The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I've never had a part-time job?

So I'm in uni studying medicine and have never had a part time job before. Why? Because I have never needed the money from it. All of my other friends always panic saying ahh they have to find a part time job to support themselves because their parents don't help them etc. So during their spare time and holidays they always pull themselves up to get to work. And you know that's something you can always put on CVs which is something. But they never took the jobs to bulk up their CV but because they needed the money. Whereas I don't need it. I've always thought during my holidays especially summer I'd rather relax and go on holiday instead of getting a job. If I don't have to have one why should I? But that also means that my CV is pretty damn empty. Is me not getting a part time job because I don't need one a bad thing? Surely as an employer you'd understand that some people just don't need the money from one and just prefer to do other fun things in their life. Any opinions thx?
Original post by JazzyFlower
So I'm in uni studying medicine and have never had a part time job before. Why? Because I have never needed the money from it. All of my other friends always panic saying ahh they have to find a part time job to support themselves because their parents don't help them etc. So during their spare time and holidays they always pull themselves up to get to work. And you know that's something you can always put on CVs which is something. But they never took the jobs to bulk up their CV but because they needed the money. Whereas I don't need it. I've always thought during my holidays especially summer I'd rather relax and go on holiday instead of getting a job. If I don't have to have one why should I? But that also means that my CV is pretty damn empty. Is me not getting a part time job because I don't need one a bad thing? Surely as an employer you'd understand that some people just don't need the money from one and just prefer to do other fun things in their life. Any opinions thx?

A part-time job related to medicine in some way will be more valuable than, say, at supermarket.

That said if you can't find one I don't see the harm in enjoying your free time :h:
Reply 2
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
A part-time job related to medicine in some way will be more valuable than, say, at supermarket.

That said if you can't find one I don't see the harm in enjoying your free time :h:

Well I'm saying in general all my friends are just trying to find any job that pays well like supermarket or retail store to support themselves . I'm not specifically talking about my medic friends.
In the UK once u graduate from med school u r guaranteed a job any ways so don't think we have the same problem as other postgrads having to make an amazing CV. My main point is that since I don't need the money from a part time job, I don't want one. I'd rather enjoy my free time. It's not even a problem with finding a part time job I just don't want one. But then people say oh but employers would like that u still go out for the experience not specifically for the cash but I don't agree; I'd rather spend my free time in a fun way. I don't need the cash and I have the rest of my life for experience so is it a problem that this is how I view things.

One of my home friends even said how have I never yet worked a day in my life when he's had like 5 jobs in the past. Don't I think it's sad that the first job I'll ever have as a doctor will be my last job. And I'm like no. If people have the luxury of not having to have part time jobs because they're well supported what's wrong with that. (Soz ranting a bit)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I've never "needed" one but the experiences I gained from that and my extra curricular political volunteering has been invaluable in applications. Can't speak for medicine but I'd have struggled with nothing to say, and some jobs exclude people with no experience at all.
People don't always take jobs for money. Plenty of rich people work, even those who inherited, why? Because it keeps them busy and gives something to do and learn. Not needing money is a poor excuse IMO.
if you're a medic it's probably not important as you're not going to be struggling to find a job and will have references and experience from your placements

however for most undergrads it is really useful to have a job at some point, it's not about employers understanding people like to go on holiday if they don't need money - I'm sure everyone would prefer to go on holiday than work - it's about demonstrating relevant skills and if you're able to hold down a job for 6-12 months it shows you're not afraid of working hard, respectful, punctual, reliable, friendly etc (in theory as you'd have been fired if you were a bad employee) and it also gives you a reference other than a teacher/lecturer... any employer would rather have someone they know is a good and reliable employee and has a reference to say so than someone who might be a good employee but who knows cos they have never tried
Reply 5
Original post by Inazuma
I've never "needed" one but the experiences I gained from that and my extra curricular political volunteering has been invaluable in applications. Can't speak for medicine but I'd have struggled with nothing to say, and some jobs exclude people with no experience at all.
People don't always take jobs for money. Plenty of rich people work, even those who inherited, why? Because it keeps them busy and gives something to do and learn. Not needing money is a poor excuse IMO.

Yep so I keep being told that being a UK med student you will just follow the route laid out so not as big of a problem with the whole bulking up the CV. Otherwise yeah I don't really have anything to say in a CV. Before med school to build a bit of knowledge I did volunteering at a nursing home, but I mean I've never just thought to myself oh I'm just going to get a job just because...
Not working I still have plenty of things to do or that I want to do out of leisure so anything 'fun'. And right now because of that the only reason I'd take a job is if I needed the money. Not needing money isn't a poor excuse if I asked any of my friends if they'd prefer not to work they'd defo say yes but they have to to support themselves. Sure getting a job can allow u to learn new things but if someone could use up that time to just do whatever they wanted which they considered fun, that's not a problem right?
I didn't get a job until I graduated uni, don't worry about it.
As a previous Manager involved in recruitment. I appreciate that when you're a student you don't have time for FT work, but at 21 (graduate-age) I'd expect you to have some work-based skills.

Talking to customers, dealing with ******* customers/conflicts, working in a fast-paced environment, working long or anti-social hours, learning to keep professional and personal life separate, learning to be punctual, team work and collaborative working - these are all things you learn from having a job in any field.

I'd agree that working in retail wouldn't help you with a career in medicine, but volunteering would. If you're not fussed about the money do it for the cause. It'll look much better that retail experience, and you'll learn some invaluable skills in an area that slightly more related to your field.

https://do-it.org/ <- this website has loads of voluntary jobs (not just charity shop stuff!) I've just had a quick look under Medicine and Mental health and found things like Hospital Ward Assistant, Patient Support, Bereavement Counsellor, Chemotherapy Support, A&E Support.

Or try organisations like St John Ambulance, or Diabetes UK, Alzhiemers, Mind - some of them will pay you.
It's all about the experience. If you already have a basic knowledge of A&E before you start you're career, you're winning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending