The Student Room Group

UK faith schools teaching women must obey men

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/accelerated-christian-education-christian-fundamentalist-schools-are-teaching-girls-they-must-obey-a7066751.html

Christian fundamentalist schools are teaching children creationism is fact, that gay people are “unnatural” and that girls must submit to men, according to a series of claims.Former pupils and whistle-blowers have told The Independent that the schools, which originated in the US but are now dotted around the UK and registered as independent or private schools, teach children at isolated desks separated by “dividers” from other students. It is thought more than a thousand children are being taught at dozens of schools, although little is known about them.“No one outside the schools knows about what happens inside them, that’s why they’ve been able to go on like this for so long," a former pupil said.
What's your view on faith schools?

Scroll to see replies

This is the first I've heard of these, although I'm a strict Christian myself I have to say I disagree with them
Reply 2
so you're not christian?
Reply 3
These schools should be subject to inspection like state schools imo
Original post by drogon
so you're not christian?

I am a Christian, very much so, I believe Jesus is my saviour, but having read the article these schools are not abiding by UK educational legislation by the looks of it so they are ironically going against what the Bible says in this respect.
Reply 5
I totally disagree with faith schools. Indoctrinating children with religious views, in my opinion, is unfair.

However, I understand that there is a counter argument to this...

"Well, isn't it unfair to deny children the right to faith schools?".

The only thing I can think of to reply with is that school is not for religious teaching, that is what religious buildings (e.g. - churches) are for...

But again, this could be counter argued with "Well, why are children taught about homosexuality being acceptable when this is subjective".

I think that schools should educate students on the facts and let the children decide for themselves what they want to believe/think. I agree that Religious Studies / Philosophy, Ethics and Religion is okay to be taught but only if the teaching is unbiased and just presents different people's viewpoints without the school trying to "push" a specific way of thinking.
Reply 6
Schools funded in any way by the government should not be able to affiliate to any religion, in my opinion.
That sucks, I went to a catholic school in a mainly catholic country and the teaching was surprisingly ordinary. We had sex ed classes in which the visibly embarrassed teachers mentioned that they were expected to inform us what the stance of the Church was, and then they proceeded with da science. Utterly sorry for everyone who has to put up with faith schools' ******** without having a choice.
Reply 8
I remember at primary school, in "Music" lessons we were sat in a room with a TV and forced to watch Bible Story videos. I always used to think of them as fun little fairy tales to promote good morals, like, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I had no idea what religion was or that any of the stuff about "God" was actually believed by people. I thought it was just a series of children's stories...
Every morning, in assembly, we would sing religious songs.. "He has the Whole World in His Hands". "Who built the Arc? NOAH! NOAH!", etc.

This wasn't a religious school.
Reply 9
I also remember finding my mum's nailvarnish and thinking it looked cool so I put it on myself because I liked the colours.
I went to school, got changed for P.E and my female teacher said "What is that on your nails? Boys don't wear nail varnish!" - the same teacher that ran the religious assemblies on a morning.
I was around 6-7 years old.

:/
It's the get them young and you've got them for life attitude.

If I had my way, I'd ban state funded faith schools. It isn't the role of the government to indoctrinate kids into a particular religion (granted my own unpleasant experience in a Churvh of England turned me into an atheist). Although I'm happy for kids to learn about religion.

As for private schools such as these, I'm torn between the parents right to choose the education recieves if they pay of it, and not subjecting kids to brainwashing.

Teachers in faith schools are more likely to abuse their rights. Like I heard in a Muslim faith school, how one of the teachers was an extremist and taught the children about 'radical Jihad' which could influence them to join 'amazing Jihad middle eastern organisations' such as IS.

There should be stricter inspections in faith schools like an under-cover spy in the classroom. If there is an inspection, teachers are more likely to be stricter than they actually are(happens in all schools).
Reply 12
I go to a Catholic school and yeah I've been taught in RS similar things to this. I don't agree to what is said.
Sigh.
And people think religion isn't problematic.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Religion isn't problematic (although an agnostic myself) it is rather certain individuals that practice it that present a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, many teachings in Christianity and Islam are extremely problematic.
Original post by drogon
These schools should be subject to inspection like state schools imo

They are, I go to a private school not a faith school though but we still have to have Ofsted inspections
Hmm, I don't think that it's fair that all the UK faith schools should be to blame for just one case. I go to a faith school where, yes, we learn about God, but we can openly discuss whether creationism is real or not, we learn about the Big Bang Theory, we accept gays, and are taught that men and women are equal (God made Eve from Adam's side; not from his feet to be below him or from his head to be above him).
Reply 17
fair enough lol
As a Christian, I think it is a good idea to have Christian schools.

Quick Reply

Latest