The Student Room Group

Philosophy A2 AQA - Ethics and Philosophy of Mind

Scroll to see replies

Can't believe it's coming up so fast ahhhhh. I NEED an A or I can't get into my insurance choice. That would be 66% UMS - anyone know how much that's likely to be in raw marks?
I also have a 17-page summary of this course if you guys are interested. My answers aren't exact, obviously, but I'll try to help where I can :smile:

Can I have a look at your summary please? :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Naimahkhan
I also have a 17-page summary of this course if you guys are interested. My answers aren't exact, obviously, but I'll try to help where I can :smile:

Can I have a look at your summary please? :smile:

Sure, I might as well put it on the thread seeing as a few people have asked me for it :P

Enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67jbcqPyI3objBvUUp5OEd2ZHM/view

Prerequisites: Black boxes are main arguments/points/definitions, Purple boxes are objections/arguments against, Green boxes are replies to those objections/arguments against.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dwittyy
X

Hey, you seem to know a lot. Do you have any idea how the raw marks will translate into UMS? I know I need 66% UMS for an A... Which seems unacgievably high. I'm hoping that will translate into a lower percentage on raw marks. Thanks.
Reply 24
Original post by Platopus
Hey, you seem to know a lot. Do you have any idea how the raw marks will translate into UMS? I know I need 66% UMS for an A... Which seems unacgievably high. I'm hoping that will translate into a lower percentage on raw marks. Thanks.

Well, looking at the AQA grade boundaries from last year, single-unit exams are 1:1 Raw to UMS marks. Also, for the Philosophy exam last year (which was a single unit), the maximum UMS was 80, as stated on the grade boundaries sheet. Since the paper was out of 80 marks, I think it's safe to say that it's 1:1.

However, I don't know exam boards that well and how they mark. I know that if a candidate got close to 100%, so let's say 76/80, the UMS would be credited as 80. They might do some other functions but I'm not entirely sure.

Since this year's paper is out of 100, 66% probably means 66/100. But, the grade boundaries change a lot and all depend on how well the average candidate does. I personally think 66% for an A is incredibly low, but Philosophy is a tough subject and a tricky exam to sit, so maybe that's based on the results.
Original post by Dwittyy
Well, looking at the AQA grade boundaries from last year, single-unit exams are 1:1 Raw to UMS marks. Also, for the Philosophy exam last year (which was a single unit), the maximum UMS was 80, as stated on the grade boundaries sheet. Since the paper was out of 80 marks, I think it's safe to say that it's 1:1.

However, I don't know exam boards that well and how they mark. I know that if a candidate got close to 100%, so let's say 76/80, the UMS would be credited as 80. They might do some other functions but I'm not entirely sure.

Since this year's paper is out of 100, 66% probably means 66/100. But, the grade boundaries change a lot and all depend on how well the average candidate does. I personally think 66% for an A is incredibly low, but Philosophy is a tough subject and a tricky exam to sit, so maybe that's based on the results.

Sorry, I mean I personally have to get 66% UMS in the A2 in order to average an A across AS and A2 - that would still only be a C in the A2 paper as an A always 80% UMS. I don't care about getting an A at A2 though, I just want an A overall.

So, you think that 66% UMS would be 66% raw marks? That's crap :frown:
Reply 26
Sorry, I mean I personally have to get 66% UMS in the A2 in order to average an A across AS and A2 - that would still only be a C in the A2 paper as an A always 80% UMS. I don't care about getting an A at A2 though, I just want an A overall.

So, you think that 66% UMS would be 66% raw marks? That's crap :frown:

I do, in this exam only. Read the first page of this, as well as the Philosophy grade boundaries from last year's exam.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF
Original post by Dwittyy
I do, in this exam only. Read the first page of this, as well as the Philosophy grade boundaries from last year's exam.

Thanks... So there's no hope for me. I'm going into clearing.
Reply 28
Thanks... So there's no hope for me. I'm going into clearing.

I wouldn't give up yet. If everyone does badly and you do well, you'll get a higher grade, which should average out to a higher grade overall. Basically, just do the best you can.
Original post by Dwittyy

Oh wait! All is not lost! Last year, in the A2 (old spec I know), 118/160 raw marks - which is 73.75% was an A. So, 73.75% raw marks was 80% UMS. So... 66% UMS would have been about 60% raw marks! Only a bit lower I know but still... Gives me hope haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Oh wait! All is not lost! Last year, in the A2 (old spec I know), 118/160 raw marks - which is 73.75% was an A. So, 73.75% raw marks was 80% UMS. So... 66% UMS would have been about 60% raw marks! Only a bit lower I know but still... Gives me hope haha.

Like I said, grade boundaries change every year, so don't bet on previous years' to predict what you need to get. Just revise hard and do the best you can.
Original post by Dwittyy
Like I said, grade boundaries change every year, so don't bet on previous years' to predict what you need to get. Just revise hard and do the best you can.

True. Tbh I'm screwed anyway. Thanks and good luck!
Thank you! This has been so helpful today :h: good luck for tomorrow, I'm no where near ready lol

Sure, I might as well put it on the thread seeing as a few people have asked me for it :P

Enjoy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B67jbcqPyI3objBvUUp5OEd2ZHM/view

Prerequisites: Black boxes are main arguments/points/definitions, Purple boxes are objections/arguments against, Green boxes are replies to those objections/arguments against.
Reply 33
Original post by Naimahkhan
Thank you! This has been so helpful today :h: good luck for tomorrow, I'm no where near ready lol

No worries, hopefully it helped. The books waffle on too much and everything is so unorganised, I just had to make my own.

Good luck to you too! I'm not very prepared either :/
Good luck everyone! ☺️
Original post by khaleesi98
Good luck everyone! ☺️

I don't need luck. I need a miracle.
Reply 36
How did it go for everyone
The questions were pretty straightforward and easy (I presume it's because we're the first year to try this spec) but the only thing is that might mean the grade boundaries may be lower. Oh well, it is the lesser of two evils IMO (the other being a hard paper, with somewhat low grade boundaries). Personally I think I got a solid B (might be wishful thinking lol, who knows), but I retook the AS paper, and that's main thing stressing me out. Why is results day so far?
I think it's easy to criticise yourself and think of all the mistakes you made, but now it's time to focus on our next exams and hope for the best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by vladislav
The questions were pretty straightforward and easy (I presume it's because we're the first year to try this spec) but the only thing is that might mean the grade boundaries may be lower. Oh well, it is the lesser of two evils IMO (the other being a hard paper, with somewhat low grade boundaries). Personally I think I got a solid B (might be wishful thinking lol, who knows), but I retook the AS paper, and that's main thing stressing me out. Why is results day so far?
I think it's easy to criticise yourself and think of all the mistakes you made, but now it's time to focus on our next exams and hope for the best.

What did you write for the first 25 mark question on dualsim. Did you include arguments and criticisms for just one dualist theory or more than one?
Hahahahaha.... Failed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending