The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akelly215
The binary addition question really didn't go well for me... And the image and sound questions were horrible, I think I may have an A overall in my GCSE though... Thank God for coursework!
For the Unicode and ASCII question, do you think it would be enough just to say Unicode is universal/worldwide while ASCII is American (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)?

Generally, the marks go for:
ASCII has 7 bits to represent each character (8 for storage), so it has 128 different binary combinations and therefore 128 different characters.
Unicode has more bits to represent each character, and therefore can represent many more characters...

They also gave examples (the emoji and the acccent), so I would just add:
...such as emojis and accents.
they talk all the easy stuff out but still it mostly theory
Original post by rflxvvrbs
I can't remember the supermarket question!! Hopefully I didn't leave it out.
I thought the paper was alright, tho I'm pissed that there was no hex calculations. The algorithm question at the end was tricky for me, but I always suck as those questions.
I thought the level of theory was alright. I literally started properly revising yesterday and I found it ok.

I hated the Joseph question!!!!! And ICOs or whatever. 8 marks down the drain already :s-smilie:

the supermarkey question was the wan vs lan question, about topologies, peer-to-peer client-server and alll that stuff
I'm just curious as an onlooker who didn't take the exam. Can anyone remember the binary addition question? Everyone seems to loath it?
Original post by Cascadess
I'm just curious as an onlooker who didn't take the exam. Can anyone remember the binary addition question? Everyone seems to loath it?

It was 107 on the top and 84 on the bottom so convert those to binary and they were the two numbers you got given.

Can't remember it but it didn't seem any more difficult than any other additions, not even an overflow error. There was lots of carrying though so maybe that's where people messed up?
Original post by zeldor711
Can't remember it but it didn't seem any more difficult than any other additions, not even an overflow error. There was lots of carrying though so maybe that's where people messed up?

Strange, the numbers JoeR provided seem to lead to a fairly simple binary addition, with only one carry and no bit overflow, I'm surprised at how many people got that wrong if those are the correct values.
Strange, the numbers JoeR provided seem to lead to a fairly simple binary addition, with only one carry and no bit overflow, I'm surprised at how many people got that wrong if those are the correct values.

There was a lot of carrying over. About 4 times I think.. I didn't get an overflow just lots of carrying

Not sure. My calculator can do binary addition so I was definetely right (used to chdckmy nswer as you have to show working I think)
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

wtf man
wasn't the question about year 2015 and genre comedy?

First I wrote "Year == 2015" AND "Genre == Comedy" or something like that
then i crossed it out and wrote
Year > "2014" AND/BUT < "2015" AND Genre == "Comedy"
Original post by U-GradeStudent
There was a lot of carrying over. About 4 times I think.. I didn't get an overflow just lots of carrying

I guess the values must be wrong then, thanks anyway though :smile:

That's ok :smile: I'm just trying to remember the numbers! If i remember I'll be sure to say :biggrin:
Reply 72
how many marks was the one about internet, world wide web worth, i think it was one or 2 but i can't remember difference,

i put that world wide web is subset of internet which contains other stuff like p2p, telnet etc

what do you guys think

also

what do you think about grade boundaries, some are saying it was hard and other that it was pretty easy
Reply 73
Original post by DerRm
Here's a full mark answer to the algs question for you (edit: forum doesn't seem to show indentation - you know where it should go, but it won't lose you marks anyway):

INPUT choice
IF numbers[choice] != ""
numbers[choice] = "A"
ELSE
OUTPUT "Taken"
END IF
count=0
FOR x = 0 to 100
IF numbers [x] == ""
count = count +1
ENDIF
NEXT x
OUTPUT count

Shouldn't the 2nd line be '==' instead of '!='? Because otherwise the code puts 'A' in if it isn't blank, so it would overwrite another letter?
Original post by qazwaz
how many marks was the one about internet, world wide web worth, i think it was one or 2 but i can't remember difference,

i put that world wide web is subset of internet which contains other stuff like p2p, telnet etc

what do you guys think

also

what do you think about grade boundaries, some are saying it was hard and other that it was pretty easy

I think it was 2 marks. Idk if it's right but I wrote "The internet is a global/worldwide collection of computer networks but the World Wide Web is a collection of web pages hosted on the Internet" :/

And I have no idea about the grade boundaries because more people are taking it this year meaning they should be lower than the earlier years
You can also put 7 bits and 128 characters for ASCII :smile:

Hey man, what did you get as the answer?
There was a lot of carrying.

It was: 1011 1111

1101011 + 1010100
Original post by Aamna-
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?

As low as Quinn's clock speed and the ratings of the films
Original post by Chittesh14
Hey man, what did you get as the answer?
There was a lot of carrying.

It was: 1011 1111

Well I'm an A2 computing OCR student so wasn't taking the exam, just interested in the thread. But maybe the definition of carrying is different at A2 or maybe im just misunderstanding things i dunno, but i've attached my workings, which only has one carry.

I did get that answer.

.13394057_630549457110687_5945373596437387806_n.jpg

In case you cant understand my handwriting the arrows are pointing at the only carry I encountered.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending