The Student Room Group

WJEC IT3 A2 ICT Exam - Wednesday 22nd June 2016

So I saw the AS IT1 exam was on Monday and there was a huge thread for that, so I thought I'd start one for A2.

Anyone got any predictions for this year? Share them here along with any resources etc you might have!

For revision I've just been doing the usual, memorising of the mark schemes. Just praying that WJEC don't introduce any new types of questions like last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nath98
So I saw the AS IT1 exam was on Monday and there was a huge thread for that, so I thought I'd start one for A2.

Anyone got any predictions for this year? Share them here along with any resources etc you might have!

For revision I've just been doing the usual, memorising of the mark schemes. Just praying that WJEC don't introduce any new types of questions like last year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same, the mark schemes are the only useful way of revising, paired with the text book to help expand on a few points :smile:
What does everyone think is going to come up ??
Original post by jessicajones1998
What does everyone think is going to come up ??

Section B is more often than not topic 6 (databases), the rest is anything on topics 1-5 and 7-9.
Reply 4
Original post by SamCricket1
Section B is more often than not topic 6 (databases), the rest is anything on topics 1-5 and 7-9.

Hoping we get one of those super easy questions on database tables in section B this year where you have to create two new tables with primary and foreign keys etc. They are so easy and are like 7 marks :biggrin:
What are the chances of ring and star topologies or peer 2 peer and client server networks coming up?
Reply 6
Original post by SamCricket1
What are the chances of ring and star topologies or peer 2 peer and client server networks coming up?

peer 2 peer and client server came up last year so probably not too likely but ring/star hasn't been up for a few years so thats probably likely
Original post by Nath98
Hoping we get one of those super easy questions on database tables in section B this year where you have to create two new tables with primary and foreign keys etc. They are so easy and are like 7 marks :biggrin:

I always find going for the operational procedures & threats or whatever else comes up easier in section B rather than the database questions because operational procedures etc can come up in section A so I find there is less to revise in that case.

Plus regarding client server and peer-to-peer, this was the examiners comment last year: Most candidates were able to give three differences but tended to give cost andknowledge factors twice each. Weaker candidates also lost marks by being toovague i.e. not saying why a peer to peer network was cheaper.

Therefore being it wasnt a strong question I wont be surprised if it comes up again however it has came up the past two years as it was on the 2014 summer past paper too.
Has anyone got any notes they could send me that are consistent with the mark scheme?
Looking at the past papers would you agree we are due e-commerce/on-line shopping?
I've attached a document that shows all of the questions that have come up since 2010 showing how many marks each questions are, you can make predictions based off of this, or help you revise by going through all of the topics! Any questions just ask!
Reply 11
I just hope that they just stop asking a question about the control / moral / of the Internet near the end on section A, because there are better stuff that they can ask.

The prominent topics which usually appear are 1, 2, 3 and 6. The rest varies and quite harder to predict as they only appear once or not at all.
I still cannot fathom topic 7 though, kinda neglected it from the beginning lol currently I'm striving to actually try and understand it now.
I got an A in my coursework for this I think I got 96/100. In the exam I would ideally like a C but would settle for a D. What is the minimum amount of marks I need in the exam to achieve this? Thanks
Reply 13
Original post by bigstag21
I got an A in my coursework for this I think I got 96/100. In the exam I would ideally like a C but would settle for a D. What is the minimum amount of marks I need in the exam to achieve this? Thanks

I assume you mean 96% in the coursework, as it's out of 80.
An A is worth 64/80, so you've got that A, which we'll take as being 64/80. A D in the exam is worth 60 marks, and a C grade in A2 ICT is worth 120 marks, so 64 + 60 = 124, giving you a C. A D grade is worth 100 marks. So getting an E in the exam (48 marks + 64 marks = 112) will get you a D.

*EDIT* This is in UMS marks! I will tell you raw marks for the exam now (going by 2015):
A = 78/90
B = 70/90
C = 62/90
D = 54/90
E = 49/90

This is a lot higher than the boundaries in AS. And also quite a bit higher than what was in earlier papers, such as 2012 where a C was 55, not 62.
Hope this helps (:
(edited 7 years ago)
Regarding code of conduct, what questions would you get on the 'Legal and Moral Issues' of it? I think it's topic 4, working with ICT.
Does anyone have an A grade example answer of the moral/ownership over the internet question they love to ask?
Original post by Rawr97
I just hope that they just stop asking a question about the control / moral / of the Internet near the end on section A, because there are better stuff that they can ask.

The prominent topics which usually appear are 1, 2, 3 and 6. The rest varies and quite harder to predict as they only appear once or not at all.
I still cannot fathom topic 7 though, kinda neglected it from the beginning lol currently I'm striving to actually try and understand it now.

Thanks for this dude!!
Reply 16
Hey guys, I was just wondering, last year in AS level i got a C overall in this subject and this year i got my course work back and i got 99/100, would anybody know what i would need in the exam now to get a B-C-D? Thanks!
Reply 17
Also whats everyone's favorite way to revise this topic? Using mark schemes and past papers or just writing down notes from resources? Also do you guys prefer to use pen and paper or do all revision on your computer?:smile:
Reply 18
Screenshot (88).png
Original post by rpbw
Hey guys, I was just wondering, last year in AS level i got a C overall in this subject and this year i got my course work back and i got 99/100, would anybody know what i would need in the exam now to get a B-C-D? Thanks!

This will help you to calculate what you need in the exam (:

As for revision, I have a general rule that if you know the all the answers to about 5 past papers, over the past 5 years then you will get at LEAST a B. So, just focus on mark schemes and doing past papers (without looking, unless you have to). I normally write out the mark scheme for a paper to get it in my head, preferably without having to look too much. Look at it, then write from memory. When you feel relatively comfortable do a past paper and see where you're at. Learn everything you missed, keep practising and do another. Studying topic notes at this point is a WASTE OF TIME! Do not do it! Just use mark schemes. Yes, a question may come up that has not come up before. But at the very least 90% of the questions will be reused questions from previous years, usually the past 5 years. As you begin doing past papers you will notice that your grade should keep getting higher and higher each time. I believe this is the most reliable method to boosting your grade as quickly as possible!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by rpbw
Also whats everyone's favorite way to revise this topic? Using mark schemes and past papers or just writing down notes from resources? Also do you guys prefer to use pen and paper or do all revision on your computer?:smile:

Pen and Paper for me. I printed off all the past papers and mark schemes then I pretty much divided up all the past paper question answers into topic by topic and wrote it all down in notes. Now I'm just practising questions from each topic as best I can. We just have to pray they don't introduce any new question types.

I have 90%+ in every module so far (thank God for the coursework), so I'd really like to do well in this and get A* but I've a feeling they will introduce new questions and I'll miss out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending