).
Original post by gasfxekl
Note that cos(θ)=cos(4θ)cos(\theta)=cos(4\theta).

Why u break LaTeX? Trying to hack TSR with unparsable code?!
Original post by EnglishMuon
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465309844.430248.jpg
Would you be able to check my reasoning for the first part of q4? I believe my reasoning is correct but slightly different to the ms.
@jjsnyder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sorry for the late reply, my school blocks TSR for some reason so I'm rarely on it, but your explanation seems sound to me. How did the mock go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
I've officially done all my mocks and most the questions from step 2 and 3 past papers that I'd pick. Should I go back through the 2 and 3 papers and try and find some more questions I can attempt or should I do some step 1 (bearing in mind my offer is in 2 and 3)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
if f(x)=f(2a-x) symmetry in line x=a. is pretty useful

The most intuitive is that if f(a+x) = f(a-x) then we have symmetry in line x=a then you substitute a-x for your result which is less intuitive.
I know you mentioned it so many times but where can I find mark schemes for steps ?
Original post by Vesniep
The most intuitive is that if f(a+x) = f(a-x) then we have symmetry in line x=a then you substitute a-x for your result which is less intuitive.

i figured it out after playing around with q1 II 2011 and then proved a general case.tke a point x on rhs and the rest is straight forward. interestingly i recall this fact on a mat question.
Why do they use a=y for question 5(ii), step 1 2014?
Original post by Glavien
Why do they use a=y for question 5(ii), step 1 2014?

Think about how letting a=y lets you use part (i)
Original post by Alex_Aits

Ello.
Are iA exams over?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ello.
Are iA exams over?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed they are... Had too much fun this year to have done particularly well but I'm not particularly bothered! Since you're on here I take it you have reapplied?
Indeed they are... Had too much fun this year to have done particularly well but I'm not particularly bothered! Since you're on here I take it you have reapplied?

Indeed, i have an offer for this year too lol. Need S,1 (shudnt be too bad with another year of maths, not step but any hard maths has helped alot) and A* in AFM aswell as that I am resitting physics for the A*. So A*A* S,1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed, i have an offer for this year too lol. Need S,1 (shudnt be too bad with another year of maths, not step but any hard maths has helped alot) and A* in AFM aswell as that I am resitting physics for the A*. So A*A* S,1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's still a pretty tough offer regardless of how much time preparing, which college? How are you feeling for it?
That's still a pretty tough offer regardless of how much time preparing, which college? How are you feeling for it?

Yeh considering i didnt start preparing for it until april(well a levels n stuff needed to learn S3 in may and stuff along with relearninf M5 etc) step was a few questions a week from feb time then i started full on in mid may.
I am feeling stretched for the physics A*, AFM is looking weird since i think i can get 95-100 on M4-5 but passing S4,D1/2 will be tough since I have barely touched the modules.
STEP is weirdly what I most confident in, I am feeling good in meeting S,1. I spent alot of time doing olympiads and stuff which i think is mostly responsible for finding alot of the step stuff much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh considering i didnt start preparing for it until april(well a levels n stuff needed to learn S3 in may and stuff along with relearninf M5 etc) step was a few questions a week from feb time then i started full on in mid may.
I am feeling stretched for the physics A*, AFM is looking weird since i think i can get 95-100 on M4-5 but passing S4,D1/2 will be tough since I have barely touched the modules.
STEP is weirdly what I most confident in, I am feeling good in meeting S,1. I spent alot of time doing olympiads and stuff which i think is mostly responsible for finding alot of the step stuff much easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion, and from what I've gathered from speaking to my DoS(es), you'd likely be taken in with S,1 even if you mess up the A level stuff. It's STEP they're most interested in - of course, try to meet the A level requirements, but if you get S,1 I doubt they'd turn you away or at least another college should take you out of the pool.
In my opinion, and from what I've gathered from speaking to my DoS(es), you'd likely be taken in with S,1 even if you mess up the A level stuff. It's STEP they're most interested in - of course, try to meet the A level requirements, but if you get S,1 I doubt they'd turn you away or at least another college should take you out of the pool.

Yep, i thought so, hoping I don't mess up too bad as AFM is either an A* or a B(guaranteed 3 A* modules but needed enough for 480/600 so even if i meet the former the latter is needed for the A) also the college is Homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, i thought so, hoping I don't mess up too bad as AFM is either an A* or a B(guaranteed 3 A* modules but needed enough for 480/600 so even if i meet the former the latter is needed for the A) also the college is Homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I remember how it works, weird system. Well, best of luck, I'll keep track on here to see how it goes :smile:
Yeah, I remember how it works, weird system. Well, best of luck, I'll keep track on here to see how it goes :smile:

cheers, best of luck with IA results.

Do you have to recognise that by looking at the first part or is there some sort of logic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest