The Student Room Group

Edexcel Music Technology June 8th 2016

Anybody sitting the A2 Music tech exam?

what are y'all expecting on question 4?

Scroll to see replies

Yep, absolutely dreading it. Was hoping there'd be a thread full of ideas about what could be on the essay as I have no clue myself - don't even know how to revise for it so I've put it off this late. Arghhhh!
reckon it might be on drum machines, the development of them or describe the features shown on the insert, or the development of an amplifier maybe. Looking at past papers and through the revision guide it hasn't come up and is something that is suggested to look at in the revision guide!
Reply 3
Original post by JJWalker98
reckon it might be on drum machines, the development of them or describe the features shown on the insert, or the development of an amplifier maybe. Looking at past papers and through the revision guide it hasn't come up and is something that is suggested to look at in the revision guide!

digital samplers came up previously closely related to drum machine

i hope something on multitrack recorders + DAW comes up
Reply 4
Original post by tomgotbored
Yep, absolutely dreading it. Was hoping there'd be a thread full of ideas about what could be on the essay as I have no clue myself - don't even know how to revise for it so I've put it off this late. Arghhhh!

yeah definitely a lack of music tech stuff this year...

but leaving it this late kinda shooting yourself in the foot mate.

if its worth anything, look at: Amplifiers, Drum machines, Reverb outboards, multitrack recorders, and the Internet
I hope it's about MIDI or something. Still time to revise though!
Reply 6
Midi's possible, don't think it's been covered before.

Btw post back here after the exam, curious to know how we all found it lol
That was gross
what did you all think of it?
Reply 9
Original post by captivewillie
That was gross

Thought it wasn't that bad, but way harder than I thought it would be
What did y'all answer for question 4?
The phase question......God...
Original post by kevinbruyne
What did y'all answer for question 4?

4B, which was fine, but really annoyed as i'd leant tons of dates and various models but didn't have to use it...
I did the mastering one, was about to do the guitar one but i compeletly forgot everything about it during the exam haha

That bass recreation was a *****hh!
the bass recreation was quite hard, remember people, you are not the only ones who found it hard, if you did then others did too
That phase cancellation wasn't too bad but the levels of the sine waves had to be almost identical. Then just invert the polarity of one of the sine waves. Pretty happy with that mastering question as well.

That bass recreation was probably the hardest question on the paper though...
Original post by KingOfTheMonkeys
That phase cancellation wasn't too bad but the levels of the sine waves had to be almost identical. Then just invert the polarity of one of the sine waves. Pretty happy with that mastering question as well.

What DAW were you using? I managed to get it very quiet but I couldn't manage to completely get rid of it. Both levels were the same and I used phase cancelation (using gain plugin logic pro x)
Original post by KingOfTheMonkeys

Yeah phasing was pretty doable for me, only thing was that i had a little click at the end which i tried ages to remove but couldn't
Original post by rowland123
What DAW were you using? I managed to get it very quiet but I couldn't manage to completely get rid of it. Both levels were the same and I used phase cancelation (using gain plugin logic pro x)

I was using Cubase, managed to get it pretty spot on (unlike anybody else in my class...), but I just phase reversed wave.wav and then set its output volume to -4.8dB, that did the trick perfectly :smile:

As for the bass recreation..... hah ha ha (it was only 3 or 4 marks though wasn't it? should have got a few marks for that at least)
I answered the question about the guitar pedals - I don't even know what mastering is! or at least certainly not enough to write 16 marks about it... what did you guys put for that one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending