The Student Room Group

AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Scroll to see replies

what was the answer to the first question, I wrote dipeptidase
Original post by WhatIsSleep
ayy me too
tbh i was like why am i being asked this?

Hmmm I wrote stomata per mm^3

Hopefully the markscheme will be fairly lenient
Original post by Namita Gurung
Hmmm I wrote stomata per mm^3

Hopefully the markscheme will be fairly lenient

You mean mm^2 right? Not volume?

I put mm^2 just because it was an optical microscope and seemed like there would be too many stomata in 1 cm^2
Original post by neon_reaper
You mean mm^2 right? Not volume?

I put mm^2 just because it was an optical microscope and seemed like there would be too many stomata in 1 cm^2

:lol: oops I meant to write down mm^2

Same that's what I thought as well. Glad someone else wrote down stomata per mm^2 :h:
Original post by WhatIsSleep
ayy me too
tbh i was like why am i being asked this?

that was my reaction too but doesnt the microscope produce a 2d image in this case so wouldnt it be cm2?
Original post by koolgurl14
anyone done a mark scheme?

personally i think its hard to make an unfficial mark scheme for biology because where as other subjects like maths and chemistry there are set answers there can be so many answers in biology especially with them "suggest" questions where as we would just say our answer or may be the most common answer the official mark cheme markers will probly accept a range of answers as long as they are valid
Original post by georgia0319
I put micrometers as it was being viewed under an optical microscope?

same but then in brackets i put per nano meter so im annoyed do you think ill still get the mark
Original post by MMMSS
yeah i got 1:0.275

Same👍🏻
Original post by smilj012.206
I put number of stomato per cm3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put number of stomata per mm2
Original post by Enderbat1999
same but then in brackets i put per nano meter so im annoyed do you think ill still get the mark

Seeing as you put 2 different answers i highly doubt it.
Original post by zigocarn
What did you guys write about the question why the scientists drew the conclusion, it was about HIV and natural selection.

I put that if it was because of natural selection this gene would be more likely to exist in places like Africa where HIV is more widespread instead of Europe
Original post by tajtsracc
I put micrometre :|

Each stoma is about 10 um in length. Not sure if we're supposed to know this as it is quite abstract.
Pretty sure it's cm squared because it has a higher precision than mm squared and m squared is impractical
What did you guys put for the mean species richness and oxygen dissociation curve?
Original post by Splaffie
Pretty sure it's cm squared because it has a higher precision than mm squared and m squared is impractical

How are centimetres more precise than millimeters when millimeters is 10^-3 and centimetres 10^-2?
Original post by CrazyFool229
How are centimetres more precise than millimeters when millimeters is 10^-3 and centimetres 10^-2?

A larger measurement gives a more accurate value so it has higher peecision
A larger measurement gives a more accurate value so it has higher peecision

But taking a larger measurement (which lowers the percentage uncertainty of a measurement) is different to using a larger unit.

Say I had a book that I measured as 10mm using a mm ruler

Converting it to 1cm isn't going to make that measurement anymore accurate.

i.e 1cm is larger than 1mm therefore mm is more accurate.

A cm is 0.01m
A mm is 0.001m
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CrazyFool229
But taking a larger measurement (which lowers the percentage uncertainty of a measurement) is different to using a larger unit.

Say I had a book that I measured as 10mm using a mm ruler

Converting it to 1cm isn't going to make that measurement anymore accurate.

i.e 1cm is larger than 1mm therefore mm is more accurate.

A cm is 0.01m
A mm is 0.001m

Actually using cm^2 is taking a larger measurement because its 100x larger than a mm^2, you're not measuring the size of something you're measuring the frequency in a given space, so cm^2 is absolutely taking a larger measurement
(edited 7 years ago)
Actually using cm^2 is taking a larger measurement because its 100x larger than a mm^2

No it isn't.

If I measured the distance from my house to my neighbour's door as 100cm
and then I measured it again using a millimeter ruler which means the result is 1000mm

They are the SAME size. Taking a measurement using cm doesn't suddenly make the distance between my house and my neighbour's door does it?
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
that was my reaction too but doesnt the microscope produce a 2d image in this case so wouldnt it be cm2?

oh yeah i put cm2
i didn't read the post i replied to properly haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending