The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tej98
Anyone doing PM and cabinet or Parliament? I'm hoping presidentialism/limits of PMs power or power of HoC comes as 25/40 marker

I'm focusing on both of those, as well as the constitution.

PM & Cabinet: I agree with you; I hope for a question to do with presidentialism or power.

Parliament: I'd like a question on whether the House of Lords should be reformed, or maybe how effective is Parliament in carrying out its functions.

Constitution: My 'backup', but I suppose a question on assessing the advantages/disadvantages of a codified/uncodified constitution would be alright. But it's definitely not one of my favourite topics, but still more appealing than the judiciary, but that's a personal preference.
Any examples of bills that passed quickly and not a lot of scrutiny went into them?
With the constitutional reform that failed the equalising constituencies one would it be right to say this is back on track now?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/12/the-guardian-view-on-changing-constituency-boundaries-unfair-and-undemocratic
Guardian talks about how govt had ignored the committee report last year and is going to push through the reform. Also read somewhere that redrawing had already begun for 2020
Original post by Foji
Evaluate marxist contributions to the family #aqa #loves #us

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! I wish they asked an actual challenging question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise12307
THIS is why we need to lower the bleeding voting age!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know!! They tried to put through lowering the voting age for the eu referendum but I don't know what house refused it but it failed terribly 🙃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UKStudent17
I'm focusing on both of those, as well as the constitution.

PM & Cabinet: I agree with you; I hope for a question to do with presidentialism or power.

Parliament: I'd like a question on whether the House of Lords should be reformed, or maybe how effective is Parliament in carrying out its functions.

Constitution: My 'backup', but I suppose a question on assessing the advantages/disadvantages of a codified/uncodified constitution would be alright. But it's definitely not one of my favourite topics, but still more appealing than the judiciary, but that's a personal preference.

Another option for the constitution would be are the constitutional reforms still Relevant/ are they successes or failures, I'm hoping they don't specifically ask post 2010

Posted from TSR Mobile
How has devolution affected prime ministerial power and affected how democratic the UK is? :smile:
Original post by hw1221
How has devolution affected prime ministerial power and affected how democratic the UK is? :smile:

Asking if it's democratic would be more like a unit 1 question u think...and I guess you could argue devolution has slightly reduced power in general because the pm has less control over their laws and stuff but you could argue that it's gave the pm more power as he is the one giving them more devolution peers like power passed further devolution to Scotland and Wales
But I don't know you could argue it any way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
Another option for the constitution would be are the constitutional reforms still Relevant/ are they successes or failures, I'm hoping they don't specifically ask post 2010

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of things would you write for that one
Original post by mollyadtr
Asking if it's democratic would be more like a unit 1 question u think...and I guess you could argue devolution has slightly reduced power in general because the pm has less control over their laws and stuff but you could argue that it's gave the pm more power as he is the one giving them more devolution peers like power passed further devolution to Scotland and Wales
But I don't know you could argue it any way

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou, and yeah it is a bit like unit 1 with the democracy question. It wouldnt be that bad if something like that did come up though.
Is individual voter registration a reform of the HOC or not just a const reform?
Does anyone have any resources?? or notes :') x
The reforms I know of include:

- Devolution (E.g. Wales, Scotland, NI)
- House of Lords Reform. (House of Lords Act 1999)
- Electoral Reform (E.g. SV, STV)
- Human Rights Act 1998.
- Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Constitutional Reform Act 2005.
- Supreme Court 2009.
- Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011.
- House of Lords Reform Act 2014.
- Power of Recall (Recall of MPs Act 2015).

Proposed Reforms / Failed Reforms:

- Introduction of AV for general elections [Failed] 2011.
- Extended Devolution. (E.g. West Lothian Question; establishing an English Parliament)
- Changing constituency boundaries.
- Reducing the size of the Commons from 650 to 600. (Failed? Or still going on)
- 'Mostly' elected House of Lords [Failed] (House of Lords Reform Bill 2012)
- Wholly elected House of Lords.

Any I've missed out, or I've made mistakes on?
(edited 7 years ago)
am I the only one that thinks that they will ask whether the HOL should be wholly elected?
Original post by toniyasminn
am I the only one that thinks that they will ask whether the HOL should be wholly elected?

I think it might come up too. Or at least be included in a question like "The House of Lords is in greater need of reform than the House of Commons". I'm hoping that something like this will come up, preferably as a 40 marker. :smile:
I think it might come up too. Or at least be included in a question like "The House of Lords is in greater need of reform than the House of Commons". I'm hoping that something like this will come up, preferably as a 40 marker. :smile:

same but that was last years question :frown: ugh
The reforms I know of include:

- Devolution (E.g. Wales, Scotland, NI)
- House of Lords Reform. (House of Lords Act 1999)
- Electoral Reform (E.g. SV, STV)
- Human Rights Act 1998.
- Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- Constitutional Reform Act 2005.
- Supreme Court 2009.
- Fixed Term Parliament Act 2011.
- House of Lords Reform Act 2014.
- Power of Recall (Recall of MPs Act 2015).

Proposed Reforms / Failed Reforms:

- Introduction of AV for general elections [Failed] 2011.
- Extended Devolution. (E.g. West Lothian Question; establishing an English Parliament)
- Changing constituency boundaries.
- Reducing the size of the Commons from 650 to 600. (Failed? Or still going on)
- 'Mostly' elected House of Lords [Failed] (House of Lords Reform Bill 2012)
- Wholly elected House of Lords.

Any I've missed out, or I've made mistakes on?

English votes on English laws has happened hasn't it?
what are the disadvantages of the UK constitution apart from it being too powerful, doesn't protect human rights & lack of clarity?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Louise12307
It all depends whether your school has paid for the resources? Prechewed Politics is amazing and I would recommend it to any school and it's done wonders for my exams. Goes super in depth so if you haven't got it then bring it up to your teachers! I think my teacher said it was pretty cheap and really good value because you get videos which cover the whole spec, plus reports that go over the for and against and topics with current examples. There's also quizzes and stuff for keywords - really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh the privatisation of education , isn't it wonderful
Original post by toniyasminn
what are the disadvantages of the UK constitution apart from it being too powerful, doesn't protect human rights & lack of clarity?

Too much power centralised, out dated institutions eg lords and FPTP, too flexible and easy to pass through legislation, parliamentary sovereignty means rights are inadequetly protected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending