The Student Room Group

What is your idea of 'hard work' in an academic context?

sss
Original post by Genialtropism
sss

Not necessarily one where you spend hours aimlessly in the library working at a poor efficiency but one which takes a lot of work/persistance to understand, and loads of hours spend writing something up and perfecting it and things like that.
Original post by SeanFM
Not necessarily one where you spend hours aimlessly in the library working at a poor efficiency but one which takes a lot of work/persistance to understand, and loads of hours spend writing something up and perfecting it and things like that.

...and has this paid off for you in abundance? Straight A*s?
Reply 3

I can't comment on his behalf, but for me, personally, mostly. I generally sucked at maths and chemistry... I put in hours of past paper work and revision time, now I generally get a solid A in maths and A* in Chemistry... Sometimes it depends on the difficulty of the question too.
When you find yourself sitting on a tree stump at 6am in a forest because you've spent all day and night doing art (literally) and needed some air :ahee:

It has got me to where I want to go. In Year 13, I commited to studying Maths at university, and realised I would need to pick up Further Maths, so I ended up doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A2 plus AS/A2 Further Maths (self taught). For whatever reason, I decided not to drop Chemistry and kept going with it.

This meant that I had to spend quite a lot of time throughout the year studying some pretty difficult A-levels and making sure that a lot of going information was going in in a short space of time. And not all of it was absorbed the first time around, either. Some concepts in A2 Physics/Chemistry (and indeed, the whole A-level) will baffle you the first time you come across it, and it takes time to read over things and practice questions before you get anywhere near understanding it.

And don't forget how many past papers you have to do during the revision period, as well as how many exams you have to sit (with Maths modules, you sit some in pairs if you are unlucky as they are set to be on the same session for whatever reason). It is pretty stressful and not something that can be achieved by cramming at the last minute - it takes 'hard work' consistently to not completely break down and fail. Whilst I did not get straight A*s, I got enough to get to uni and even get me onto a placement scheme (A-levels serve as entry requirements for things whilst in your first year of uni) and all is good.
consistency mainly...putting time in consistently to get the best grades
Agree with the post above... Being consistent and going above & beyond what is required
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending