The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyadtr
I know!! They tried to put through lowering the voting age for the eu referendum but I don't know what house refused it but it failed terribly 🙃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well let's be honest, it's hardly in Conservative interests to encourage younger political participation as we all tend to be further to the left.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is really brief but you could say:
1) LEGISLATION
discuss the role of HofL and Public/Private Member Bills
:frown: party discipline - party whips ensure proposals are rarely defeated which defeeats the purpose of effective scrutiny
:frown: electoral system is not truly representative of society because of FPTP system

2) SCRUTINY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
:frown: Question time is parliamentary theatre rather than effective scrutiny
:smile: Select Committees are much more effective in scrutinising government departments such as recent work of Ian Wright against Sports Direct's Manager Mike Ashley

3)REPRESENTATION
:smile: mps are elected from single member constituencies and therefore there is a strong link between constituents and MPS
discuss descriptive representation
:frown: very few female Mps ( look at the guardian's article on representation)
:frown: BME (black and minority ethnicities) only make up 4% of commons compared to the 14% BME population of UK
:frown: 90%MPs went to uni but only 20% of population are uni graduates
Original post by espicton98
how would I answer this question? 'to what extent does parliament fulfill its functions?'
How many functions of HofC and HofL are people learning and how much detail are you gonna learn for it? xxx
Original post by Louise12307
Well let's be honest, it's hardly in Conservative interests to encourage younger political participation as we all tend to be further to the left.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what it does however show you is that Cameron doesn't give that much of a **** about the EU referendum - if he was desperate for a remain win, the Tories would support lowering the voting age as younger people tend to favour remain.

just didnt want to set a precedent.
Original post by xxvine
wait I'm confused lol

if it says 'assess the significance' you talk about ones that have passed and why they were significant
the other side of the argument...you mention reforms that were not passed?

The reforms that haven't passed are practically insignificant as they're failures...they would be successes if they were passed to some extent right? I'm getting this information from the politicos review its got the stuff that hasn't passed as failures

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keirjohnharry
The 'Grand Committee' has stood , they've debated things a few times , its odd because scottish etc MPs can sit in the house but can't vote. The SNP amusingly ruined the first session by shouting out a lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/12095904/Scottish-MPs-react-with-fury-as-only-English-and-Welsh-MPs-are-allowed-to-vote-on-housing-bill.html

Wow really? If that isn't a middle finger to their role as MPs, then what is?

Original post by keirjohnharry
I just think if they're going to do it , it should be done properly.
Set up a separate building (ideally not in London) with MEPS (Members of English parliament). The SNP were mocking the fact that MPs are elected as the legislature for the United Kingdom , yet are being denied this right. I can't remember a referendum on 'English Devolution' can you?

I don't think there has been a referendum on it. Should there? Personally, I think there should if Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were given it. Heck, even the North East was given a referendum on establishing a devolved assembly.

I bet Cornwall will get a referendum on one before England does. :biggrin:
Original post by popcornjpg
what it does however show you is that Cameron doesn't give that much of a **** about the EU referendum - if he was desperate for a remain win, the Tories would support lowering the voting age as younger people tend to favour remain.

just didnt want to set a precedent.

Especially now that Cameron recently announced he isn't serving a third term (he's a lame duck) and so isn't gonna receive the same respect either as well as the eu, politicans may be thinking into the future and supporting members like borris

Posted from TSR Mobile
Especially now that Cameron recently announced he isn't serving a third term (he's a lame duck) and so isn't gonna receive the same respect either as well as the eu, politicans may be thinking into the future and supporting members like borris

Posted from TSR Mobile

lel boris

if there is a brexit Cameron won't survive a year, but I don't think Boris will be the new leader.

neither will Osborne or May unless the Tories are hoping for political suicide
lel boris

if there is a brexit Cameron won't survive a year, but I don't think Boris will be the new leader.

neither will Osborne or May unless the Tories are hoping for political suicide

Let's face it if we vote leave Cameron will have no choice but to resign! It will have to be someone on the brexit side in his cabinet then...none of which I think would be fit to be a pm but time will tell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's face it if we vote leave Cameron will have no choice but to resign! It will have to be someone on the brexit side in his cabinet then...none of which I think would be fit to be a pm but time will tell

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine there would be a cabinet reshuffle as well - we'll see, anyway, they may keep Cameron since he generally polls more favourably than Corbyn.
Original post by Sarpedon
Does one have to learn all four topics for this unit? Or can one get away with two or three, like Unit 1?

Original post by toniyasminn
3 is the safe number, 2 is too risky.

I agree. I'm learning 3 (Not doing judiciary); 4 would be too much in the limited time we have. My revision's basically based off of predictions people are coming up with, and checking out other past exam questions, which I'm going to plan/answer later this afternoon to see just how much I know/understand.
I imagine there would be a cabinet reshuffle as well - we'll see, anyway, they may keep Cameron since he generally polls more favourably than Corbyn.

Really?! I wouldn't have thought that that is a surprise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really?! I wouldn't have thought that that is a surprise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it that much of a surprise tho? What notable thing has Corbyn done since becoming leader beside attracting members to the Labour Party (which doesn't attract voters from the Tories)?

I personally think he's a great MP, bad leader. Labour seems to have a hard on for weak leaders...

I think Cameron's done for after this if there's a Brexit. But in fairness, I would rather him stay on as PM than bring in Theresa May or George Osborne, for example. Although it doesn't really matter, considering that Cameron will step down prior to the 2020 election and one of them will likely become leader and stand a good chance of winning, unless Labour pieces themselves together and produces an actual opposition or some other party springs to the top. (Let's go Green Party 2020! 'm joking)
[QUOTE="Tej98;65555569"]

It's an interesting one but I can't help but think that Cameron will be overthrown if the Leave vote wins by any margin. It was always going to be a tough decision but the referendum is merely to appease backbenchers in the Tory Party that their calls are being listened to. Although I support remain and rightly so, you can't help but see a sense of anxiousness and desperation in Cameron's pleas although I do agree that leaving the EU would cost us quite a fair bit.

The 'lame duck' expression does keep reminding me of what Tony Blair did in 2004 saying he 'would serve a full third term but not a fourth'. From then on, he was severely weakened and under pressure by the rebels/Brownites to release a timetable of his departure. He left not out of desire but unable to cope with colleagues who were bent on getting rid of him day in and day out. I only fear that this will be remarkably similar with David Cameron in the near future as the Conservative civil war deepens to new levels...
Po

I agree, it's definitely not influencing his position in a positive way...with the conservatives it's undoubtably that there will eventually be a civil war however will the media promote it to the extent as the apparent labour civil war? Probably not

I also can't wait to see what happens to ukip after the Eu result - will they grow like the snp or fade to a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh the main reason I'm against Brexit is the prospect of a Boris led Tory party. He has more chance of winning than Corbyn does with Labour and I wouldn't want to live in England under Boris rule for 5 years
Is it that much of a surprise tho? What notable thing has Corbyn done since becoming leader beside attracting members to the Labour Party (which doesn't attract voters from the Tories)?

I personally think he's a great MP, bad leader. Labour seems to have a hard on for weak leaders...

I suppose not.,he's struggling enough as it with all the different factions, they're being poor opposition at the moment to the government (I will totally put that in an essay tomorrow)
However he is more resourceful than miliband that failed last year
There hasn't really been a strong leader for labour since Blair it's just a question will corbyn have a chance to become that way or will he still be taken as a joke by some in his own party by General election

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="mollyadtr;65555817"]
Original post by Tej98

I agree, it's definitely not influencing his position in a positive way...with the conservatives it's undoubtably that there will eventually be a civil war however will the media promote it to the extent as the apparent labour civil war? Probably not

I also can't wait to see what happens to ukip after the Eu result - will they grow like the snp or fade to a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was talking to my teacher about this, he said UKIP is Farage's fiefdom and basically what ever he chooses to take on next will happen. If we leave, probably stricter immigration etc
Original post by UKStudent17
I think Cameron's done for after this if there's a Brexit. But in fairness, I would rather him stay on as PM than bring in Theresa May or George Osborne, for example. Although it doesn't really matter, considering that Cameron will step down prior to the 2020 election and one of them will likely become leader and stand a good chance of winning, unless Labour pieces themselves together and produces an actual opposition or some other party springs to the top. (Let's go Green Party 2020! 'm joking)

I agree, Green Party are decent! Just seen more like a pressure group still than a party 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
Tbh the main reason I'm against Brexit is the prospect of a Boris led Tory party. He has more chance of winning than Corbyn does with Labour and I wouldn't want to live in England under Boris rule for 5 years

what makes you think Boris would win? hilariously enough, michael gove has the most positive polling as a potential new leader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending