The Student Room Group

Scottish police to add hijab uniform under diversity plan

Police Scotland is to introduce a hijab to its uniform in an effort to attract more Muslim women to a force which is failing to reflect the diversity in the country’s population.

Currently, only 1 percent of Scotland’s police officers come from a black or minority background, compared with 4 percent of the general population.

Ethnic minority communities account for higher percentages in Scottish cities, such as Glasgow (12 percent), Edinburgh and Aberdeen (8 percent).

The “sourced and tested” hijab was announced by the Scottish Police Authority at a public meeting in Glasgow this week as part of their Work Force Diversity Strategy, aiming to encourage “people from under represented groups to consider policing as a career.”

“This prototype will now be presented to the Uniform Standards Working Group for their consideration,” the police document states.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/uk/345681-hijab-police-scotland-diversity/

Scroll to see replies

Excellent Idea!
having a few more ethnic minorities in the police force doesn't make it better
What's wrong with catering to ethnic minorities? This is a great idea!
I don't understand why there is a need for diversity, we want the best no matter what race they are.
Bad idea. Less peripheral vision
Reply 6
For ****'s sake, Scotland. Why are you so hellbent on becoming Sweden 2.0?
Original post by Mathemagicien
What are you, crazy or something?

Sorry, I was just being realistic. I will use my outrage at the lack diversity next time.
Reply 8
Careful - if you live in Scotland you might be arrested for this kind of post...

I don't. I would infact love to live in Scotland, a great deal of my family hail from there and I adore the natural landscape. But I do not want to live under the rule of the likes of the SNP.
Reply 9
Original post by Wōden
For ****'s sake, Scotland. Why are you so hellbent on becoming Sweden 2.0?

I'm aware it's a different religion, but the turban has been an official part of UK military uniform for well over 70 years, so why does a police equivalent bother you so much?
Original post by Drewski
I'm aware it's a different religion, but the turban has been an official part of UK military uniform for well over 70 years, so why does a police equivalent bother you so much?

Indeed here is King George V in his turban as Colonel in Chief of the Punjab Cavalry

Original post by DiddyDec
I don't understand why there is a need for diversity, we want the best no matter what race they are.

By adding the Hijab as part of the uniform, it allows for more people to join the police force hence increasing the the chance of getting the best.
SNP are anti-White Marxists

Marxism is anti-White, it is the destroyer of nationalism yet it was created by a Jewish Zionist

**** SNP, the Scottish people did nothing to deserve this
Original post by Welshstig
By adding the Hijab as part of the uniform, it allows for more people to join the police force hence increasing the the chance of getting the best.
people who could be held back by the lack of hijab are not the people I would like to see in the Force. plus, it also alienates ethnic minorities, it clearly shows they do not need to assimilate.
Hmm fair enough I suppose, albeit for some of the more conservative communities that feel very strongly women ought to wear a hijab, would a women being a policeman have the right amount of authority over them when dealing with them? (obviously law wise an officer is an officer, but community relations wise..)
Original post by Welshstig

The sort of people who follow a dogmatic and oppressive religion especially when it comes to women. How many people do you think this new rule will effect? 10 at the very most?
Realism is violence. TSR, and the internet in general, needs to become a Safe Space. Reality has no place in a Safe Space.

You crack me up :lol: Well played, sir, well played.
Good. It's 2016! I think the real question is why aren't are we rolling out Sharia patrols yet?
Reply 18
The basic function of a "uniform" is to erase differences between agents. They are going to highlight them. Smart.
Original post by DiddyDec
The sort of people who follow a dogmatic and oppressive religion especially when it comes to women. How many people do you think this new rule will effect? 10 at the very most?

If a person wants to wear Hijab and join the police force out of their own will, then surely there is no harm in that. It is the persons choice to whether they want to wear Hijab and as such they should not be forced. Forcing someone to wear Hijab in Islam is Haram.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending