The Student Room Group

Is size 8/10 chubby for someone who is 5"3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yes to both the first questions but no I don't have an eating disorder. Not so far anyway and I hope I never develop one! I used to be pretty underweight naturally so now my current weight, although towards the low end of a healthy weight, feels chubby-ish to me comparatively. I have always worried about my weight a bit though; there is just so much pressure on girls/women to be skinny. If you don't know what I mean just look back at some of the previous replies to this thread.

That is why if I have girls I will encourage them to do sports or something competitive to build their self confidence. Yes there are many who say skinny is better. And we skinny af girls in magazines. But I am sure if you read the thread there will be the other side, too, so don't just listen to those saying "you're fat"...
Original post by inhuman
That is why if I have girls I will encourage them to do sports or something competitive to build their self confidence. Yes there are many who say skinny is better. And we skinny af girls in magazines. But I am sure if you read the thread there will be the other side, too, so don't just listen to those saying "you're fat"...

That's probably a good idea. Yes, I know, most of the people replying on here have been really nice and of course I'll try not to listen to the ones saying that. It's just quite difficult not to concentrate on the negative replies in this situation.
Original post by inhuman

Are you a girl or a guy btw?
Are you a girl or a guy btw?

Hence the the sport thing of my possible daughter(s), it's been shown that girls who do that are more confident and better able to ignore those negative things that you say it's hard to ignore.

I am a guy.
Original post by inhuman
Hence the the sport thing of my possible daughter(s), it's been shown that girls who do that are more confident and better able to ignore those negative things that you say it's hard to ignore.

I am a guy.

Fair enough, maybe when I start exercising again I'll start to feel more positive about it all then! :smile:
I am nearly 21 and have put on weight since leaving school. When I was 18 I was a size 4/size 6, 6 and a half stone and had a 22 inch waist. Now I am wearing a mixture of size 6 and size 8 clothes which are getting too small so I'm probably a size 8/size 10 really. I'm about 8 stone and now have measurements of 36-27-34. I've had to take a few gap years due to illness so because of this I've not been able to exercise. I'm planning to go to uni in 2017 and I'm feeling a bit unhappy with my weight now. Any other girls of similar age and height, what size are you? Does that sound chubby or like I need to lose weight?

Don't complain. Your tiny. I'm 5FT11 11STONES!!!! and a size 10-12 with the measurements 34-28-42. So your fine!!!!
Petite girls are sooooooooo innn! :love::lovedup::lovedup2::lips:
Tall girls sadly aren't:frown::redface:
Original post by SophieSmall
It's when despite being slim in size you have a disproportionate amount of body fat and low muscle mass.

That's me lol.
***** u saying i'm overweight?
Don't complain. Your tiny. I'm 5FT11 11STONES!!!! and a size 10-12 with the measurements 34-28-42. So your fine!!!!
Petite girls are sooooooooo innn! :love::lovedup::lovedup2::lips:
Tall girls sadly aren't:frown::redface:

I'm not really trying to complain as such, I've just been a bit worried about it recently because I always used to be so underweight and that feels normal to me so now that I've gained weight, although I'm a healthy weight, I sort of feel chubby for me if you know what I mean. I just wanted to get other people's opinions on which weight/size was better. Yeah, my measurements are actually 36-26-35. I got them slightly wrong in my original post. Thank you, anyway. :h: I'm sure you look amazing too! In my experience, tall girls are in and petite girls aren't so I suppose it just depends on who you know and their personal preferences.
Original post by joey11223
That's me lol.

Aww, I'm sure you're not! :smile:
bitch u saying i'm overweight?

He's not saying that you're overweight; quite the opposite!
Original post by Jebedee
Like I said it depends on height as that makes the biggest difference. A 5'11 girl at size 12 is also fairly slim. I don't date British girls so it isn't really an issue for me.

You're confused m9.
Compare the size differences, before voicing your opinion tyvm
Yes, I did understand what you were saying. I was just trying to make the point to her that, with what she said and then what you said, if she was worried about her weight what you said meant that if anything it was less likely to be a problem. :smile:
Look, this really is going too far now. I tried to be polite to you before because I did ask people's opinions but it is completely ridiculous to describe a size 8 girl of any height as "fat" and your comments could be upsetting to a lot of people. That's not being unfair to men either; it's just setting equal standards for men and women. Being in a relationship with someone based solely on how they look is shallow but if you insist on doing it then if you expect a girl to be very skinny and no doubt pretty as well then it follows that you should be equally good looking.

I didn't say a size 8 at any height, I said a short girl of size 8 is. Did you ask me to placate you or to give my opinion? Seems pointless if you only accept opinions that agree with what you already think.

Who said "based solely on how they look"? The question was regarding a specific physical trait and my answer didn't sway off that topic. I don't see what this has to do with gender inequality, or were you going to refer to the fact that a woman can be attractive with 10% of the effort of a man?

Do you assume I am ugly and out of my depth by only wanting to date under a certain size? I lift 5x a week and do cardio 3x a week so I wouldn't exactly ask of a girl something I don't myself possess.
Original post by Jebedee
I didn't say a size 8 at any height, I said a short girl of size 8 is. Did you ask me to placate you or to give my opinion? Seems pointless if you only accept opinions that agree with what you already think.

Who said "based solely on how they look"? The question was regarding a specific physical trait and my answer didn't sway off that topic. I don't see what this has to do with gender inequality, or were you going to refer to the fact that a woman can be attractive with 10% of the effort of a man?

Do you assume I am ugly and out of my depth by only wanting to date under a certain size? I lift 5x a week and do cardio 3x a week so I wouldn't exactly ask of a girl something I don't myself possess.

When I said "of any height" I meant it in the sense of "no matter how short they were". I never said that you'd said that. If a girl is very short and a size 8 then depending on what she looks like exactly she could be "skinny fat" or slightly chubby but no matter what height someone is (within reason) if they are a size 8 they cannot be "fat". The only sizes below a size 8 in the UK are size 4 (the equivalent to US size 0 which you can only get in shops very occasionally and usually only in petite) and size 6. Sizes in the UK range from size 4 to size 16 before you get to plus size - not that I'm suggesting that someone who was short and a size 16 wouldn't probably be overweight. Also, there is less of a difference between the smaller sizes: there is only one inch difference between a size 4 and a size 6 and between a size 6 and a size 8; between a size 8 and a size 10 and between all the sizes above that there is a 2 inch difference. I asked if people thought I sounded slightly chubby or if I should lose weight cause I would look better skinnier; I know that size 8 is a healthy size and not "fat" though.
Yes, I asked you to give your opinion and I was very polite to you at the start of the thread when you gave your opinion but your later comment "Speak for yourself. If you have to be an adonis just to be able to get a girl that isn't fat. You need to jump ship and search for greener pastures." was just plain insulting. A size 8 is not "fat" and your comments could make a lot of girls really insecure about their weight.

You said "If you have to be an adonis just to be able to get a girl that isn't fat" implying that you thought it was unfair to men that they had to have a very good body to get a girl that was size 4 or size 6 in order not to qualify for your definition of "fat". That is not unfair to men; a girl who was size 4 or size 6 in every shop would be very skinny. If the woman in a relationship has to be very skinny and toned then the man should have to have an equally good body (admittedly not necessarily the six foot five body builder description that shaunnaob gave though). The woman shouldn't have to look much better than the man and the man should equally not have to look much better than the woman. They should be set equal standards. No, I was not going to refer to that because that s not what I said. A woman should not be putting in 10% of the effort of a man but equally well the man should not be putting in 10% of the effort of the woman.

Where exactly did I say you were ugly? What I said was that if you expect your girlfriend to be really skinny then you should put in the same amount of effort as her in order to have an equally good body. If you do then fair enough but you still shouldn't be so insulting to girls who aren't a size 4 or 6 in every shop.
Looking back at the thread, all the girls on here think it's fine but the guys think it is too chubby. :s-smilie:

Guys don't have a clue how women's sizes work...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Guys don't have a clue how women's sizes work...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some guys seem to know how they work but yeah you're right that some don't haha. :tongue: Do you not know how they work then?
Some guys seem to know how they work but yeah you're right that some don't haha. :tongue: Do you not know how they work then?

All I know is bigger number means bigger girl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mmmmmm idk because I'm 5'2, 7 stone exactly, size 4/6 yet I have some chubbaaahhh. Depends on your frame - I'm chubby because I have a small frame
Original post by Andy98
All I know is bigger number means bigger girl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's mainly true but it also depends on if you are bigger due to fat or muscle or a bigger frame/bone structure etc. so it doesn't necessarily mean fatter.

A size 4 is supposed to fit measurements (in inches) of:

Bust: 31

Waist: 24

Hips: 33

A size 6 should fit:

Bust: 32

Waist: 25

Hips: 34

A size 8 should fit:

Bust: 33

Waist: 26

Hips: 35

As you can see, sizes 4 to 8 have a 1 inch difference between them whereas size 8 and size 10 and all the sizes above a size 10 have 2 inches difference between them.

So, a size 10 is supposed to fit:

Bust: 35

Waist: 28

Hips: 37

And you then add 2 inches on to those measurements to get a size 12 and so on... For a bit and then there starts to be an even bigger difference between the sizes.

That's the best guide I can give but the sizes also vary a lot in how big they actually are in reality between shops and even quite often in the same shop to be honest haha.

My measurements are:

Bust: 36

Waist: 26

Hips: 35

I got them slightly wrong in my original post. My waist and hips should fit a size 8 exactly but although my bust should be bigger than a size 8, I've always found that a size 8 fits it exactly as well. When I originally made this thread, I thought I might sometimes need a size 10, hence the title of the thread, but now having gone clothes shopping and tried stuff on I have found that I'm almost always a size 8 and very occasionally a size 6.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending