The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

if we stay in the EU then it is due to the youth/ young voters- they have the diciding fate.... it all depends on turnout
Original post by tanyapotter
Around £730 million of EU money is spent on research, development and innovation in the UK every year.

Do you not find it selfish that leave campaigners seem to have little to no regard for the huge funding deficit that would occur in the event of a Brexit? Have you people any idea how detrimental this would be to the livelihood and work of our scientists, engineers, and mathematicians?

People have vested interests, and the smarter people of this country realise that patriotism is not one of them.

I work in research and I'm still voting leave. Claiming you're the 'smarter' lot is hilarious. Most people I know voting leave are not people I would consider smart by any stretch of the imagination.
Original post by infairverona
I work in research and I'm still voting leave. Claiming you're the 'smarter' lot is hilarious. Most people I know voting leave are not people I would consider smart by any stretch of the imagination.

That's a mean thing to say about people in your own campaign
That's a mean thing to say about people in your own campaign

I meant remain. That'll teach me to post on here pre-coffee. Although, there are a lot of racist morons in the leave campaign also.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say CAP was a sensible idea. It will remain whether Brexit is there or not.

The CAP is not a sensible idea, on that you are correct.

Interesting argument that we should continue to subsidise French farmers because if we don't someone else will have to. :smile:

And that we shouldn't withdraw from one of the biggest and most iniquitous protectionist projects in human history, that keeps food prices artificially high and has historically dumped the unneeded surpluses onto the Third World at depressed prices, because it will continue anyway even if we leave...
Hopefully we'll leave, personally I don't think the population is even educated enough to make informed decisions and we are just brainwashed by politicians... We can only research the information for ourselves and come to a decision. One reason I would say that we should get out of the EU is because there is too much freedom of movement within the borders and by leaving we can control who comes in and out, making sure we keep a cap on immigration. Not that immigration is a bad thing, but we can only let in a certain number of immigrants. It will overall be better for our independence whether people like it or not.
There is far less job security in the EU with unlimited immigration. Economically there is little difference. We might experience a ripple but you can't make an omlette without breaking any eggs.

The ultimate result of continued mass immigration will be civil war.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's always an element of fear voting for the unknown, so it's plausible that even people telling the pollsters they will vote Leave will actually on the day, confronted with the paper, vote Remain.

Wishful thinking. Leavers are a good deal more committed than you seem to realise.

This will come down to the undecided. Getting on for two in ten of those polled even now after all this media saturation coverage. The Remain camp is banking on the undecideds on polling day being frightened of the unknown, and they could be right.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

A bigger danger though is that people will just stay at home. There is also the issue that people will be sick and tired of the whole thing - many already are and we still have another 16 days of brainless drivel to go. :rolleyes:

Not a danger but an opportunity.

The Remain vote is very soft. There are a few swivel eyed loons, Europhile arch Federalists who think the sun shines out of Jean Claude Juncker's @rsehole, but most people are either indifferent to the EU or actively hostile.
Original post by XcitingStuart
You are being unreasonably thick and blinded right now.

They are supposed to work in the EU's interest to be a commissioner.
They are supposed to work in our interest to be a UK representative.
They are mutually exclusive.

G2g so I can't reply in full.

Nope, not mutually exclusive. Nothing in the oath says that they cannot work in favour of their own country.

Lol. What did you expect? An oath saying they can work against the EU?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 209
Original post by pereira325
IKR. Too many people can't sacrifice a small amount of "potential" loss for a) border control and b) regaining our sovereignty. They are too concerned about being a few thousand worse off a year- boo hoo. What happened to national identity and patriotism?!

Why do people say stuff like this (your last sentence):angry: That is called scaremongering!!! Economics have forecasted a "worst case scenario" and no hundreds of thousands wouldn't lose their jobs and the economy would not "go down the drain". I feel sorry that you are so afraid!

Send me £5000 and I might change my vote.
Leaving is the better decision. Remain is a bunch of ********. Businesses have been affected, so much pressure is on our trading businesses. Theres more EU migrants taking from us and making profit in their own countries. We cant make as much profit as a result.
When push comes to shove, I believe that the majority of undecided voters will realise that economic and job security is more important to them and their families than "taking back control" and what not, and they will vote to remain. Do people think Britain will leave or stay on the 23rd?

the bookmakers seem to agree with you :h:

here are today's odds:

brexitodd5.png
Original post by sleepysnooze
remaining in the EU will actually hurt us economically over the long-term
and judging by the trends in the polls (as long as they continue along this pattern), I'd say we'll probably leave

Britain's economy has outperformed USA since we joined the EU in 1973

GDP per capita.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Britain's economy has outperformed USA since we joined the EU in 1973

GDP per capita.png

No, it's outperformed it this century, but then that doesn't say what you want it to say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone thinks that the NHS will be saved if we pull out then you are a currant short of a total fruitcake.
Boring Boris will rip it to pieces and if you thought Cameron and his cronies were bad then you ain't seen nothing yet,trust me.
Original post by Jammy Duel
No, it's outperformed it this century, but then that doesn't say what you want it to say.

?

The chart is cumulative and is baselined to 1973 not 2000.
Original post by jneill
?

The chart is cumulative and is baselined to 1973 not 2000.

Bit you've also got that, apart from 1975, the USA ahead the entire last century (that is given), the point of the graph is to use the last 15 years to imply the EU is good. I'm sure one could easily use the same graph to show other results by simply changing the base

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bit you've also got that, apart from 1975, the USA ahead the entire last century (that is given), the point of the graph is to use the last 15 years to imply the EU is good. I'm sure one could easily use the same graph to show other results by simply changing the base

Posted from TSR Mobile

'73 is a very significant (and relevant) date though.
Original post by jneill
'73 is a very significant (and relevant) date though.

But as said, the argument made is very much a case of ad hoc ergo propter hoc; implicity we get "the eu caused the UK to grow faster than the us" based on the last 15 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
But as said, the argument made is very much a case of ad hoc ergo propter hoc; implicity we get "the eu caused the UK to grow faster than the us" based on the last 15 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

The argument could just as easily be that UK did well despite the "terrible" EU.

Oh and..

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest