The Student Room Group

How to get in touch with my more Pakistani side?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
I don't like volleyball and I hate cricket. I love animals and I love mango juice. But mountains....now I'm really passionate about mountains and walking and I really want to see the Himalayas and the other ranges that Pakistan has to offer.

Pakistan is just low on my priorities of places to travel to atm :/ Especially since none of my family live there anymore..I don't think their experience of Pakistan as a country was particularly positive, as they were Christians. They do love and uphold their Pakistani culture to some extent though.

The mountains are beautiful and you'd love it, getting a good camera will make all the difference too and if you get to know people in the area, it can really uplift the mood. I'm sorry to hear your family's experience of Pakistan wasn't positive, culture is always valued in my family, more so than religion as it is a part of you, I however rarely go to Pakistan but being a British woman going there, I just attract attention and it is rather creepy.
So I'm half Pakistani right, but I feel totally disconnected from the culture. I'm pretty western.

I eat some pakistani food, but that's about it.

Any ideas?

Another asian, ayyyy lmao
What's your other side?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm half Pakistani right, but I feel totally disconnected from the culture. I'm pretty western.

Any ideas?

Join Al Qaeda.

Any ideas?

Listen to Nusrat fateh ali khan -Dama dam mast qalandar
Lol, im half, and i find the culture sickening af, dont know why you'd bother tbh. The men & the patriarchy culture sickens me.
Original post by Oblivion99
Lol, im half, and i find the culture sickening af, dont know why you'd bother tbh. The men & the patriarchy culture sickens me.

can you expand on this?
(edited 7 years ago)
can you expand on this?

their patriarchal nature, men have more dominance than men in pakistani culture & their culture is too conventional and compatible with British ethos - dont get me wrong, they're not as worst as arabs, and pakistani food and weddings are <3
Reply 48
OMG YOU need to watch east is east and west is west it's about a half pakistani going to pakistan it's amazing I'm fully pakistani btw and have been to Pakistan
Original post by samaad
OMG YOU need to watch east is east and west is west it's about a half pakistani going to pakistan it's amazing I'm fully pakistani btw and have been to Pakistan

i have been to pakistan but i never got to embrace the culture as wholly as I anticipated because I live in the Islamabad compounds, so it was just a btech version of England for me, although I do want to see how villagers live tbh

It's not just Pakistani culture Indian as well . Hardest people to get along with. Such a stank attitude.
Original post by samina_ay
Another asian, ayyyy lmao

He's mixed
Original post by xobeauty
It's not just Pakistani culture Indian as well . Hardest people to get along with. Such a stank attitude.

its sad & detrimental, i watched a documentary about rape and this indian judge was like its the girls fault for being there,at the tme, where she was raped
their patriarchal nature, men have more dominance than men in pakistani culture & their culture is too conventional and compatible with British ethos - dont get me wrong, they're not as worst as arabs, and pakistani food and weddings are <3

Do you mean more dominance over women?

Do you mean incompatible with British ethos?

My family migrated to Australia and the UK and have integrated with society very well. The men are not like that :dontknow:
Reply 54
i have been to pakistan but i never got to embrace the culture as wholly as I anticipated because I live in the Islamabad compounds, so it was just a btech version of England for me, although I do want to see how villagers live tbh

family live in a small village in the north we went for a wedding when i was 8 was good would go again
I know how you feel. I don't relate to the Pakistani (South-Asian) culture at all.
Original post by SMEGGGY
What's your other side?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm half English

Original post by fr0sr_
Join Al Qaeda.

Do they have decent Graduate Schemes?

Original post by Sarpedon
Set up a corner shop.

Need money to make money.
Do you mean more dominance over women?

Do you mean incompatible with British ethos?

My family migrated to Australia and the UK and have integrated with society very well. The men are not like that :dontknow:

that depends on their men and how much they stepped out their culture :smile: their food, country is all beautiful but its the people
Original post by xobeauty
He's mixed

l knew that
[video="youtube;38UUz15fEzo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38UUz15fEzo[/video]

Learn Urdu, watch/read about Pakistani news and current affairs, enjoy the food, celebrate Pakistani Independence day (14th August). See if there's a Pakistani society in your Uni or city.

Quick Reply

Latest