The Student Room Group

Is history of art a competitive degree choice?

Ideally I would like to do it at one of the Russel groups e.g Manchester or Birmingham, I don't want to do it because not as many people go for it, I genuinely have an interest for it, and my career choice would benefit from a degree in this. Anyway, if I did apply to these Unis with the predicted A level grades of their requirements do I even stand a chance? Or will I have to be predicted higher than the requirements, as I know some courses are SUPER competitor and only look for the best students such as medicine and law; is this the case for history of art applicants?
Original post by ambermariemorgan
Ideally I would like to do it at one of the Russel groups e.g Manchester or Birmingham, I don't want to do it because not as many people go for it, I genuinely have an interest for it, and my career choice would benefit from a degree in this. Anyway, if I did apply to these Unis with the predicted A level grades of their requirements do I even stand a chance? Or will I have to be predicted higher than the requirements, as I know some courses are SUPER competitor and only look for the best students such as medicine and law; is this the case for history of art applicants?

No, it is not like medicine or law.
Outside of Oxbridge and specific examples such as Medicine and Law, typically provided you have a well put together personal statement, sufficient A levels and are personable at the interview you should have absolutely no issues getting onto a course. In fact many courses will allow you to drop grades and still enroll (although this isn't recommended for obvious reasons).

You already stated yourself it isn't a popular course, so I imagine you will have zero issues.
Competitive when you try and get a job afterwards.
No it isn't a very competitive course

Spoiler

yes, you gain the skills of a history degree and art degree
It's certainly not as competitive than a number of other courses.
I think it depends on which Uni you want to apply for. If you are applying for Oxbridge, UCL or St Andrews it's as competitive as any course at that level. Glasgow, Warwick or York are also very good and again you'll need pretty good results to secure a place. If in doubt you should give the admissions office a call to understand their average offer. Often your personal statement is only relevant if you are border line academically. Oxbridge interview and, I think, UCL ask you to submit a questionnaire - they set three questions you are to respond to in writing. I think Warwick also interviews. If you are seeking a job related to art history, it's tough and very competitive. Your academic performance will matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
no

Quick Reply

Latest