The Student Room Group

Does DofE Matter?

Hi,
I'm signed up to do my Silver DofE in a few weeks but I really don't want to do it - I have my Bronze but I've taken control of this route card and I'm paranoid I won't get it right so I've been a bit of a perfectionist. My group is very higgley-piggledy at the moment and on top of GCSEs it's really starting to stress me out.

If I pull out, will it make a massive difference in the future? My grades are pretty good so I'm hoping that'll make up for it but do employers really care?

Thanks
won't matter whatsoever, by the time it comes to graduating uni, you'll likely not even have room for it in your cv anyway.

So unless you plan on skipping uni or going later, and getting a job after A-levels then it doesn't matter, even then, it doesn't even matter much :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Not at all!
I never did any of it and ive gotten an apprenticeship so it didnt do me any harm!
But if you dont want to do it, then dont do it.
It wont make any difference.
Reply 3
Won't make a difference whatsoever.
I've done bronze, silver and now doing gold because I enjoy it, not because it will help me.
If it's just stressing you out don't bother
I would press, why would you want to do it? If its for CV bulking, then there are other things you can do and DofE can be a stressful process to stick to.

However... I would stress the clear benefits that DofE does bring!

For me I helped lead a self-funded expedition to Tanzania for 4 weeks! Now, tell me that isnt a once in a life time opportunity:wink: It can really build you as a person, and help you understand your own strengths and weaknesses. Which, is key for the future; Interviews, Personal statements, Presentations, Teamwork etc the list is endless.

I repeat, DofE isn't the only way to get these benefits, however it is an easily accessible scheme which have many benefits!

In regards to Grades vs DofE (or any other extracurricular activity for that matter), Grades are the upmost important thing required for universities. So yes if you feel that DofE is getting in the way, stop and think about it. But does this require you to drop out? Talk to your leader, they will most likely understand whats going on and will discuss putting it off. Refunds for booked expeditions are available! just sooner rather than later and you get more of your money back!

Again it is your choice, and like others have said you could easily not do it and you will be fine. I hope my points provide some food for thought.
Reply 5
Original post by marmbite
Won't make a difference whatsoever.
I've done bronze, silver and now doing gold because I enjoy it, not because it will help me.
If it's just stressing you out don't bother

Agree with this, it doesn't make a difference but I still did all the expeditions for fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't do it if it will stress you out. Your education is more important than this.
I have a Gold DofE, I went into it directly so had to do it for longer.

It's about what you make of it. Will the certificate mean anything? Maybe not. But it opens you upto new experiences you might not of done otherwise.

I undertook a sailing expedition abroad. I had great/bad times with friends in the hills of the Peak District and Dartmoor. I undertook a sport which I'd of probably never done by my own accord. I now carry on that sport at university and it's great.

The platform DofE provides is a great way to expand your interests and I guess, give you something to talk about. Sure, it's not the only way to do it, but it's a good way :smile:
I started the bronze, did the expeditions and nothing else, and just sort of abandoned it. I seem to be doing okay so far so I wouldnt worry about it too much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by anabelrobson
Hi,
I'm signed up to do my Silver DofE in a few weeks but I really don't want to do it - I have my Bronze but I've taken control of this route card and I'm paranoid I won't get it right so I've been a bit of a perfectionist. My group is very higgley-piggledy at the moment and on top of GCSEs it's really starting to stress me out.

If I pull out, will it make a massive difference in the future? My grades are pretty good so I'm hoping that'll make up for it but do employers really care?

Thanks

make it up, say you got gold haha.
Hi,

Thanks

unlimited ucas and it's fun
Hi,

Thanks

Oh no! The route card... I did the same for my group and spent hours on it only to turn up on the day and be told our campsites had completely changed... Honestly it doesn't matter if it's not perfect and if it's worrying you, shove it at a friend and be done with it. (I did this last time and it was such a relief! :smile: )

It doesn't matter if you don't do it though. There's plenty of other things you can do in the future. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest