The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i'm getting £7,510 maintenance loan from the government, and imagine if i live in park houses, will i afford it?

Also, how am i allowed to get the first generations scholirship or bursary they offer? My mum isnt supporting me, so do i just need to get a part time job?

I currently work at waitrose and just saving all i can for university, only got £250 saved, rest for holiday in august. Is there a Waitrose in sussex/brighton which i can transfer to?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 61
Original post by Hefty11
i'm getting £7,510 maintenance loan from the government, and imagine if i live in park houses, will i afford it?

Also, how am i allowed to get the first generations scholirship or bursary they offer? My mum isnt supporting me, so do i just need to get a part time job?

I currently work at waitrose and just saving all i can for university, only got £250 saved, rest for holiday in august. Is there a Waitrose in sussex/brighton which i can transfer to?

Heya!
Yes that will definitely pay for your rent! Sussex give you that bursary when you get here if you are eligible. It's based on your parents income and whether or not you are the first in your immediate family to be charged £9,000. You don't need to apply for it.
I work in the uni bars to supplement my lifestyle. Yes there is a Waitrose so ask your manager if you can transfer! It is a good 30 minute bus ride away though.
Hope I have helped!
Original post by KayaRose
Hi!
So I purchased the Rox wristband (it's totally not worth it) so I went to a couple of their freshers events. The student union also puts on events every year and last year sadly they weren't that well attended or that good (and they were expensive) an exception was the pier party which is where the uni hired the pier and we went on all the rides. That was pretty fun!
I also got the famous freshers flu which obviously wasn't that fun.
I would advise waiting until you get to uni to buy any event tickets. See what your housemates are doing.
I did enjoy freshers though 8/10!
Hope I have helped

Very informative, thanks!
Looks like I'll be staying away from those wristbands then haha
Original post by ludd-sama
Oh is there an open day next week?
Yeah there is one next wednesday
Hi again, got a few more questions.
Do you find out your timetables before you get to uni or when you start the course? - Timetable in regards to your lectures, seminars and workshops.
Roughly when does freshers week start and when are you able to start moving in? My birthdays on the 10th of Sept so just wondering whether I'll be at uni by then.
Also, I've been accepted on the straight Sociology course as long as I get 3 B's. Are Sussex lenient when it comes to grades? I'm hoping I'll be able to get a A in my Sociology a-level but worried I may mess up one of my other subjects and come out with ABC or ACC. Do you think I'll still be accepted onto the course?
Thanks for all your help!
Thank you KayaRose for answering my questions, ive just got a few more. I just found out that if i dont get the grade and get rejected from sussex then i cant apply for clearing there and its got me kinda worried... (knowing i need a B grade in both Maths and my course but most probably will only get C grade) so i wanna know what are my chances of getting into Sussex for a Computer science foundation? (i know that this year they have a lot of undergraduates applying to sussex this year and i know that computer science isnt popular for girls like me) and how accepting is sussex with applicants who dont get the grade they need for their course? ( i remember talking to the lecturer a few months ago and he kept on saying that i NEED the B grade, even if its a foundation course)
Reply 66
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hey. I'm just wondering can you give a bit of an estimate about how much it costs an average student to live there (can take out rent)? I know it differs for everyone but I'm just looking for a bit of a guess really! If I accept the offer I'll be moving from Ireland so I've no idea what to expect. Thanks!
Reply 67
Original post by chlostannard
Hi again, got a few more questions.
Do you find out your timetables before you get to uni or when you start the course? - Timetable in regards to your lectures, seminars and workshops.
Roughly when does freshers week start and when are you able to start moving in? My birthdays on the 10th of Sept so just wondering whether I'll be at uni by then.
Also, I've been accepted on the straight Sociology course as long as I get 3 B's. Are Sussex lenient when it comes to grades? I'm hoping I'll be able to get a A in my Sociology a-level but worried I may mess up one of my other subjects and come out with ABC or ACC. Do you think I'll still be accepted onto the course?
Thanks for all your help!

HiyaYou will know your timetable in freshers week. You log onto Study Direct and it will give you your timetable. Yes I believe your birthday falls on the Saturday of the moving in weekend. So you can either move in on the Saturday and go out with your new flatmates or move in on the Sunday. Freshers starts from the Saturday.I think they may take you with ABC but I don't think they will with ACC.Hope I have helped!
Reply 68
Original post by kasumikat
Thank you KayaRose for answering my questions, ive just got a few more. I just found out that if i dont get the grade and get rejected from sussex then i cant apply for clearing there and its got me kinda worried... (knowing i need a B grade in both Maths and my course but most probably will only get C grade) so i wanna know what are my chances of getting into Sussex for a Computer science foundation? (i know that this year they have a lot of undergraduates applying to sussex this year and i know that computer science isnt popular for girls like me) and how accepting is sussex with applicants who dont get the grade they need for their course? ( i remember talking to the lecturer a few months ago and he kept on saying that i NEED the B grade, even if its a foundation course)

Hey
I am afraid I can't answer that for you. I am not really aware of the leniency for foundation year students however if the lecturer insisted you needed a B then I think that is what you need. That's a pain about clearing however I reckon if you ring up on results day with your grades they might be able to fit you in on a suitable course! I would advise emailing admissions or a member of the computer science faculty.
Sorry I can't be of more help
Reply 69
Original post by sorcha94
Hey. I'm just wondering can you give a bit of an estimate about how much it costs an average student to live there (can take out rent)? I know it differs for everyone but I'm just looking for a bit of a guess really! If I accept the offer I'll be moving from Ireland so I've no idea what to expect. Thanks!

Heya! I think I have answered this in various forms earlier in the thread? I spend on average £120 a month on food (as a vegan) £20 a month on travel to and from Brighton. £50 a month on social activities. £40 a month on a pay as you go gym membership (this can be much cheaper if you buy one of the yearly memberships)
So I would say budget around £300 a month for comfortable living but I see students survive for a month on much less haha!
Hey
I am afraid I can't answer that for you. I am not really aware of the leniency for foundation year students however if the lecturer insisted you needed a B then I think that is what you need. That's a pain about clearing however I reckon if you ring up on results day with your grades they might be able to fit you in on a suitable course! I would advise emailing admissions or a member of the computer science faculty.
Sorry I can't be of more help

thank you :frown: im just so worried about not getting in and this is the only university i really want to go to, i dont want to go to any other universities (i most probably will do an apprenticeships in computer science if i dont get in). i have the computer science lecturer's email and i want to email him but i dont know what to say, should i wait for when its more near to the results day to email him or should i email him straight away?
Reply 71
thank you :frown: im just so worried about not getting in and this is the only university i really want to go to, i dont want to go to any other universities (i most probably will do an apprenticeships in computer science if i dont get in). i have the computer science lecturer's email and i want to email him but i dont know what to say, should i wait for when its more near to the results day to email him or should i email him straight away?

I would email now as it's still technically term time. You may not get a reply in the summer holidays. Good luck !

Im another sussex student (just finished my third year) - stop worrying.

Honestly, i've been through the stress of what you've been through and it doesnt get any easier, but you learn to deal with it a lot better. You have done all you can in terms of exams, you just need to trust in yourself that you will have done enough.

Stop being so pessimistic, whatever the outcome, just remember - that sometimes not getting what you want can be a wonderful stroke of luck, and whilst in the moment it can be devastating and like the world is crumbling around you, you may not realise the significance of that in your path further down the line.

Stop worrying. Trust you've done enough, and deal with clearing and grovelling to sussex if it comes to it, but cross that bridge when you get to it.
Original post by King Boo
Im another sussex student (just finished my third year) - stop worrying.

Honestly, i've been through the stress of what you've been through and it doesnt get any easier, but you learn to deal with it a lot better. You have done all you can in terms of exams, you just need to trust in yourself that you will have done enough.

Stop being so pessimistic, whatever the outcome, just remember - that sometimes not getting what you want can be a wonderful stroke of luck, and whilst in the moment it can be devastating and like the world is crumbling around you, you may not realise the significance of that in your path further down the line.

Stop worrying. Trust you've done enough, and deal with clearing and grovelling to sussex if it comes to it, but cross that bridge when you get to it.

yeah im sorry, i just having doubts in my head especially when people think that i must be really smart to be doing computer science and how this lecturer wants me to get a B (even my teachers at school dont think i should be doing computer science and think i should do something "creative").

im just really excited about this uni (like i spent ages looking at their videos and facebook pages and even on here about Sussex plus i've already made a good friend) and going to this university is my first step on getting to my first dream goal.

i should stay calm and think positive about my results ^-^ thank you for what you said. also i still got one more maths exam next thursday as well as my exhibition in late June.

(btw i can either be thinking really negative at times or really positive, never neutral, it just depends on the situation and what people say... so im not all pessimistic -.- i was just saying the stuff that are worrying me and hearing some opinions from current students... im positive about it all and even if i dont make it this year i can always apply next year while im doing an apprenticeship :smile: )
Hi, im starting bsc foundation psychology in september, just curious as to what the work loads will be like and how studying the course will be like, what will i be spending most of my time doing and if the library environment is as good to study in, in comparison to having your own room space :smile:
Reply 75
Hey!

My course starts on the 12th , and I will live at Lewis court phase 2 (own bathroom ). Do you think its worth having your own bathroom for that extra £10-30 a week? Is that true people who live in en-suite halls are less sociable and more introvert hence it'll be harder to make friends?

Btw, this might sound silly but how did you make friends at the start? I will not know anyone when I start.

I will have £110-120 budget for food,travel, social etc. will that be ok? ( accom. price + scholarships are already calculated in that)

What do you do during summer? I don't think I want to come back home for two months doing nothing. I'd rather stay there and work, is it hard to find a job?

Do you know anything about the gym on campus?

Thanks for taking the time answering!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Hiya! I was just wondering if you knew if I would be able to keep my pet fish in my dorm!
Reply 77
Original post by drBee
Hey!

My course starts on the 12th , and I will live at Lewis court phase 2 (own bathroom ). Do you think its worth having your own bathroom for that extra £10-30 a week? Is that true people who live in en-suite halls are less sociable and more introvert hence it'll be harder to make friends?

Btw, this might sound silly but how did you make friends at the start? I will not know anyone when I start.

I will have £110-120 budget for food,travel, social etc. will that be ok? ( accom. price + scholarships are already calculated in that)

What do you do during summer? I don't think I want to come back home for two months doing nothing. I'd rather stay there and work, is it hard to find a job?

Do you know anything about the gym on campus?

Thanks for taking the time answering!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Hello!
I lived in Lewes Court ensuite last year and I would say it is worth it. But that all depends on your budget and preferences obviously.
Do not worry about making friends! No one will know anyone and they are in the same situation as you. Your flatmates or even block mates will approach you themselves, everyone is very friendly.
I can't help you on the job front. There are only students working in bars/ restaurants/ shops so I assume it would be quite easy.
The Gym is pretty good and but it can get very hard because it is quite a long walk especially from Lewes Court. It is a uphill walk too.

Hope this helps!
Reply 78
Original post by rhiwright
Hiya! I was just wondering if you knew if I would be able to keep my pet fish in my dorm!

They do have strict rules about having any sort of pets in your rooms. But if you are careful and keep it hidden during inspections, you could get away with it.
Reply 79
I have heard some phone networks don't work well at Sussex campus.
Hoping that I get my first choice Northfield, what phone network is best for the accommodation and also the whole campus?
Do TV's work here or is it not worth getting one for uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending