The Student Room Group

Voter Registration crashed! Did you try to register at the last minute?

Poll

Did you register to vote yesterday

Where you successful?

The system crashed under the demand after the ITV Cameron & Farage programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36462425

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I did it yesterday. 4 out of 5 of my family have registered.
Reply 2
Original post by Naveed-7

Why did you leave it so late? And what finally inspired you to register?
Original post by jneill
Why did you leave it so late? And what finally inspired you to register?

I was still thinking about what side to vote. I decided to vote because I realised how my Father's business is being affected and other reasons.
I was still thinking about what side to vote. I decided to vote because I realised how my Father's business is being affected and other reasons.

How is it being affected?
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Where you successful?

The system crashed under the demand after the ITV Cameron & Farage programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36462425

Already voted but I would like to add that I don't think we should have to register, should just be automatic once you turn 18, its very undemocratic.
If your planning is so poor that you wait to register on the last possible day then you shouldn't really be trusted to vote.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
If your planning is so poor that you wait to register on the last possible day then you shouldn't really be trusted to vote.

I agree. If voting at the last minute just by a couple of things said in a so called debate, well it says it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not understand why people register the last minute
Original post by SMEGGGY
I agree. If voting at the last minute just by a couple of things said in a so called debate, well it says it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesn't. The deadline is a deadline for a reason and you are fully entitled to register at any time before it.

It's not for arrogant sods like you to determine when someone should register within the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Did you put that in the thread poll above? :wink:
No sympathy for the dolts. This date has been banged on about for weeks, if you're too thick to get your finger out then it's your problem, not the government's.

The other point is why weren't you already registered? I didn't register to vote in the EU referendum because I'm already on the electoral roll.
Original post by sebby491
Already voted but I would like to add that I don't think we should have to register, should just be automatic once you turn 18, its very undemocratic.

How do they know where you are? How do they know which constituency you live in? How do they know you're still at the same address?

Don't expect everything to be spoon-fed to you, get off your arse and take responsibility for yourself.

You do know you don't need to know which way you're voting to be registered?
(edited 7 years ago)
If you left it until after seeing punch and judy (Farage and Cameron) you probably dont realise that this referendum is about ending self government in the UK for all future generations. You are registered now so please remember that most people support an imaginary EU where everyone wants to hold hands and love each other. The EU is not like that, instead imagine the AfD and Austrian Freedom Party and Front National forming a coalition in 10 years time that runs the EU. The UK has about 8.5% of the votes and there are almost no vetoes. When this happens remind yourself that you were responsible for the UK being steamrollered into a nightmare.

It is not about easy travel or holding hands, it is about saving future generations from European political volatility. Remember, the Croatians were ethnically cleansing in the 1990s and genocide was happening in living memory. Remain means bringing such violent political events to the UK without any means to resist.
Reply 14
ALERT!
Voter Registration has been re-opened. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36476176)

If you missed out yesterday you can register now:
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Reply 15
Original post by newpersonage
It is not about easy travel or holding hands, it is about saving future generations from European political volatility. Remember, the Croatians were ethnically cleansing in the 1990s and genocide was happening in living memory. Remain means bringing such violent political events to the UK without any means to resist.

Croatia wasn't in the EU in the 1990s.
Original post by DiddyDec

I've registered. I swear there's no point to the referendum because it's pretty obvious the majority's going to vote to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
No sympathy for the dolts. This date has been banged on about for weeks, if you're too thick to get your finger out then it's your problem, not the government's.

Who are the dolts though, we must ask? The public, or the civil servants who were meant to be managing the system so this wouldn't happen? Your message actually applies equally to both.
Original post by jneill
Croatia wasn't in the EU in the 1990s.

But it is now.

I sat in a restaurant in Dubrovnik a couple of years back (on the way to Exit) and started talking to the locals about the war. They said "Croatia is clean now". They are all still there.

Sovereignty means being in a different political stream from the EU, secure in the calmness of our culture.

Quick Reply

Latest