The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IRoranth
would anyone know how to answer this question: "To what extent do some prime ministers, more than others, exercise more power"

?

I'd list the factors which determine the power of a PM in the first place, and then place them in context of past PMs as well as David Cameron.

E.g.

- Events.
- Personality.
- Size of the government majority.
- Strength of the opposition (including the cabinet)
- Support of the media.
- Party unity.
Original post by jjbloomy
Okay, so haven't read the entire chat as you guys managed do make 41 pages in 2 days! For unit 1 my predictions were mostly correct except for the horrible democracy question. I though I would therefore lol 'predict' unit 2 for you guys. Comment if you agree or disagree.
I strongly think that constitution will be a 40 mark question and Parliament will be the 5,10,25. I also think that PM will be 5,10,25 and Judiciary will be the 40 marker but not as confident.
Parliament
- elected second chamber
- backbench MPs (only came up once and that was in June 2012)
- could be effectiveness (question could be: Has the UK Parliament become an irrelevant institution?)
- Parliament and Executive

Prime Minister
- PM and Cabinet (or cabinet just on its own) I think this is the most likely question
- powerful or not
- PM's powers

Judiciary
- Neutrality and independence
- Human Rights Act
- powerful or not
- British bill of rights (this has been debated most recently so could test us on this)

Constitution
- codified/uncodified
- strengths of constitution

what do you reckon the chance are of parliament and constitution being on the same section
Original post by afrosenju
what do you reckon the chance are of parliament and constitution being on the same section

Parliament and Constitution have never been on the same section, just like PM and Judiciary have never been on the same section. Would be very unlikely for edexcel to change this
Parliament and Constitution have never been on the same section, just like PM and Judiciary have never been on the same section. Would be very unlikely for edexcel to change this

how many of the unit 1 questions did you predict successfully?
You know the sports direct case
Which mp basically fought it and which comittee?
Reply 825
GUYS how would you answer 'what affects the relationship between government and parliament??' I know party disunity is one... how weak gov leads to strong lords... WHAT ELSE? And please give an example
Original post by afrosenju

I would love they 40
Marker for constitution
Please God!!!!
Original post by xxvine

The BIS Committee , its ongoing though

Predictions sound good - for constitution i'd add success of constitutional reform since 2010 something like that from coalition
Original post by xxvine

Business, Innovation and Skills(BIS) Select Commitee
I think BIS chair Iain Wright MP fought the case

I don't think you need to mention what MP fought it as it's like extra info.
Original post by Foji
GUYS how would you answer 'what affects the relationship between government and parliament??' I know party disunity is one... how weak gov leads to strong lords... WHAT ELSE? And please give an example

Size of majority
Affects of coalition gov
Hi, could someone give me a model answer on a source 5 marker, i always lose marks on those
Original post by Defraction
Business, Innovation and Skills(BIS) Select Commitee
I think BIS chair Iain Wright MP fought the case

I don't think you need to mention what MP fought it as it's like extra info.

where would you use this information for unit 2?
thanks,
Reply 833
Original post by xxvine
Size of majority
Affects of coalition gov

So size of majority, blair had a big majority 400+ mp's, he easily passed Human rights act and house of lords reform. But how did this affect his relationship with parliament apart from easier reforms?

Also, affects of coalition, how does this affect relationship? Clegg and Cameron had to share powers but what does this do in relation to parliament? I'm confused on that part :/ Thanks for your reply though, but please explain it
Original post by alevelpain
Predictions sound good - for constitution i'd add success of constitutional reform since 2010 something like that from coalition

What would you put for that Q? It seems that something like this would be very likely to come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Geedorah
What would you put for that Q? It seems that something like this would be very likely to come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Failed reform that would have made better: AV & HoL
Reform that didn't go far enough: Recall of MPs
Successful: FTPA & EU act (to some extent) & further devolution
Original post by Louise12307
That would be great thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't seem to quote them to you cause you're on your phone, so if I just post it will that be alright? You'll just have to look for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelpain
Failed reform that would have made better: AV & HoL
Reform that didn't go far enough: Recall of MPs
Successful: FTPA & EU act (to some extent) & further devolution

You know that constitution Qu it confuses me
Your supposed to mention all the reforms that were made and how they were significant
What do we say on the otherside of the argument?
Original post by xxvine
You know that constitution Qu it confuses me
Your supposed to mention all the reforms that were made and how they were significant
What do we say on the otherside of the argument?

AV & HoL should have happened (thats the other side), but then you can evaluate that too.
My teacher just sent us his new predictions for tomorrow, they're similar to the ones we've already spoken about which is good ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465399435.788919.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest