The Student Room Group

Economics at Oxbridge without further maths

I really want to do economics at Oxbridge I'm currently in year 12 and doing maths , economics, biology and chemistry but I don't do further maths and am really worried that this will largely negatively effect my application. How much does it matter that I don't do FM? Are there any colleges at Oxbridge that care less about you not doing FM for economics
Reply 1
Original post by London574
I really want to do economics at Oxbridge I'm currently in year 12 and doing maths , economics, biology and chemistry but I don't do further maths and am really worried that this will largely negatively effect my application. How much does it matter that I don't do FM? Are there any colleges at Oxbridge that care less about you not doing FM for economics

Ok so here is the information i can give you. According to the website all colleges require mathematics at A*. Only some colleges require further mathematics at A*. THe overall requirement by all colleges is A*A*A. so if a college does not require you to do further maths then ensure you will get A* in mathematics A* in one other subject which might be chemistry, biology or economics, and an A in either of the two subjects that have not been used for the A*A*.
Reply 2

Over 90% of offers at Cambridge go to FM candidates and whilst colleges do offer to those without you need to demonstrate that you love maths and indicate why you didn't do FM. If your school doesn't offer it this is fine. If you realised too late that you need it you should put this is your "SAQ". |If it was because you don't really like maths or are not as strong in it you should seriously consider if the Cambridge Economics course is the right one for you.
You should be aiming for 95-100% in Maths. Do serious research on the college website to find those who are less insistent on FM as an asset.
Oxford do not offer Economics, the nearest course is PPE. The requirement for further maths is not as strong but many candidates will also offer English, History, Politics or Philosophy at A2. You should decide which course really appeals to you as they are quite different.
Both are highly competitive-worse stats than Medicine or Law in some years. Hence you need to decide whether your second choice Uni would be for PPE or Economics as it is difficult to write a PS that works as well for both.
Original post by Colmans

Oxford do not offer Economics, the nearest course is PPE.

The nearest course is E&M (economics and management) not PPE (EEM and MEM are also both more closely comparable to an economics courrse than PPE).

Oxford, not a problem at all (though economics not as part of a joint honours course is not an option), I know a fair number of people studying PPE or E&M without further maths (in fact, nobody I know studying them has further maths and that's quite a few people). Cambridge are more picky afaik.
You could always pick up further maths in Year 13, but just do it at AS?
Reply 5
Original post by Colmans
Over 90% of offers at Cambridge go to FM candidates and whilst colleges do offer to those without you need to demonstrate that you love maths and indicate why you didn't do FM. If your school doesn't offer it this is fine. If you realised too late that you need it you should put this is your "SAQ". |If it was because you don't really like maths or are not as strong in it you should seriously consider if the Cambridge Economics course is the right one for you.
You should be aiming for 95-100% in Maths. Do serious research on the college website to find those who are less insistent on FM as an asset.
Oxford do not offer Economics, the nearest course is PPE. The requirement for further maths is not as strong but many candidates will also offer English, History, Politics or Philosophy at A2. You should decide which course really appeals to you as they are quite different.
Both are highly competitive-worse stats than Medicine or Law in some years. Hence you need to decide whether your second choice Uni would be for PPE or Economics as it is difficult to write a PS that works as well for both.

Okay thanks, my school offer FM, but its too late to do it, do you know of any other ways i can show I'm interested in maths thanks
Reply 6
Original post by natninja
The nearest course is E&M (economics and management) not PPE (EEM and MEM are also both more closely comparable to an economics courrse than PPE).

Oxford, not a problem at all (though economics not as part of a joint honours course is not an option), I know a fair number of people studying PPE or E&M without further maths (in fact, nobody I know studying them has further maths and that's quite a few people). Cambridge are more picky afaik.

Yeh im edging towards e&m at oxford, my only issue is that i will be applying for straight economics at other unit i.e bath. Therefore my personal statement will be a bit muddles i.e containing management and econ
Reply 7
Yeh im edging towards e&m at oxford, my only issue is that i will be applying for straight economics at other unit i.e bath. Therefore my personal statement will be a bit muddles i.e containing management and econ

Bath gives FM as "highly desirable" and it is probably also true for LSE, UCL & Warwick.
At Oxford Economics & Management is probably purer Economics than PPE but it has a tiny entry of 87 with a success rate of 8% as opposed to about 240.
Reply 8
Okay thanks, my school offer FM, but its too late to do it, do you know of any other ways i can show I'm interested in maths thanks

You can self study some of the Stats modules which are the most relevant. You will cover most of those aspects of FM in less than the first term if you get a place so it won't be wasted. If you have silver and golds in maths challenges that should go on your CV. It isn't so much interest as ability in Maths that you demonstrate.
Oxford also do history and economics needing AAA, if you're interested in that. But some unis can be funny about choosing someone who does FM, marhs and another subject and sometimes prefer someone who does Fm, maths and two other subjects :smile: but generally it's actual grades, GCSE grades and personal statement as well as interview. I know the course for Oxford isn't as maths heavy as some other unis :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending