The Student Room Group

UK faith schools teaching women must obey men

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Wrong. Schools inherently operate an ideological state apparatus but religious agenda just makes this worse.

If I was your father, I'd throw away your iPhone, cut you off from the internet and send you to a good gurukula to learn something worthwhile.
Reply 41
Went to a faith school and I loved it.
Glad more are opening in my area.
I go to a Catholic school (well not anymore since I'm leaving 6th form next week) but coming from an all girls school to a faith school I noticed a lot of differences, some good and others not so good...

In RE (which was a compulsory lesson each week) I was given a questionnaire questioning homosexuality and I was supposed to tick whether is was immoral or not, the same question for abortion etc.

I wrote sarcastic notes all over the questionnaire and handed it in (:colondollar:)....

I'm fine with going to a faith school, I'm not fine with having to answer whether I believe homosexuality is immoral. :colonhash:

also, there is no Sex ed and apparently condoms send you to hell :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 41b
If I was your father, I'd throw away your iPhone, cut you off from the internet and send you to a good gurukula to learn something worthwhile.

I don't even know what that is and I'm going to assume this is a joke.
Completely agree with everything you said:h:
I agree with everything you said apart from the bit in bold.

But yes, indoctrination absolutely robs people of their critical thinking!
Reply 46
Unless they teach a strictly secular curriculum, faith schools shouldn't exist.
Reply 47
If a faith school refused to teach the flaws and inadequacies in their faith then that is only a problem when students will blindly accept whatever is spoken from the front of the class. For the majority of secondary schools this is not an issue. Secularisation is high amongst young people. My R.S. lessons consisted of crude jokes and faith-ridiculing, illustrating how the opinion of one teacher will not influence the lifestyle choices of their pupils.

Additionally, faith schools want their students to leave their school with respectable qualifications. To access the higher bands in GCSE and A Level students must develop analytical and evaluative arguments, particularly in subjects like Philosophy and Ethics, English Literature and History. Unless faith schools avoid teaching standard qualifications entirely, there is little room for mass indoctrination.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Close them down.

Amen to that.
It's worse when they teach Creationism.
Reply 50
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
I don't even know what that is and I'm going to assume this is a joke.

Keep going the way you are and you'll end up a dirty westernised skank no one will want to marry.
Reply 51
Original post by 41b
Keep going the way you are and you'll end up a dirty westernised skank no one will want to marry.

You're such a nice guy.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Religion isn't problematic (although an agnostic myself) it is rather certain individuals that practice it that present a problem.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It is problematic If it is being taught in such a way that people believe it without question, and if they then see fit to use it as a stick with which to attack others, enforce it upon others, or act like a-holes.
Original post by serions871
As a Christian, I think it is a good idea to have Christian schools.

Well you would.
Original post by HAnwar
Went to a faith school and I loved it.
Glad more are opening in my area.

Did you love it specifically because it was a faith school?
Original post by 41b

"Keep going the way you are"? You don't even know me. I was born in the UK so yeah I'm westernised and that's not a problem.
Reply 54
Original post by thunder_chunky
It is problematic If it is being taught in such a way that people believe it without question, and if they then see fit to use it as a stick with which to attack others, enforce it upon others, or act like a-holes.

Well you would.

Did you love it specifically because it was a faith school?

It was one of the main reasons yes.
Original post by Josb
Unless they teach a strictly secular curriculum, faith schools shouldn't exist.

So are you suggesting that RE isn't taught? Just because RE is taught, doesn't mean other religions aren't taught.
Reply 56
Original post by horsewithnoname
So are you suggesting that RE isn't taught? Just because RE is taught, doesn't mean other religions aren't taught.

Not if RE is taught through a historical/cultural perspective. It shouldn't start by "our Lord Jesus Christ".
Reply 57
Original post by Josb
You're such a nice guy.

Mind your own business yeah? Go double penetrate some tattooed drug addict (if no other male will partake in your wench of choice, perhaps use a croissant as a substitute, I doubt she'll be able to tell the difference) and write a poem about how liberated you are.
Original post by Josb
Not if RE is taught through a historical/cultural perspective. It shouldn't start by "our Lord Jesus Christ".

I think it's important that children understand that, even within a religion, people don't agree about everything. That's what I got from my RE lessons and I went to a CoE school.
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Lol, I'd ignore him if I were you. I think he's a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're actually disgusting. Reported them but not responding now, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending