The Student Room Group

Failed my GCSE English Language.

Hi guys,

As you all know we had a GCSE English language exam (foundation one). I was meant to get a C this time. I needed 61 points as I didn't do well on my controlled assessments (get only 37 marks total). The total marks on the exam was 80. I ran out of time, because I spent too much time on question 5 and 6 and did only questions 1,4,5,6 at the end. I did them quite well though. I missed question 2,3 that are worth 20 marks. But still even if I get full marks for those questions I have done it the marks only add up to 60 in total (still 1 away) but it is very unlikely that I'll get full marks.

I'd ask you guys if I could resit the exam in November even though this is my last of IT Extended Diploma level 3 and I am planning to go to Uni next year. I am 19.

If not, is it stil possible to get into the university I have applied to and received an offer? They require Grade C in GCSE English and MMM (1380 BTEC points equivalent to 240 UCAS points). I almost got the MMM but the problem is with my GCSE English which I have surely failed today.

The course at Uni I have applied to is Computer Studies with Foundation year. As I said before the entry requirements are:

Grade C in Mathematics and English.

Are functional skills acceptable? Yes

and MMM in BTEC. I already have C in Maths, it is just the English that really worries me. It says the functional skills are acceptable. I have passed it last year but not quite sure if it will be enough as they clearly stated at UCAS Track that they require Grade C in GCSE English.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
Hi guys,

As you all know we had a GCSE English language exam (foundation one). I was meant to get a C this time. I needed 61 points as I didn't do well on my controlled assessments (get only 37 marks total). The total marks on the exam was 80. I ran out of time, because I spent too much time on question 5 and 6 and did only questions 1,4,5,6 at the end. I did them quite well though. I missed question 2,3 that are worth 20 marks. But still even if I get full marks for those questions I have done it the marks only add up to 60 in total (still 1 away) but it is very unlikely that I'll get full marks.

I'd ask you guys if I could resit the exam in November even though this is my last of IT Extended Diploma level 3 and I am planning to go to Uni next year. I am 19.

If not, is it stil possible to get into the university I have applied to and received an offer? They require Grade C in GCSE English and MMM (1380 BTEC points equivalent to 240 UCAS points). I almost got the MMM but the problem is with my GCSE English which I have surely failed today.

The course at Uni I have applied to is Computer Studies with Foundation year. As I said before the entry requirements are:

and MMM in BTEC. I already have C in Maths, it is just the English that really worries me. It says the functional skills are acceptable. I have passed it last year but not quite sure if it will be enough as they clearly stated at UCAS Track that they require Grade C in GCSE English.

Universities are able to relax their entry requirements if you marginally miss out on them as long as they feel you are suitable for the course. As long as you have achieved Functional Skills Level 2 in English, then they will accept you as the Uni have said that they accept Functional Skills as an alternative to GCSE. You will be able to retake the GCSE in November at a college but I advise you to take it this year, because this is the last year that you will be able to retake GCSE under the current specification. The English GCSE is changing and it is going to be harder to achieve a C (Grade 4/5 under the new system) in the new exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Powersymphonia
Universities are able to relax their entry requirements if you marginally miss out on them as long as they feel you are suitable for the course. As long as you have achieved Functional Skills Level 2 in English, then they will accept you as the Uni have said that they accept Functional Skills as an alternative to GCSE. You will be able to retake the GCSE in November at a college but I advise you to take it this year, because this is the last year that you will be able to retake GCSE under the current specification. The English GCSE is changing and it is going to be harder to achieve a C (Grade 4/5 under the new system) in the new exam.

It would be great if I could resit the exam this year in November. I just wonder if I will have to pay for it? As my level 3 programme ends in just few weeks.
Original post by n0stie
It would be great if I could resit the exam this year in November. I just wonder if I will have to pay for it? As my level 3 programme ends in just few weeks.

If you study English at a college part time as an evening class or something like that, the college will pay your exam fees. If you just want to do the exam, then you need to pay an exam registration fee which I think is £25 per exam paper. You would also need to register as an external candidate and ask a local college or school to allow you to sit the exam on their premises.
Original post by n0stie
Hi guys,

I don't think you have to worry yet. You can't do anything about your exam, so just forget about it.

Universities are either strict or flexible when it comes to grades. For example if you were 5 marks of a C, they might let you in. But if you were a long way off a C, they might say no. However, if you already have functional skills that is an alternative to you obtaining a C, then you should be alright. However, I'd advise you go on the university's website, rather than UCAS as sometimes they can be outdated.

You can't take your GCSE English exams in November unless you are doing Cambridge, IGCSE or the other ones (I think). But for the normal GCSEs, all of them are linear to be taken at the end of the two year study in May/June. So find out for definite if you can actually retake in November.

Unfortunately like everyone taking exams, it is just a waiting game until August. So I would say, just let it be and enjoy your summer if you have finished your studies now.

It's not the end of the world. I got an F at GCSE Maths after retrying about 4-6 times... And I'm at a UK top 40 uni so I don't think you'll be at a major disadvantage with a D in English. Although, essay writing is very important at uni, no matter what degree you are reading at uni.

All the best!
Reply 5
Thanks guys for suggestions. Appreciate it.

I guess I'll call my Uni after the results day. Will have to send the results to them anyway. Will see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending