The Student Room Group

M1 definitions

When the question asks me how i've used the fact that the string is light in my workings how would i answer this?

I'm sure light means the string has no mass....
Reply 1
Could you let us see the question you are referring to? I'm assuming you're talking about a pendulum made up of a massless, inextensible string and a point mass on the end. If you didn't ignore the mass of the string in your equations then you would have to consider the moment of inertia of the string in your equations too - not just that of the mass on the end. I suppose you would also have to consider air resistance from the string as it swings to and fro. Does this help make sense of the question?
Reply 2
Original post by Teenie2
Could you let us see the question you are referring to? I'm assuming you're talking about a pendulum made up of a massless, inextensible string and a point mass on the end. If you didn't ignore the mass of the string in your equations then you would have to consider the moment of inertia of the string in your equations too - not just that of the mass on the end. I suppose you would also have to consider air resistance from the string as it swings to and fro. Does this help make sense of the question?

It's a particle on an inclined plane with a pulley at the top of a slope with another particle hanging of that, that's the kind of string i was referring to however your explanation seems pretty valid..... in any case it's too late for further explaination

Thanks!
Original post by Big white
When the question asks me how i've used the fact that the string is light in my workings how would i answer this?

It means you didn't include the mass of the string in any calculations.
Reply 4
Original post by Big white

"How have you used the fact that the string is light"

If this is a string over a pulley then the normal answer would be : the acceleration of both particles is the same.

But it depends on the question e.g. you may have already been told that the acceleration is the same.
Reply 5
Original post by Shipreck
It means you didn't include the mass of the string in any calculations.

which is what i though....

Original post by notnek
"How have you used the fact that the string is light"

If this is a string over a pulley then the normal answer would be : the acceleration of both particles is the same.

But it depends on the question e.g. you may have already been told that the acceleration is the same.

Ah i see ok thanks, this M1 was a little harder than the previous papers though :/

Quick Reply

Latest