The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know whether there is a GCSE edexcel computer science thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Huntlol
I found it very easy like I knew most of the things on the paper other than some of the legal things and maybe the last question.

for the database question I think it gave a hint in the question before, so i put (category = "comedy") AND (year = 2015) since thats what the previous question had its query set out as.
Original post by Cicada3301
Sure.

I'll put the answers I can remember and hopefully you can put it to the questions... I can't remember the questions and the order.

Idea that Character set is characters represented by binary digits (bits) understood by computer

Idea that unicode can hold more characters due to being 16 bit, whereas ASCII can only represent a maximum of 255 characters in 8 bit binary.

Lauren's Q) - Ideas about Policies (Eg. Acceptable use), Abuse reports, screening and validation, etc.

Idea that Dual Core has twice as many cores so can process more instructions and execute them faster leading to better performance.

PC Spec 6 market) Ideas about better CPU, more instructions executed, more performance... Better HDD, more virtual memory and if it's SSD has better R/w time, so better performance... Better GFX, can process more data from cpu into pixels, etc, better performance... More cache more freq. used data can be held and not wrote over.

ROM VS RAM... Ram - Volatile and Rom non volatile... AND ... Ram re-writable but Rom is pre-loaded at manurfacture.

Binary, first one.... 0100 for "4" and 1010 for "A"....

Sequence for order code ran in....

Remind me of questions.

LAN VS WAN:

WAN over wider area, LAN over short local area.
WAN slower as has more data collisions and encounters more data but LAN doesn't.

Supermarker Q)
Security, although I crossed it out...
Accessability.

Database Q)

Record Example: Age.

ideas about being in other table as foreign key.

Correct data types and explination.

for the website ethics and legal question i talked about the data protection act and copyright protection, she needs to make sure any assets she uses for her website are not copyrighted and under fair use so she doesn't get sued.
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

put something like this:
// the xyz is whatever they put before.

xyz (Catagory = "comedy") AND (Year = 2015)
Original post by jay1212
for the database question I think it gave a hint in the question before, so i put (category = "comedy":wink: AND (year = 2015) since thats what the previous question had its query set out as.

oh yeah the year i put that as well. I gave 2 examples, one in SQL and the one that you said. I was worried i messed up on that question :biggrin:
Reply 25
Does anyone know if answering the last question in the form of a flowchart would be correct?
Original post by jay1212
Does anyone know if answering the last question in the form of a flowchart would be correct?

Don't think so, it's pseduo code.
Reply 27
Don't think so, it's pseduo code.

My teacher said a few months ago after our mock that we could answer any question with code or algorithms that we had to write in pseduo code, flowchart or something like python. But I just want some more opinions.
What did everyone put for that 1 mark question where it was like "give one example of a record in the users table" or something? I made up the name of a person :rofl:
Original post by surina16
What did everyone put for that 1 mark question where it was like "give one example of a record in the users table" or something? I made up the name of a person :rofl:

Thats what i did, i put first name = John

Original post by jay1212

Nope, my teacher told us that you can only get half the marks if you do a flow chart apparently. I just did pseudo code and then a python version with comments to explain what each part does.
Reply 30
Original post by surina16

Original post by Huntlol

At the beginning of the question it told you there were three tables user, something and reviews (only reviews was the one shown to us) The user table had something like name DOB and two other things so you were meant to lay it out using those 4 things the table should have had in it. So a record would have looked like:
Name, X, Y, DoB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I actually quite enjoyed the exam. I got a high B during my year 11 mocks earlier this year without revising but with this exam I done some, so I am hoping for an A.

For the emoji question, regarding the use of Unicode over ASCII, I didn't say about ASCII having a limited bit size (maybe I should of). However, I did say that Unicode is universal so all mobile devices should be able to display these special characters, especially when the text or message is being sent to a different model of phone compared to the sender's model. (E.g iPhone to Samsung Galaxy)

I didn't particularly like the 'Lauren' six marker as ethics wasn't really something I revised at all, so I just said that the website needed to be open for all users, especially disabled students, allowing ease of access. I also went over some privacy and security measures; as well as saying that Lauren should not use copyrighted materials/media on her site without permission.

For the OCR supermarkets (inventive name lol) question I said that a WAN is lots of LANs over a large area, I.e country, whereas a LAN is a local single network over a small area, I.e university campus.

I'm glad I got both the binary questions right according to what you guys are saying.

The next six marker about Quinn's computer was really just referencing his PC's spec list and saying what he can improve, I.e bigger hdd storage capacity, more cache memory and upgraded graphics card(s).

I am actually really happy with my code to the last six marker. I used a python inspired pseudo code to write my answer which actually made sense in my head after sitting there for 15 mins trying to work it out.

Hope you guys done well.
I spent like 30 mins on the last question and I still got it wrong :redface:
Original post by Huntlol

Nope, my teacher told us that you can only get half the marks if you do a flow chart apparently. I just did pseudo code and then a python version with comments to explain what each part does.

Original post by jay1212
At the beginning of the question it told you there were three tables user, something and reviews (only reviews was the one shown to us) The user table had something like name DOB and two other things so you were meant to lay it out using those 4 things the table should have had in it. So a record would have looked like:
Name, X, Y, DoB.

Oh okay lmao I felt so thick when I was writing out because it would look so stupid if they were asking us to do something completely different :lol:
I copied one of the userID's, and then put "Eric, Smith, 16042000" (my birthday :colone:) or something similar :biggrin:
The first two page i will upload the rest in 20 minutes
Screw me i did terribly.. like.. oh my goodness, all of my weak spots on that paper
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

nah you use the same format of the query in the question above: (Year = 2015) AND (Genre = "Comedy":wink:
Original post by Huntlol

My teacher told me that, if it asks you to write an algorithm, both a flowchart or pseudocode will be accepted equally. When it gets to A level however, they will probably expect pseudocode over flowchart. That's what my teacher told me anyway.
Sure.

I'll put the answers I can remember and hopefully you can put it to the questions... I can't remember the questions and the order.

Database Q)

Record Example: Age.

Nah age is a field, a record is a row of the database not a column. So you mention like one of the users? Maybe that idk but not age tho
Reply 39
Here's a full mark answer to the algs question for you (edit: forum doesn't seem to show indentation - you know where it should go, but it won't lose you marks anyway):

INPUT choice
IF numbers[choice] != ""
numbers[choice] = "A"
ELSE
OUTPUT "Taken"
END IF
count=0
FOR x = 0 to 100
IF numbers [x] == ""
count = count +1
ENDIF
NEXT x